[Diablo 4] Question

I asked this question once before but seeing that we have new people on the forum.

  1. What 1 thing from D3 would you like to see incorporated within D4?

  2. What 1 thing from D3 do you never want to see in D4 as long as you live?

  3. What 1 thing have you seen in D4 (I know we have not seen a lot), that you really like?

  4. What 1 thing have you seen in D4 that you do not care for and hope they change?

Keep:

Challenge rifts. Bring me a weekly challenge of all the various solo endgame activities. This was one of the best additions added to D3. Every week we get to see a new build, sometimes weird and off the wall, other times boilerplate tier list build done sometimes at fast rates. It’s fun to see how others play and has given me a few ideas from time to time.

Avoid:

Any endless post progression system that has zero DRs that allows you to pump up a stat that translates directly to damage or health. I know why it’s like that in D3 and D4 doesn’t look to have it, but things are subject to change.

Add:

Diminishing returns on attribute/stat/affix gains. Sure you could stack 700 straight, but each point after 350 should be worth less and less. Numbers are just an example.

D4

I really like the class identity stuffs. I do hope they have something more interesting with the Druid and hope they do more than just the one class quest to pick your specialty for the Rogue. But I like unique classes. I find a strong class identity better than having a melee mage wearing plate and a shield.

I’d get rid of trading all together. You know my feelings on it already.

  1. The ability to replay the campaign on the same character, and at a higher difficulty than previously completed.
  2. Most charcter builds being over-reliant on certain items and/or sets.
  3. That’s a tough one, but if I had to choose one then: Skills having upgrade nodes that can be unlocked via stat point allocation. (Hopefully it’ll be expanded on)
  4. Another tough one, but if I had to choose then: Give players the option to either create a private game and/or private area once they leave town areas. (Might not happen, but that’s the top of my list of what I’d change)
1 Like
  1. The Cube, in concept but not necessarily execution. This seems to be the case with the Occultist and extracting essences, so done.

  2. Class-based-only skills and gear; some, yes, but if I want to play a barbarian that can throw fireballs, I want to play that so let me. And, it should be and remain viable, even if less optimal and therefore slower and harder.

  3. Nothing. Mainly because I have not really looked at any of it. From the little I have seen, none seems original or creative to me, just variation on tropes from previous games.

  4. Paragon boards. It does not sound exciting nor interesting. I’ve seen it before at least from what its been described as being.

#2 and #4 can tie together - just make a pool of skills everyone gets to access with paragon being the actual class-based things, as that is actually what paragon means, especially if trying to use an archetypal /fantasy trope structure.

1: transmogrify.
2. the punishing of not playing together with other players.
3. visually pretty much everything.
4. the body-types of some of the heroes. not fantasy enough.

1 Like
  1. The cube, as a concept.
  2. The ridiculous power creep.
  3. Skill trees.
  4. Shared overworld.
1 Like
  1. functional pole weapons
  2. your weapon disappears-fancy-skill animations
  3. runes
  4. legendary essence

Most of the D3 features I want to see are already in D4. Well, I guess flexible skill respec or armory.

D3 PVP

Legendary Essence.

PVP or Skill Tree.

Keep:
Armory
Cube in some form
Transmorgs
Challenge rifts
Goblins

Avoid:
Those stupid progression balls after killing an Elite
Conquests for Journeys
Experience penalty for solo playing
Unlimited paragon levels
Power creep
PVP
Rune words

2 Likes
  1. None of it.
  2. Most of it.
  3. It’s not D3, they may take the game seriously.
  4. The Female Barbarian - Looks like Carrot Top in drag in the cut scenes. Why they have female warriors twirling 50 pound 2 handed maces is beyond me. Historically women have always been finesse warriors. Not great hulking mastiffs! I love the models they use are of modern women with their little puny stick like arms carting around this massive weight on a stick.

Jay Wilson insulted this entire franchise when he produced D3, I think he did it on purpose to thumb his nose at something or someone.
He insulted the itemization, he insulted the story, he produced the worse possible game he could. After his departure, it took years to make a decent game out of it.

Wow, you don’t like D3 even a little bit. I’m wondering why you even take the time to post here.

Yes and no. I have posted here since the game came out.
The game was a big disappointment from what it could have been. An awful lot of people agree with that sentiment. A lot don’t. I have played the game since the beginning, what can I tell you other than how I feel about it! It won’t stop me from posting here on occasion.

In summation you might be incorrect as I like it a little bit.

2 Likes

If an awful lot agree it was a big disappointment, then something far more significant than an awful lot disagreed. Considering the bad word of mouth and review bomb campaigned waged by some D2 players that happened at launch, the game went on to sell like gangbusters on PC and consoles, then sold incredibly well many years later on Switch.

Your statement reads as if there are more that were disappointed than were not when I’m confident we can say this is not the case. Also as a long term Diablo fan, I did not feel the franchise was insulted at all by D3. Sure Jay Wilson may be a hard guy to like, but he had his vision for what he wanted to do and did it. I wish more devs would be this way. Not afraid to take risks, change things up, and not be weighed down by the fans of a series.

1 Like

Well, I can’t attest to the numbers, you could be right for sure. Although I don’t think I’d be as confident as you.

I’m not a D2 player, but I was hoping that D3 was going to be an evolved version of it, instead of throwing it all away and starting from near scratch.

I guess the difference between us is I’m one of the disappointed and your one of the fans. Which is OK, different strokes for different folks.

We will see what D4 brings us.

I sometimes wonder if some of the D2 fanboys are ever happy with anything, just look at the D2R forum. A vocal minority want to dictate everything. We still have a few who come to this forum to complain about D4 and it is not even out yet and we have not seen that much of it. Some of them have a cultic disposition and they worship D2. I am sure some of them will flood the D4 forum when it is up with all of the “this game is trash” nonsense.

3 Likes

The funny thing about being a game designer wannabe - you really don’t know if your ideas will actually be fun until you play an alpha version. What sounds good in the minds eye does not necessarily translate to a good game!

It could also be that, even when it is in test form, it was developed in such a way that removes the fun or reduces it. A good example is D3s vanilla crafting. On the surface, collecting multiple resources is a possibly fun - an expanded pool of loot to extend the grind - but it was not implemented in such a way that was overall enjoyable.

Keep from D3:
No trading outside of group present when item dropped

(also, treasure goblins as a concept)

Avoid from D3:
Only 1 thing? That is tough.
Endless paragon/progression.

(Also the cube/crafting/kadela, basically everything about itemization, lack of character build customization, RoS combat design, power creep, solo vs. group balancing, free-speccing & armory, lack of meaningful survival bonus, GRifts/endgame, and well, most things)

Like from D4:
Each class having a special class system (Sorc enhancements, Rogue 3 clan choices etc.).

(also Rune word system, potentially, as well as respecs having a, supposedly, meaningful cost)

Dislike from D4:
Again tough to pick only one, but one candidate could be
Shared overworld seems very problematic for having a meaningful endgame design

(other than that, most things about D4 just seems somewhat weak. Not unsalvageable, but also in serious need of improvement, such as; itemization, skill trees/upgrades, attributes, skill diversity, high dmg scaling, end-game potentially having gear-scaling (albeit not mentioned since 2019), no offline support, and much more)

2 Likes

1.What 1 thing from D3 would you like to see incorporated within D4?
The Cube.

2.What 1 thing from D3 do you never want to see in D4 as long as you live?
Greater Rifts, or any mandatory timed activity.

3.What 1 thing have you seen in D4 (I know we have not seen a lot), that you really like?
The open-world, at least the opportunities it can offer.

4.What 1 thing have you seen in D4 that you do not care for and hope they change?
Certain airy-fairy skill animations.

1 Like

Incorporated from D3:

Smart Loot, ideally, even smarter with less randomness in key values so that when really good, really rare items drop, you don’t need to roll 100s of them (items rain from the sky) to get one that’s decent

Banished from D3:

Paragon or any infinite end-game leveling system that encourages obsessive game play or botting. You have one leveling system already. Use it to define when you’ve finished your character/reached maximum. If we’re supposed to have infinite power gain, scrap the entire traditional concept of leveling and fully embrace the concept that power gain has no limits so long as you pour your soul into playing (ie, you use a bot).

Like from D4 Quarterly Updates:

A commitment to a darker, more core Diablo experience. I’m hoping this means more attention paid to providing that kind of lonely, desperate, and potentially terrifying experience we remember from D1.

Dislike from D4 Quarterly Updates:

Wokeness in any form. To be fair, there hasn’t been much because we haven’t seen much. Right now, it has been confined to things like “body positive” models. No one wants to play short, fat, ugly characters. This is a high fantasy game. I want the heroes to look heroic and women should not be made to look like men. And yes, I want succubi to look sexually attractive. That’s what the demon is. But I’m not confining my criticism to just this. We haven’t seen the story lines or NPCs yet, and I don’t want to see them try and sneak woke ideology in there either. Maybe others are willing to tolerate it, but it’s a red line for me. I did not buy D2R after what they did to the Amazon, and as excited as I am about D4, I will continue to vote with my credit card if the devs make poor choices.

1 Like