[Diablo 4] Mature or Adults Only rating

on earth, i meant, after the snake. :rofl:

the first Sins atm;
-taking away freedom.
-taking away health.
-taking away wealth and comfort.

-taking away our most primal animal right, by making us putting on clothes a virtue…

Thanks for sharing. I’m interested in understanding why your experience was so different than mine. Did you go through the campaign single player or multiplayer? Did you enjoy re-running the campaign over and over and over? What was it about leah’s character that intrigued you?

Intrigued? Nothing really. She was designed to be a nice girl and I always had a habit of caring about fictional characters and their stories, unless they were complete a$$holes (probably leftover from Fire Emblem games).

I played vannila on single. After finishing campaign, I couldn’t bring myself to replay and get Leah killed again and again. I returned to game only after necros were released, hoping that we get answers if she can be saved. But I can’t give you detailed mechanical answer why. I guess it’s a mater of differing tastes.

Have I like, I totally agree. I miss D1/2 art style.

1 Like

Which has nothing to do with being AO or even mature.

They will never make an AO rated game because they simply don’t sell. Parents are a lot more likely to buy a M rated game for their kids than an AO. That rating is typically reserved for more ahem sensual titles anyways. A succubus with her boobs out isn’t really enough to make the game worthy of an AO rating, nor is extreme violence.

1 Like

I’d guess that this may be a big part of why your experience was different…

Though differences in taste may also be at play here; when i read the book mansfield park, i was bored to death of the main character who was just a “nice girl”. She was so basic and plain that she failed to capture my affection, despite being pressured to marry the dreaded Henry!

Extreme violence by itself can make a game AO, but it has to be over the top. Look up Hatred. It’s one of like 3 games to be made AO because of violence.

Again, guys. There are only a few games in the world that receive AO for violence. Think about Hatred and original Manhunt.

You really need to go well into cringy sociopathic territory before it becomes AO.

Also, AO is pretty-much a death sentence rating. Most platforms will refuse to sell it outright.

To become AO the game needs to be either p%&n (not just breasts and nudity, but 100% p$%n - or spin violence well into morally unacceptable and sickening sphere - which Diablo frankly doesn’t need. The type of violence for the sake of violence that you see in Hatred would not make any game better. Least of all Diablo.

Gore, torture, mutilation - are all themes that can be explored within M rating.

1 Like

Hi there,

I don’t think that we should be worrying about the rating of the game per se. What is important is that all elements of the game converge to give a coherent feel to the game.

The issue with Diablo 3 isn’t so much that it’s cartoony, it is that none of the narratives the game delivers work together.
The main plot line is completely disconnected from all other narratives, whether it’s the dark tone of the cinematics, the high amount of grim events on the side-quests, or all the dead bodies in the background.
For the bosses, you have :
Bosses that you haven’t heard about before fighting them (Araneae, The Butcher, Ghom, etc…), which means forgettable bosses.
Bosses that you fight after having thwarted all their plans, which means all the tension is gone.
Plus, The Butcher and Leoric have both been slain in Diablo 1, which makes their unexplained reappearance in Diablo 3 immersion breaking for anyone that played that opus.
If you didn’t play Diablo 1, the only boss treated properly is Leoric. If you did, none of the bosses is treated properly (though Zoltun and Adria are ok-ish).

The issue that I disliked the most is the journals and messages. Not only was finding dead messengers carrying orders from bosses very incoherent, but it also contributed to make them feel less impressive. As for info about the monsters, not only was it incoherent to have the info pop out of nowhere, but the info is given after you kill the monster, when giving it in advance in the right manner can help build the hype and give useful information for players that listen to the lore. Plus, there were way too many of all those logs. They break immersion when you are engaged in the main part of the game.

It’s weird to see D3 have all these issues, when both D1 and D2 did all this just fine. The main quest narrative is a lot less epic, letting the grim ambiance set its tone. Almost all bosses are properly introduced before appearing, and without accumulating failures, allowing players to anticipate the battles in a good way. If you get a voiced text outside of town, then it’s something that is directly linked to a quest, except for 1 background text per “act” in Diablo 1, making them a lot less immersion-breaking.

3 Likes

That’s true.

What usually happens in these threads is that the OP commits the sin of failing to research the rating system, and thus misunderstands what the Adults Only rating actually means.

1 Like

How about no and just a fun game to play.

Keep the Leaderboard. Make us work for drops and items. Dont give us shash tabs. Add some damn depth to the game, And ditch the D3 layout generator. The D4 demo screamed D3 level generator with a darkness filter. Actually make a boss hard to kill, without lowering the difficulty from one of 20 levels ?. Make beating the game the real achievement, not doing a dungeon run in fastest time possible.

I might old enough to be you Grand Father. LOL

our western culture has some dramatic flaws:
the freedom to practice virtual violence is a diety compared to showing some nice naked boobs… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Seems like it is mostly an issue with the US. Keep the rest of us out of that craziness :stuck_out_tongue:

here, in Europe, its as bad.
atm, i think only some countries, like the Japan, have a little virtual erotic freedom. :ok_hand:

note, my word that described the Japanese ero-art is censored… :rofl:

True.
I personally never understood why suggestive themes are frowned upon more than blood and guts galore flying everywhere, torture, characters like Trevor from GTA5, radical cults, etc.

In fact, I never understood why it’s frowned upon at all. What’s so bad about showing a completely normal aspect of life on screen? We don’t shy away from showing food after all. Why sex is so bad?

And I’m not calling to show actual private parts in every game. But sex is a driving factor of many decisions that people make, and games shy away from it as much as possible.

1 Like

you see, that’s why i delayed my opinion about you. :slightly_smiling_face: