Diablo III Retail key from release showing as starter edition

basically title, i have purchased the game on release back in 2012/2013, played alot and had characters at level 60. Installed the game again today and saw i have no characters and my game is a “starter edition”.

It says i have an active licence on my account in the games&subscription section

edit: i switched to the other regions and it changed nothing. no characters, no full version

no its not the wrong email, i’m 100% sure and i have already tried other emails i used back then.

why would i need to provide ID to prove i’m the rightful owner, i never gave blizzard my personal details in the first place, i bought diablo 3 with cash in retail. i have the CD keys, the original packaging and even the recipe

1 Like

In order to play it, you had to create a Battlenet account (if you didn’t already have one) and register the license code to that account. Your Battlenet account has details like your name / address. This is why Blizzard will require ID from you, to prove you are who you say you are. If they didn’t do this, someone else could file a ticket, say they were you, and get your account.

i dont think you understand, i am logged into my battle.net account, it has my diablo III and diablo II cdkeys locked to it, but all my old characters are gone and it says its now a starter version.

how would i be logged into the wrong account if my d2 keys are in this account aswell … lmao

why did my d3 key turn into some starter version and where are my old characters

1 Like

So, are you logging into the Battlenet client / Diablo III with the same credentials as you’re using to view your account on the website?

I am having the exact same issue except my old characters are still available has anyone figured this out yet? I have the actual standard edition DVD with key code

Hi:

Yes… characters aren’t deleted if you don’t play the game for some time or, even, a very long time. Your profile shows only 2 heroes… a level 13 barbarian and a level 1 monk. It looks as if your account is a Starter Edition account.

Question : when you launch the BattleNet App, does it say “Starter Edition” as in this screenshot ?

If it does, that would confirm that you account is a Starter Edition (i.e., free) account.

Perhaps you did not redeem the key code that came with your DVD ?? You can redeem your code here: https://account.battle.net/overview

If, when trying to redeem the key code, you get a message that the code has already been used, it means that you are using the wrong e-mail to connect to BattleNet; if you cannot remember what your e-mail and password for the game is, you will need to contact Blizzard Support directly and ask them to help you – account issues cannot be resolved on the forums for privacy and account security reasons.

You can reach Blizzard Support by clicking the Contact Us button at the bottom of the form here: Blizzard Support - Contact Support

You will likely need to provide some identification to prove that you are the owner of the account… see this Support note for more information:

Read it carefully, it provides detailed information on how you need to block off some of the non-required information.

Best of luck !!

1 Like

Hey there,

Please open a ticket for this type of issue, and do not post the code online. Posting codes online will put them at risk for fraudulent use. Only provide the code to the support staff as a photograph attached to the ticket. Our support staff can use the code to locate the original account.

Thank you.

according to your current “game” account statistic:
1491 Lifetime Kills
46 Elite Kills (barb 13lv killed them all)
company Progression info also locked

so… yeah this account 99.9999% wrong.
and you have another one account.

3 Likes

Hey there EMalatesta,

I looked over the account you’re posting with and do see it’s just the starter(free) version of Diablo 3 there. Game licenses do not just disappear so it should be around still. We just have to find what Battle.net account it’s linked to so you can then log in and continue playing what was already purchased.

Since personal information must be discussed, creating a ticket is going to be the only way to fully help. This link should help get started.

In the ticket, please include as much of the following information as possible as it can all be used to find the game:

• Order ID
  • CD key
  • Possible emails used
  • Battletags that may have been used

Generally we need to verify the owner is talking to us too, so including a picture or scan of government issued ID may also be wise. If you think an email update is needed, please also include one that is not already used for a Battle.net account so we can make such an update along with a password reset.

2 Likes

Glad to see I got the proper menu selection right. He also posted on the Bnet general forums and I answered it there with an almost identical post.

All bases covered!

1 Like

I appreciate the effort to solve my problem despite my obvious frustration. I will follow the advice and attempt once more to open a ticket with the link you (Ironthorne) provided and as much information as I can provide.

It is important to me to give the honest feedback of my struggles and avoidance of Blizzard over the years. I’ve just never had a good experience and I have always felt the company had a money-first philosophy. However, I’m excited to try Diablo II: Resurrected, as that original release defined a large part of my childhood. I’m so grateful it’s back and will be purchasing it. Thanks again for trying to help me, and please accept my apology if I came off as disrespectful or rude.

I will follow up when problem is solved. Take care.