Diablo 4 Needs Business Performance Senior Director

Why would that be the case. Even if you take a 6 month break, the season pass content will still be there when you get back.
Unless you are thinking about paying to play a single in-game season. That would be complete BS of course.

I dont like MTX at all, but having recently purchased a season pass for Civilization 6, I actually think that model can work really well.
Every second month a new patch is added, with some new content.
You can buy it as a season pass; where you get 5 DLCs in 10 months. Or buy each of them individually as they are released.
That content will still be there if I only come back and play a year from now.

Kinda feels like an expansion, just spread out over 10 months.
I would still prefer the expansion I think. But this is working well too, and I can see why some would prefer this model, as it leads to a more constant stream of new content.

In Diablo 4 it could be something like; 12 month season pass with 3 DLCs.
January: New class added. 1 new zone, with 4 new enemy types, 2 new bosses.
June: New end-game mode added; ‘Boss battle Arena’. Fight against 10 completely new bosses, as well as existing ones.
September: 3 new zones, with a new side story for the campaign, including 1 challenging dungeon with 5 new enemy types and 3 bosses.

NONE of this should come with power increases of course.

I mean, if they can deliver stuff like that “for free” due to the crazy amount of cosmetics people buy, that is fine too. I wont say no to free stuff.
But I would also be fine with paying for it, just like if it was an expansion that included all of the above.

Yeah. Overpriced cosmetics seems like a bad idea. Though I’m sure Blizzard knows that better than us. I dont trust Blizzard making the “right” decisions these days, but they clearly have a lot better data on what price point people want to buy silly cosmetics.
Heroes of the Storm prices seemed completely insane however.

Based on what little we know now, that is the plan. They will have a base game, cosmetics, and maybe expansions or char packs.

Nothing worth power should be more money than the base game.

We shall see what they come up with. Blizz has not been super predatory on this front so I hope they stick with that.

1 Like

Path of Exile is Free.

1 Like

Lol. Yeah, companies offer “free” samples. “free starter kits”. They suck you in then to get the full functionality which requires way more money than an initial payment for the product would.

This has been going on for hundreds of years. People know about this…right? You did learn marketing techniques and scams in school…right? If not, your parents should have taught you.

We won’t even get into MLM schemes like selling knives, leggings, oils, herbal supplements, cleaning products…etc.

Nothing is free. Even those things that seem to be, have a karma debt. You can pay back the person who helped you or pass it on, but the debt has to be paid.

Have you ever played Path of Exile? It’s 100% free. I do not need to pay a dime to play any and all of the content and it has an insane amount of story (10 acts) and end game content that you can’t possibly run out of. And it’s free.

You can purchase things if you want, sure. They are not required, and not buying anything does not impede the playability or speed of the game in anyway.

1 Like

Yes I have. I loved D2 so much and tried PoE. I get exactly how it works.

Very few people feel the free stuff is enough to be content with. You are not wrong that you CAN play without money. I did. But they highly incentivize paid items and QoL things like Stash.

EDIT - which is kind of “duh” because free to play means they want you to pay for the other stuff you don’t technically NEED to have, but want. It makes the game better.

1 Like

Why would you assume, that a season pass would be 6 months?
Most games where I’ve seen that crap don’t have seasonal pass, that lasts half a year.

And besides, paying for grinding is just stupid. Give me something to farm or earn or whatever, give me something that I can buy (that is not Pay2Win buying power) and we have a deal. Don’t mix them.
Hell, even third party sites selling items for real money seems more honorable to me than seasonal passes…

That would be annual pass…

IMO this sounds rather bad. There shouldn’t be exclusive zones and dungeons for DLC users. Destiny 2 is already like that and it’s crap…

I’m fine with a playable character being a DLC, but something like zones and dungeons should be shared… and if they really wanna sell them, they should do that with major expansions or something like that.

LoL, no they don’t! So far they’ve been operating on entirely based on overpriced cosmetics.

It all started with the $20 dollar mount, which was called… something along the lines of Celestial steed, but it was widely known among the actual players as “The retarded horse” which speaks volumes.

The initial prices for skins on HotS were truly ridiculous.

And they failed to properly monetize D3, that’s why they are now willing to hire supposedly an expert to fix D4 for them.

“Predatory” is definitely too strong of a word, since Blizzard loot boxes (in say Overwatch) are pretty reasonable compared to how things play out in other games.

However, overpriced… I’d say most certainly accurate, considering we’re talking about digital items…

When Overwatch released as a $40 standard (as opposed to the typical $60), that was a step in the right direction. My point is, that cosmetics should also follow that model, especially since a lot of people around the world endure hard times, because of the virus, and even if this thing disappears today, the economic damage will be felt for years to come.

If Blizzard wanna secure more or less steady income for Diablo, they should drastically reduce what they typically consider reasonable prices for cosmetics… and they should look into my “bundle” suggestion. Like, if I can go on steam and drop $15-17 and get the newest DLC (with a bunch of content) for x game, then susrely dropping similar amount should allow me to get all the cosmetics released in a given month.

I have played enough PoE several times, and recently enough to know, that it’s full of powercreep and… well, basically garbage. Sure, some things are better than what we have in D3, others are worse.
Rolling bajillion times to get the sockets, the colors and the links is worse than the sets in D3.
With the base stash space, you simply cannot operate. My stash is constantly full.

In essence, you need to buy stash space in order to be able to play properly. It’s basically buying the “free” game.
That’s what MissCheetah is trying to convey to you.

And also, the moment there’s a decline, the game will likely get shut down or sold (or maybe it already was sold, I don’t remember). At least when it comes to Blizzard they have all their other games to fall back on.

1 Like

I didn’t. Just said a 6 month break. Could also be a 24 month break.
Just that you comes back to the game later on, and the stuff added in the season pass could still be there waiting for you.

Afaik season pass just means stuff delivered over a time period. A year is a time period.

Why are you paying for grinding? It is just new game content.

Is it really that different from an expansion? If you dont buy D2 expansion, you cant go into act 5, you cant kill Baal etc.

Seemingly with great success?
Just saying that it seems like people are willing to pay those insane prices. And more so than would be gained by lowering the prices. Sadly.

It could be, but often it isn’t.
In many other games so called Seasonal passes operate on the following principle:

We want money now, we want more “player engagement” ATM (for whatever corporate reason), therefore you have a 2 months time to far these… say 10 exclusive items with exclusive items (which later will no longer be obtainable, or it would take years for them to be released again) and you have to pay $15 for the privilege of gathering the things you paid for, instead of us giving them to you.

This is your typical Seasonal pass outside of Blizzard games, and depending on the game, it can be annoying and grindy.

Again, even something like RMAH back in Vanilla was more honorable, because when you bought an item, you got it directly.

Like, we can speculate if Blizzard would do a more humane form of Seasonal Pass, but I’d rather them look into what I suggested about a monthly bunble, that the chance of us ending with a what I would call a typical Seasonal pass…

Yeah, that would suck.
I generally dont play the type of games that would do something like that. Only one I can think of is Rocket League, which does have a season pass in that style.

The passes I encounter is more the DLC style. Another recent example is Borderlands 3, selling 3 DLC in a package.

Whatever makes you happy.

I do not think it is all about selling beer mugs and baseball caps. As some would have use believe.

Nobody said it was. What was said, is that this is not nefarious, not abusive, and not sneaky. This is normal day to day business stuff covering how they want to sell the game, expansions, MTX, and shop items (Tshirts, keychains, statues, etc.). It can also include spin offs like a graphics arts series or animated series and the way to price and market that.

Thank you changing the thread title to be more reflective of what the position actually does.

I would be down with that.

No one bothered to read the first 8 words in the first sentence. PureDiablo used that title. Meteorblade provided the link. I changed the title after I saw all the whinging. :cry: :cry: :sob: :sob:

This is what PureDiablo said:

DIABLO 4 JOB OPENING TO MONETISE THE GAME

There’s always a lot of debate and discussion within the community on how best to monetise Diablo. Blizzard is now looking at how that can be done with this new Diablo 4 Job Opening for a Director/Senior Director, Business Performance.

Whether it’s new DLC or cosmetic items, it certainly looks like Blizzard wants to keep updates flowing for Diablo 4. They are classing it as one of those game “service” models which does suggest regular updates to keep players engaged. That should in effect mean more than just Seasons. The current Diablo update format is getting a little tired so something new to shake it up would be welcomed by players I’m sure.

Whether it’s cosmetics for sale, new classes, or even new zones depending on the DLC model, it will be a challenge to find the right balance. At least the job does mention the word “ethical” for whatever model they decide on eventually.

You’re talking about something along the lines of Castlevania on Netflix?

1 Like

Good news is your should be TL3 today. :wink:

Nope. I’ll never be higher than TL2 on the US forums again.

Yea, and this new hire needs to take a long, very long, deep look at Diablo 4 and how it is incorrectly and insultingly looking just like Diablo 3, instead of Diablo 2.

It’s not an even split, not even close.
It’s honest, not even subjective, 99 percent Diablo 3, the art style alone gives that off, and so many other things. Such as the red borderline when you ‘highlight’ and enemy, they glow, the char runs all bouncy, im just going to stop here. RTC’s (cutscenes) in the gameplay “reserved only for critical pts” that is not an action thing to do, that’s a ‘take a break’ thing to do, a very slow thing to do to the game.

I think this game is going to be where everyone checks it out, bc that’s different than liking it outright, and then checks out of the game once the first year or two max of big patches hit it. They’ll make money, but not a good game. It’s 3 all over again, just w/o the AH its really really looking bad, bc it looks so heavily like D3, and nothing like D2. Why didnt they just say that at Blizzcon and cut the rope right there?

Right after Lilith, just be open and come on stage and be like “ok, it already looks just like D3, in many ways, and that’s just what we’re doing here, sorry”.

Blizz respect would go up if they’d own what they’re doing. They’re not going to undo this art and work already done, it’s over with. Check out 4? Sure why not. Like it for more than a few months bc any new game is somewhat fun just bc its new, not necessarily good? No. That’s not happening, from what we can see so far. This a D3ers best dream game, and a D2ers worst nightmare, not that it is a surprise in retrospect, the hope is poofed just like dupes in D2.

Maybe it does.

But I’d say a proper and passionate dev team is more important :slight_smile: