Diablo 4 Needs Business Performance Senior Director

This position would also mean D4 licensed products and likeness usage such as toys, clothing, breakfast cereals, and potato chips.

Epic Store would like to have a word with you - lol

But in all seriousness, I donā€™t mind games being monetised as long as it gets supported adequately for 7-8yrs like D3 has (online games in particular suck when they donā€™t get supported anymore or replaced) and isnā€™t asking a ridiculous amount for the content being provided (can anyone say MK11 Aftermath?).

1 Like

Nothing against D4 / Blizzard looking to generate profit and all but even though years have passed, I am still ā€œtraumatizedā€ by D3 launch and RMAH.

If itā€™s a position for setting the game price , merchandise, dlc, cosmetics and nothing that affects end game or is pay to win, all good.

For those of us without Trust Level 3ā€¦

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like thisā€¦ https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-4-job-opening-to-monetise-the-game/
2 Likes

How are you not Trust Level 3? I ate a 3 day ban for comparing the D3 Dev team to somewhere between Jimmy Hoffa and a bomb sniffing dog with allergies.

It was a joke, and I thought an apt one, but Blizzard was not laughing.

I went from TL3 to TL2 overnight when a forum software upgrade occurred without (at the time) having been a bad boy. Since then, due to a pun people took offence to, itā€™s become moot.

I too was disciplined for punning. #Never #Be #Trust #Lvl #3

1 Like

I know this is crazy to some, and has already probably been stated, but:

THE ENTIRE POINT GAME CREATORS MAKE GAMES IS TO MAKE MONEY

2 Likes

Crazy right?? Wanting to make a video game that will make them good moolah!

I disagree. They may wait to publicly announce it, but the development of the game is influenced by the monetization model thus at Blizzcon they will already have plan A and plan B about it. Whether they decide to share it with us is another topic, but I am optimistic they will (since they shared many details so early in Blizzcon 2019).

1 Like

Naturally they want to make money. Duh.
And guess what, that is fine.
Just depends on the how.

They might come with a full, payed game with full access and a free to play one where you need to buy access to certain areas, dungeons and / or other features.

P2W is a no go for me. Regardless whether the game costs money or not.

Open trading would be fine as long as real money cannot play any role. 3rd party sites like d2jsp must be avoided.l, in my opinion.

In my opinion, anything they sell using mtx should also be obtainable in game by playing the game. And not taking insane amounts of time which is often used to make people use mtx.

Taking a look at D3, Iā€™d be ok with them selling pets to shortcut finding that goblin so many times. Or selling all the transmorfs to shortcut collecting all such items.
Or getting the cube full to shortcut finding all those legendaries.

Paying money for new content and expansions is fine too. Although in case of many dlcā€™s or expansions/year itā€™ll become too much.
I prefer expansions with new content, areas, dungeons, story, class etc. over each such thing being a smaller dlc.

I intent to buy / pre order D4 when such times arrive. However the monetization thing must be clear before I buyā€¦

I dont think any1 in any of the communities under Activision are under any illusion that any new game wont feature 'not so Microā€™transations.

We can safely bet D4 will have a full store front full of Macrotransactions, and will continue to do so until Indie and AA devs take over the industry, which is still years away.
Likely cosmetics, Mounts, Pets, and Stash space. They will push as far as they can into game altering items (such as Stash and Mount/Pets that have looting /storage features).
They will likely even purposely push into the P2W territory then back peddle only as far as Stash space to make it look like they are on the communities side. Despite Stash space having an effect on gameplay like in PoE.

We can also safely assume lootboxes will not be a thing due to developments over the last few years of countries outright banning them , or banning the use of them outside of 18+ rated games due to the fact they are gamble.

Monetization models are designed at the start of development of any business venture including games, not at the end.

1 Like

i would say that the indie devs of GGG are the masters of MTX, making their game look literally like shet without cosmetics, on purpose? who knows?

In broad strokes, yes. The smaller details, no. Not when you are talking about a multiple year development timeline in a rapidly changing legal space.

Stop making me agree with you. It burns <3. I disagree with any MVP on general principles.

good counterpoint, but it wouldnt take much to stay on the right side of the line. No loot boxes. Done.

Mounts, Stash Tabs, Cosmetics, Wings are all easily saleable. The thing I wonder isā€¦What else can they sell? a certain sub-sect of players (meā€¦) care for nothing of these.

1 Like

Tbh, I donā€™t see anything more than that. During blizzcon, theyā€™ve stated that their mtx would be primarily cosmetics; so anything beyond that would probably begin affecting gameplay, and probably elicit cries of p2w as a result.

Iā€™d probably be OK with them selling gems, like Ruby, Diamond, Topaz. Maybe even runes; as long as they are not hard to farm. Iā€™m a little more flexible on this than some ā€œpuritansā€, I recognize Blizzard needs to make money.

I actually donā€™t care
They can sell all the loot if they want to
I would never buy it
Because Iā€™m not spending money on a game and then more money to not even play the game but finish it through paying more money
But I know there are people who do that so, go make your money blizz
I donā€™t compare myself to others in a looting game xD

1 Like

From the looks of that game will be an MMO-lite as expected and trade or not, weā€™ll get a monetization deal via a micro-transaction shop of sorts.

That sounds all good and well in theory, but are so called ā€œexperiencedā€ people the way to go? Because from a gamerā€™s perspective, many of the already existing models are quite frankly predatory.

Here are few thoughts.

• Monthly fee for Diablo would never fly. Itā€™s simply too old model better suited for games with very large amount of content like WoW, accumulated over the last 16 years.

• Seasonal pass:
    An odd take, but I believe this to be by far the worst business model Iā€™ve ever seen, more cancerous than Real Money Auction House and Monthly fee combined.
    I understand farming something in-game. I understand paying to get something.
    But to pay for the privilege to farm for something, thatā€™s just laughableā€¦ on the off chance, that life slaps you in the face and youā€™re busy with something else, you essentially threw money out the window.

The way I would make the itemization would be relatively cheap cosmetics released every monthā€¦ by cosmetics I mean skins for weapons and armor, mounts, perhaps even character models. Say you donā€™t like the giant Druid, you can buy a more slender version.

And they way I would set it up is, that you can buy individual pieces, or you can buy all released throughout the month in a bundle, which will be cheaper than if you were to buy all the pieces individually.

Think something along the lines of the Heroes of the Storm shop, or the WoW shop, but cheaper.
The goal should be to make money from selling larger quantities (since digital items donā€™t run out) instead of trying to sell a single skin for the price of several games on the steam platform.

Nothing should exceed $5 (never, ever, unless weā€™re talking expansions, which should not exceed $20 under any circumstances), a bundle should not exceed $16. Bundle contains 8 things at least, which if priced $3 each, you get the value of $24 for the price of $16.
At the end of the month, the items remain available for purchase in the shop, but the discounted bundle gets retired.

Essentially you get a voluntary monthly fee, where players get some good value for their money.
Go for actual microtransactions, as opposed to what usually pretends to be microtransactions, when in reality is a greedy company trying to sell a chicken for the price of a horse.

Remember when Jay was like ā€œand then we doubled itā€? For the most part the approach to microtransactions should be along the lines of ā€œYou made this awesome skin? Whatā€™s the price you thought of? Now cut it by half. Youā€™ll make more money if it sells to more people!ā€

There you go, that should be the new business modelā€¦

1 Like