Diablo 4 - What do you want to hear about?

For hidden/secret/optional bosses sure. Nit for main campaign encounters. I wouldn’t mind an attunement if you will by finding items to forge a key, or with my lore journal proposal of unlocking enough lore to get bounties for champion mobs, and a themed dungeon for unlocking all the lore.

Optional stuffs with rare or hard to find items are good. WoW had some neat secret mounts. That may be too much, but something that not just a check list on the way to completing everything.

I liked some of the Torghast anima powers. Elethium Diffuse inflicted 40% of all damage taken back as shadow damage but you can no longer walk backwards. As a tank walking backwards to kite is a huge disadvantage but 40% reflected damage is worth it. So maybe something like a pair of boots that reflects a decent amount of damage but you are no longer able to dodge.

Another is one that doubles your HP but you are slowed 2% every second you stand still and rooted for a few seconds when you reach 50 stacks. Great defensive buff at the risk of losing a lot of mobility or you have to constantly move. So now, you have to really pay attention and hope you don’t get trapped or stunned and lose speed.

As pointed out above stuff like +50 dex, -50 int is boring and there is no real decision to weigh if you are a dex user and need more to hit a passive bonus breakpoint. Give me something fun and OP at the expense of something that would kill me if I make a mistake. Items like this should be very high risk/reward.

It is boring in D3, in D2 it was helpfull and in D4 it can be very interessting, mainly because every stat will be worth, not only main one. There is one thing i would change in D4 stats system: main stat boosts dmg… it is too simple and too obvious to put most of points in here.

Sadly only 3 attributes seem like they will be worth anything :confused:

Because of their connection with skill/passive tree every stat will be worthly. Just dmg from main stat doesn’t look good, but it still will give something from passives anyway.

That sadly also remains to be seen. We have only seen Barb using 2 attributes for skill upgrades.
But hopefully it changes. All attributes should be equally useful as attributes, and all of them should be connected to skill upgrades (heck, optimal would be if every single skill upgrade had different benefits from each attribute). Otherwise we are just getting a dumbed down “if you pick A you must pick X and Y” (or rather, if I want skill upgrade 1 i must get Str, which also means I must get skill upgrade 4, but cant use skill upgrade 2 and 3 :/)

1 Like

i still wish they would have stayed with the ADA thingies but in a different way similar to attributes now
these main stats will just lead to the same pigeon holes again :x
even with skills

I believe every attribute has 2 parts, first “free” unlocked with “hard point” and second gained with some amount of stat. If it wouldn’t be connected most players would max main stat for dmg boost…

It should be connected. But instead of str unlocking upgrade A, dex unlocking upgrade B it could be something like:

Skill upgrade A:
200 str => bonus 1
150 dex => bonus 2
100 int & 100 wis => bonus 3

Skill upgrade B:
100 str & dex => bonus 1
150 int => bonus 2
200 wis => bonus 3

Skill upgrade C:
150 str => bonus 1
200 dex => bonus 2
150 int => bonus 3
200 wis => bonus 4

and so on.
The current iteration seems like it will just lock each skill into a str version, a dex version etc. If that is how it ends up, hopefully each skill will at least have all 4 attributes as requirement on different upgrades, but as said before, the single example Blizzard gave so far only required 2 attributes of the 4. They chose that example… so it doesn’t look particularly promising.

As for “maxing main stat for dmg boost”, that would not happen if all 4 attributes are equally useful on their own. There should be no such thing as a main stat.

1 Like

be cool to hear about how they plan on balancing ranged v melee.
F/e, diablo 2 is destroyed by ranged, in the form of spellcasters over like, arrows.
d2’s a way better game than 3 but even it couldnt balance ranged v melee well.

diablo 3 i mean isn’t every single build ranged at this point like a whirlwind barb or strafe is the exceptions everything else is like ranged or psuedo melee but its actually ranged.

the last thing we want is one op easy to maneuver build like idk UE MS completely screen deleting diablo 4 away. even if the gear is ultra rare, the best build shouldnt be like cast 2 skills from a distance which is less threatening than up close majorly.

how are they going to get melee up to speed with ranged w/o shorting ranged so badly with insane mana costs or low damage weapons (like d2’s bows) or w/o making melee hybrid into ranged by adding ranged abilities to melee attacks which never made sense.

like how does melee compete with the speed ranged has?
how does melee get by without needing a group for speed, instead of solo and slow?

I get your point, we need keep in mind it is pre-alpha and it will be evolving, it must be balanced to avoid focusing on 1/2 stats, but overall it is on the good way and could be only better.

Music is what I want especially now Rockstar has own Record Label.

Own Drum Set for Diablo series, what I think. Or somekind of atmospheric shaman drums. Maybe even some Vocals, like after you die.

Seeing latest PTR notes for Diablo 3 I think we should hear more about season / non season focus of Diablo 4. Better sooner than later. In latest PTR notes there is literally nothing for non season players.

Seasons for Diablo 4 are already confirmed. I never liked seasons in Diablo 3. Introduction of that game mode split community in half.

In WOW, there is no seasonal play… it is better in that regard.

1 Like

Yeah. D4 should use WoWs content model rather than D3s (and I cant believe I am typing this, but I guess there are no good choices).
New content every so often, telling a coherent “story” (which does not necessarily need to be narrative, it can also just be thematical dungeons etc.)
However, without all the power creep that WoW uses. Introduce new different items in these patches, not better items. Only power creep should come from introducing new gameplay systems (like the cube did in D3 - btw, do not introduce anything like the cube…!). If such new systems are introduced, the also retune monster difficulty at the same time.

Anyway, no need for resets in this system, just pile on new content in the normal game mode.

Then you could have a completely optional season-system, where the only difference from normal mode was the fresh start. It would be more of a niche mode, like HC, probably. But that would be fine.

1 Like

If seasons are the only “new” content then game will die quicky.

Fresh start without any real new content is not good enough.

And also game mode where you are forced to try hard for 3 months if you want to be relevant is not good for me because I simply don’t have 3 months to try hard. And I dont feel like try-harding same content over and over again.

They should replace WOW’s subscription model with micro transactions.

This part I wouldnt like. Dangerous road to go down. And for those who care about such things, microtransactions would split the playerbase to atoms. If you had like a 100 different systems you could buy, like the “cube” etc. Effectively creating an endless amount of different modes.

Just sell expansions or “season passes”.
You buy this, and are now able to access all the content of the next 1-2 years of patches, for example.

It would be enough for those who like fresh starts.
And yeah, the new content would exactly still be there. Just unrelated to the season.

I add some of my new main wishes to hear something about the world bosses, endgame content and an end-or-endless lvl progress. Hell is coming brother.

If D4 goes the season route I’d like to see them develop a nice cadence, for example:

• Season 1 - Balancing and new items added to the game patch. Max keyed dungeon level increased by x and new keyed dungeons affixes added to the game.
  • Season 2 - New story addon. A story addon is a really long quest that tells a story that leads to some new place in the game with a chance at awesome loot. If uniques/legendaries drop infrequently in D4, then these repeatable (semi-random) story quests in D4 that could drop 2-3 guaranteed uniques/legendaries at the end would be worth doing (balanced of course against other game system reward structures). I wrote about this in another thread below.
  • Season 3 - Community Event. D4 team comes up with a race or some event in game that they track through leaderboards. The whole community participates in it - similar to PoE race leagues. They don’t have to be races though, they could be a special challenge mode of an endgame dungeon, but still something competitive. The community event could be a new PVP tournament.

• Season 4 - A new endgame mode is added to the game permanently. This would be the most content from any of the 4 seasons and include some new items to chase in this endgame mode (but these items shouldn’t obsolete all the normal items in the game).

Then, the next year they repeat this schedule with the same cadence, so players always know the first quarter of the year is balancing the game, second quarter is new story content, third quarter is a community event, and fourth quarter is a new endgame mode. The season challenge/journey system can be brought alongside each of these to give players a roadmap for seasonal content.

would love to hear about potential progress on crossplay. most of my friends weirdly don´t play on pc.

and how bout a track off the soundtrack?

It depends on how they make the Seasons. I would use Celebrities, YouTubers etc. Its no secret that game industry is old, and create kind of innovative content is harder and harder, they gotta pump up the entertaining. Real Money Endgame is one path. Private Servers to create strong communities, maybe around YouTubers?

WoW is actually good example how things have changed. When WoW introduced Raids, kids were hyped up, but in modern world if one makes raids, they wont even see it.

Speaking about innovative content, roguelike design might work.