Diablo | BlizzConline Q&A Thread

For the sake organized questions, I have composed several questions and given them three categories of importance.

Burning questions

1. How will the loot hunt keep us engaged and excited about drops? Will there be varying degrees of “rarity” on unique items and other items, with some being extremely low drop chance (such as SOJ in Diablo 2, or even as rare as Tyrael’s Might)?

2. What changes are you making to the skill tree and leveling up, to allow for not only many different builds per class, but also a fun sense of choice driven progression?

3. What is trading going to look like? Will I be able to share any loot I find with my friends?

4. Diablo is a series that is known for being extremely re-playable, due to it’s many classes, choice driven progression, randomized environments, and randomized loot drops. How is Diablo IV going to keep players coming back for more, be it their max level character, or starting their 1000th new character?

5. How are you going to incentivize playing harder content? Will certain items be only attainable from higher end, more difficult content?

6. Are any enemy affixes all new or are some returning? Will enemy affixes like the freezing orbs from Diablo 3 (and seen in early Diablo 4 gameplay) be staying in Diablo IV?

7. What is the end-game leveling system going to look like? Will there be a max level?

Got to be asked sometime

1. What elements are in the game and how are they going to impact gameplay? Will monsters have resistances/immunities? Will elements have different effects/ailments?

2. Is there any chance you will bring back damage ranges for weapons/spells?

3. How is gold going to be made to be useful and valuable?

4. Will identification be coming back, and to what tiers of item will it extend?

5. What is the purpose of merchants/gambling, and how will you balance them in coordination with drops from enemies?

6. What is the difficulty level system going to look like? Is it going to be tiered like Diablo 2, have several torments, or an all new system, given the open world theme?

7. What will the crafting system(s) look like, and are they meant to help progression or are they also end-game viable?

8. How are you balancing party play vs solo play?

9. What is the cost of respecing going to look like?

Fun filler questions

1. Will various environments/weather have any affects on gameplay?

2. Have you considered hiring Matt Uelmen for some of the music? What can we expect for music/sound effects that captures the eerie and dark vibe of Diablo?

3. What do you see Diablo IV brining to the series and genre that players have not seen before?

I am sure I have SO many more questions I could ask, but I will leave it at that…for now.

5 Likes

When will we get DIABLO 4 FORUMS?

1 Like

When public test starts.

Is it confirmed or at least is that how it was for Diablo 3? I can’t remember.

I have questions on 3 different topics, and some of these will likely be answered before the Q&A, but I suppose it never hurts to ask.

The 1st few questions assume that the D2 remaster rumors are true:

1. Will it maintain the rarity and difficulty levels of the original game?

2. Will auto pickup be added for gold?

3. Will all runewords be unlocked? I assume the remaster will be online only, and perhaps there will be no need for separation of the runeword types (open, ladder, single)

4. Will The Arreat Summit be given a sprucing as well? It was a great resource for the game.

Now for a few D3 questions:

1. Are there any plans for a DLC at this point, or any new content at all?
  2. Any chance of allowing “O-skills” to D3, maybe as a seasonal buff using the cube?
  3. How about reworking some of the seasonal completion requirements to be in line with current power levels, so we don’t have to dance around clunky set dungeon mechanics, and, how about more incentive to run set dungeons?

Lastly, some D4 questions:

1. Can we expect an alpha by years end?
  2. Will we see more depth on items, as asked by many from the jump (besides just defense and attack)?
  3. Will we see runes and runewords make a comeback?
  4. How has the team planned to incorporate that incredible sense of of doom and drama provided by the amazing cinematic into the game?
  5. D2 gave us epic boss fights that were difficult to outgear, and D3, in large part, lacks this aspect. Will we see a return to fights like Normal/Hell Duriel, Normal Diablo, or the Hell Ancients?
  6. And lastly; what is the future of trading in D4, and if available, how do you plan on fighting the hackers and cheaters?

Many thanks for reading, can’t wait until Friday! I think I’ll stay awhile, and listen!

3 Likes

Everybody posting questions here read the first post again.

What do you mean by that? They said " We will be pulling from the form link [here] and from this thread and Reddit."

I get what you mean, but I figured we could always resubmit questions on Friday as well.

I don’t know whether D3 beta testers had a forum, but that’s the logical action since you expect feedback from your testers in more private form.

I doubt people with non-beta accounts would be able to participate in such forum so this space here will still function until official launch for sure.

1 Like

I am going to post my questions into separate replies starting with this one:

• In D2 the set pieces also received extra bonuses if you had other items of that set on top of the set bonuses. Do you plan do reintroduce this in D4?
2 Likes
  • Charms. The Talisman was cut from D3 and was supposed to be D3’s separate charm inventory. Do you plan to include something similar in D4?
6 Likes
  • Do you plan to convey more player statistics through the UI? Even D3 was falling a bit short, for example not displaying how much damage you dealt with a specific skill in favor of the all encompassing and rather vague damage stat.
1 Like

Hey I already send my Question in on the offcial Blizzconline Q&A website, but I thought I also post it in here.

Diablo 4 Question:
I am a great Diablo 3 Fan, but there is one point I really dislike about the Games Endgame right now and that is that most of the Balancing comes just from increasing or decreasing Damage Mulipliers on legendary affixes. This system escalated a bit, so that we got now 20.000% Damage multipliers that you cant avoid using. In the last Quarterly Update for Diablo 4 they also introduced a lot of legendary affixes with Damage multipliers on them. Dont you think this system will escalate the same way it did in Diablo 3 or are you strictly planning to never balance builds by just changing Damage multipliers?

• Jewels. Do you plan do bring them in D4? And as a follow-up question, how does the socketing system in D4 differ from those of D2 and D3?
2 Likes
  • Are you still looking for a way to reintroduce Mythic Items?
1 Like
  • Originally in D3 the Banners were supposed to signify how much you’ve accomplished in the game. Do you plan to introduce a similar system that could convey to other players your achievements?
1 Like

Are you planning on keeping the full light-up/flashing on enemies when they take damage? Does it detract from or improve the artstyle and mood?

2 Likes

How does the dodge mechanic feed into the gameplay across all platforms, including PC? Is there consideration of removing this and instead using skill based mobility/dodge actions?

It’d be nice if there was simply an on/off button in the option menu for it IMO.

Agreed on this question. Those super super rare items such as rare runes (jah,ber), deaths web, tyraels might, gryffons eye, Deaths Fathom, etc are what keep you going in the loot hunt and the level of excitement when they drop is one of the most fun aspects about loot hunting. Runes like Jah have a drop rate of like .0002% or something lol. Ever watch WoW mount runs when people record a mount finally dropping after 100s of runs? That’s the excitement when there is super rare loot too.

3 Likes
  • Would other items beside weapons and shields have implicit bonuses? Also are you considering adding other weapon implicits like range (reach) as well?
3 Likes