Diablo 4 Town Portal

Changing portals would mean microtransactions.

It would also mean the cool old kids would be bullied if they had “cheap regular blue” as a portal.

Its like costumes in co-op games which I won’t even mention here, kids and young adults (18+ for D4?) have stress-levels to be “good enough” even with cosmetics these days.

Portal is good as is, I think also its a trademark of sorts.

If it were in different colors, I would rather save it for portal-jumping treasure goblins or other shift-realm-walker enemies. Free of charge.

Imo you should be able to see the town through the portal.
Portal(by valve) did it right.
Town portals should be blue (tradition, and to signify safety)
Portals to hell should be red…
portals to heaven should be light blue, or white (with light shining heavily from the portal)
regular portals could have a few visual bonuses if they felt generous
A portal to a snowy field should have snow falling through the portal and piling up on the ground outside

2 Likes

I think they have more important things to work on right now.

I don’t think so. They could easily use the magical gems you find in the world and socket them into your town portal.

I have a suggestion too, they could add ponies to Diablo IV, nothing too colorful, nothing too rainbow, but it could have a violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red ponies.

Works with goblins too.

I would actually love if Whimsydale came back to D4 as a joke, but I’m sure lots of people would cry.

• Purple - Socketing an amethyst into your town portal will make it The Chat Gem
    FIFY :rofl:
1 Like

How does the idea get undermined exactly? I’ll try and reword it for you. You don’t have to change the color of yours just keep it blue. Why should everyone look the same or have the exact same portal. There is no diversity and I would love for my town portal to be red while my friend’s is green. It adds to the identity of your character and other players being unique from one another.

When I see a portal I don’t want to inherently know what’s on the other side. What is on the other side? Should I go in? It’s exciting going into a portal not knowing what is on the other side just to figure out the mystery of what is.

It would not be a rainbow clown show as there will probably only ever be a max of 4 portals in town because the party limit is 4. The world events will be more of a clown show with everyone blasting their skills causing a rainbow show on screen. That is allowed, but 4 different colored portals in town is unacceptable.

I disagree. It’s an amazing Idea and i should be able to put a magical ruby gem into my town portal causing it to be red. Who knows, maybe it is a bad idea. I’m just an idiot that likes red too much.

And it will call “Whimysdale’s farm” and you will find Cow King and his heir riding on colorful unicorn and lead a bunch of cow cavalry (cow riding on ponies) to kill the fools that invade their colorful farm.

and when the cow king killed the players, his victory quote “please don’t cry at forum”.

if they let us change the colour of our town portals, I vote they include rainbow as an option just so we can see what happens on the forums.

2 Likes

Diablo 4 needs more gems. Why did Diablo 3 remove the skull and sapphire?

*Sapphire (Blue)
*Topaz (Yellow)
*Ruby (Red)
*Emerald (Green)
*Garnet (Orange)
*Amethyst (Purple)
*Diamond (White)
*Onyx (Black)
*Skull (Grey)

Because they had to suck the soul out of the game and dumb it down.

Would it be fun if Towns changed their location? Not that Ive fully thought it through but I think they might be able to do it.

Could be just me but its boring to return every time to the same old town.

If the entire overworld was randomly generated it would be fine if towns changed locations too.
However, it would not really matter, nor allow for any exploration, unless they also removed town portals and waypoints (since you can just port to the town otherwise). Which would be a bit drastic, and not fitting for the type of game.

So, what seems most sensible is a semi-static overworld, where there is a static order of areas; as in area 1 always comes before area 2 etc. (even if you can choose to skip all the content in area 1 and pass through), and where there is a least some outer barrier to the game world (even if the barriers shape might be randomly generated), as well as static locations for some landmarks such as towns.
Both D2, D3, and so far D4 follows those broad principles.

I don’t need portal colors, personally. I like the way they look and think too much visual flair can result in an artistically chaotic and incohesive look.

I will say that I think it would be neat if town portals were only used to go back to towns/waypoints and did not stay open. So you have to venture out into the world and be scared to die, and you have to consider what you decide to pick up along the way.

I see the potential “downsides” to this, though I think it would be neat instead of having the freedom to go to and from town anywhere, anytime.

bring back town portal scrolls

Now that is one thing I hope never returns.

Townportal scrolls? They’ve actually confirmed them during BlizzConline.

Well, blizzard has ‘confirmed’ many things I hope never returns (like trading, “ultimate skills”, endgame lvling and plenty more). Doesn’t really change the hope aspect of it :slight_smile:
They already have removed some of these again (such as Ancient items).

Well I wouldn’t count ancients as they were mostly just a placeholder and that Blizzard didn’t have much idea towards itemization at the time, considering how fast they removed them. We saw town portal scrolls back in the December quarterly update, and during BlizzConline, they confirmed them to be in the game, and since there’s not a sizable amount of feedback asking to remove them, I’m pretty sure they are there to stay, at least until some time after the game launches.