Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q1 February 2020

I would give a finger to participate in the alpha of DIABLO 4 …

Preview looks awesome.

Very sad the level cap is still 40, which likely hints to some paragon system…

…“spiked club in each hand to deliver intense blows that will stun players if they aren’t paying attention”…
I’d also like to ask the dev team to be very careful with hard CC. Part of what made D2 fun for players was the huge lack of hard CC. There was a single unit type that could hard CC(Udars, and not for long) and they were easy to outplay as a user. I’d much rather be hit with slows, chills or maybe paralysing that made skills harder to pull off, something that continues to engage me as a player rather than lets me alt-tab to reddit. Please be careful with hard CC.

Keep up the great work and communication.

quick question unrelated to the post itself in a way , how does one participate in such closed beta/testing version of diablo IV ? or is it very internal stage right now ?

I am pretty sure they are to copy the PoE release scheme and I also don’t like it personally. While it’s the best option for them (testing content on Seasons first in 3-months intervals), I would prefer flat 1 month Seasons like in HS with content going long before Season’s end to NS and everyone having the option to retire their Seasonal characters at any time, just as to extend the Season into next month.

What I mean is you can have 1 patch at every 3 months and still do 3 Seasons on it with NS folks getting the new content a few weeks after Seasonal patch.

People could decide how long to engage in a Season - 1, 2 or 3 months - and rank in the respected LBs. For example, those that enjoy longer grind would extend the 1 month to 3, while those preferring shorter spans will separate the Seasons and start from scratch each month. On the other side, those playing NS mostly could just retire their Seasonal characters the moment the patch hits NS.

There is A LOT they can do to improve Seasonal and NS experience, no matter whether they release content on 1, 3 or 6 month basis.

https://i.imgur.com/NGFEfef.png

I think that is what “DETAILS” do.

I really don’t care about how often they release new content. New content is always better. But imagine, in borderlands 3 you had to create a new character, every time they bring new content. XD
Just let me play it. Where’s the problem? We are not beta testers after buying the game. Test your stuff and give it to me to play it with my main.

The main issue is the new content might turn to be bad for the current game. And this might require more testers (in the form of real players) to be seen thus the case with PoE release schedule.

But how is that even relevant anymore when the main focus of all players is only on seasonal content and characters? Like, they test it…for what? Noone is playing NS anymore xD everyone finishes the new season and goes back to PoE, wolcen, what ever.

If you mean D3, I am pretty sure NS scene at high levels is still pretty functional there.

But their aim for D4 is exactly that - to push Seasonal play at maximum - since this serves for most hype with regular “resets”. I think they can do that and still keep NS in D4 not dead and interesting (for example allowing for more non-restricted trading at NS-only).

What I hope is they don’t force players into play styles - be it play Seasons on all costs, or play multi on all costs, or play with that meta build on all costs, or play in that particular role in groups etc… Give us the freedom and let us choose what you (the company) want not because it makes you more income (and you power creep it to the sky), but because it’s the more interesting way to experience the game.

I just don’t get the restart thing. Make it optional. Like a hardcore character, with an own leaderboard. Noone is complaining about unbalanced items in your holy NS world, that noons cares about anyway. Stop splitting the player base. That’s more relevant.

This might happen if they remove all LBs, but then a lot of people will abandon the game, so they better split the player base.

People can still play together, no?
Just make shared servers for old characters and new seasonal characters and give the new ones their own leaderboard.

Yes, but the new ones playing with old ones will gain advantage over the new ones playing with new ones only.

That’s a really nice update, thanks for sharing! Although I wasn’t at Blizzcon and didn’t know about the feedback you got, it’s really interesting to read about all the decisions going into UI development.

I’m also really looking forward to the console coop-mode. Having played my first few thousand hours of D3 on pc and then getting it for my old PS3 as well, I was surprised how much fun it is and how straightforward the controls felt. (Unfortunately ps3 missed a lot of the quality of life updates I knew from the pc version, so it got a bit stale after some time - but I still enjoy playing it from time to time!)

What I would really like to know about in one of your future updates is how exactly couch coop and crossplay between pc and console would work. In my personal situation I would probably play most of the time on PC online with friends, but would also really enjoy couch coop mode with my girlfriend or people visiting. Can I just plug my PC into the tv and get two controllers attached to the PC? Is couch coop only possible for consoles? Can I access my character I played on PC also via the console version?

Everytime I read about D4 or look for some news I get incredibly excited! Keep up the regular spotlights, make the game as good as possible and have fun doing so! I don’t care if I have to wait a few years, the anticipation is only going up! Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just one question, when you will share with us something good and unique and not this casual crap that this game SHOULD have?

3 Likes

You can just go, level up your character and then play with your friends who don’t care about races and just want to see the new content. Yes. The old characters can start farming that gear earlier. If you want to balance that, for D3 you would have to give access to the new content for new characters like…20 min. earlier? XD
It’s not an argument.

More slots, smaller numbers would have the same effect yet still allow more customization of the character. If they’re not throwing in damage multipliers, balancing 13 slots shouldn’t be nearly as difficult as they made it for Diablo 3.

If they’re going to remove slots, at least remove ones that don’t appear on the character: Rings and amulets. That’d be a fair compromise if they’re Hell bent on trimming gear down.

2 Likes

Belt and bracers never showed up and shoulders are incorporated I to the chest, belts show on pants like D3, so nothing’s missing visually.

They could make bracers and belt make a difference visually, especially bracers considering they typically cover nearly your entire forearm… Rings and amulet would never been seen anyways.

Shoulders are obviously seen.

1 Like

They could, and should, I was just pointing out even with less slots nothing changed from our appearance.