Diablo 4 Feedback (From a D2 Former no. 1 HC player)

Actually, there is a difference. In one case you can spam same spell. In another one - you can’t.

3 Likes

Agree with most of this other than “looks like Diablo 3 re-skin”

As they should, they are brutes! One controls the elements, one smashes an axe into your head. Both are great as is imo

Agree 100%, 99 and 100 are iconic, I want to see either of these!

Pace looked a lot slower in D4. More purposeful. A major part of this is bosses dropping rewarding loot and being hard fights, and then treasure chests being impactful, worth hunting for.

The Monsters are Diablo like, because they are Diablo lore. They look the same in D1, D2, and D3 imo, case in point a fallen is a fallen and a skeleton is a skeleton!

I disagree, and when they announced the current iteration I geeked out! I hate when you can never play the game and get all the loot, some items need to be exclusive. Having Ancients and Mythics be exclusive is a good thing imo! But I think Legendary items should be tradeable in base form.

They said drops will be extremely rare compared to D3 and more in line with D2, MF will matter, and higher difficulties do not drop more loot, rather they drop higher quality loot. Sure sounds like quality of gear is going to be a thing, and it was not present on this build.

Sounds like D4 is going to have completely random dungeons, and world events will spawn all over the place!

They need to make sure they add this, I agree 100%

They clearly stated you can do everything solo, so I would think world bosses will tune based on players present, no grouping required either way.

We are in the 4th version, rules should be broken, we already have three classic classes, I want something over the top crazy. Give me a Blood Dancer (basically an assassin focusing on blood attacks) and a Demon Summoning Warlock or something fun and over the top.

OP: Well said to all of your points. Additionally I would add:

• Runes: Let’s do more than an IFTTT system. More complex but not as insane as D2.
  • Weapons: Please don’t just make these stat sticks!
  • Primals: This D3 system needs to die in a fire. An item should be an item with a range roll, not added tiers of the same item with different range rolls. This feels very lazy and NOT fun.
10 Likes

level of stupid in you is unbelievable. seriously, wow. Not even debate worthy.

3 Likes

Losers always say they won’t debate, when we know what they mean is they can’t. I graciously accept your surrender to the points I made.

1 Like

So this is really a “D2 fanboy”, more than everyone else. He should continue to play D2, and we don’t really want a D2 remastered under the name of D4.

4 Likes

For a guy that thought that the butcher was in Diablo 2, shows you didn’t play Diablo 2 nor Diablo 2 LOD.
Secondly, vanilla Diablo 3 was successful because of the fame the two previous games had for the franchise. Reaper of Souls was what actually gave some credit to Diablo 3. However, Reaper of Soul’s didn’t do enough to receive a second expansion. Which shows, that vanilla Diablo 3 had already done the damage to the original audience of the game.

8 Likes

Diablo 4 can’t be Diablo 3 either. The obvious choice is to do what both games did well. in that sense, it would be great for Diablo IV to use Diablo 2’s item system. For the way that game handled weapon diversity and different item types like whites, magic, rare, legendary, and sets; was genius. Plus the gems need to come back the way they were in Diablo 2. For getting a weapon in Diablo 3 that actually had cold damage, fire damage, and lightning damage was way to random.
Diablo 3’s combat is what should obviously return. Just please consider going back to actually have to use arrows and bolts. Having the option to switch from different weapon sets in Diablo 2 was great for trying out different builds and skill choices. For example, the Amazon could have the bow in use for one option then the crossbow for the other. In Diablo 3 i spend most of my time making Demon Hunters that focus purely on just one weapon type. So for one, I do a demon hunter that focus’s purely on Bow’s. Another would be the hand crossbows.

3 Likes

you can’t tell these d3 fanboys anything.

3 Likes

My main focus for this entire forum discussion I created was with this thought: If a Diablo 4 Developer were to read this and I’m positive they are already looking at it, whether people agree with all my points or disagree with a few (Which is completely reasonable because we’re all fans and all have a voice) how can we as a fan base give them feedback since we are in different shoes than them. They may not see what we see and the feedback provides them an inside look to how we feel because we all want the game to be successful at the end of the day. But the biggest key is being respectful and having an open dialog with that potential developer and some people are forgetting that (such as spacecadet13, etc). My biggest thing as a fan is I’m not here to say “My opinion is 100% right and yours is wrong”. The thread was made so I can give my initial thoughts as a massive fan, and everyone else can read what I said voice their own concerns and feelings but in a constructive way.

I never talked about UI changes which I eventually want to get into but I feel like that’s not as important since we are in Pre-Alpha and I think some people are forgetting that. I would love to see the classic Diablo text instead of Times New Roman or Ariel font, or monsters not highlighted in white as much when you move your mouse cursor on them but I think thats a discussion when D4 is in Beta or open beta.

At the end of the day, I feel like this forum post will make a difference on how the direction goes along with feedback from the streamers who were selected to stream the game at Blizzcon.

3 Likes

There was a butcher in D2??

1 Like

Sure then, show me a scarier monster from D2 that apparently D4 monsters should be based on.

If you don’t have the resource, spamming a skill does nothing.

Also not all skills should be spammable. That’s why there are cooldown.

There should be a balance between spammable and cooldown skills.

1 Like

The truth is, most cooldown skills don’t eat all mana at once. And yes, because some of them should not be spammable, they need to eat a lot of mana .)

MrLama explained well why cooldown is a bad thing and eating mana is a good thing. In one case you don’t have freedom of choice, in another one you have it. You can use whatever skill you like depending on tactical situation and resource, where every second matters. With cooldowns you don’t have tactical depth as you are strongly bound by timing and press skills as soon as CD finishes. This ruins the gameplay.

2 Likes

This is the video of MrLlama (Diablo World Record speedrunner who streamed Diablo 4 at Blizzcon 2019). I don’t have timestamps but watching the entirety of the 41 minutes is worth it as a fan of any of the Diablos in the series.

MrLlamaSC explains what Azimuth stated in very specific detail.

Edit: 22:30 is where he goes into his take and explanation of why cool downs are a negative thing in Diablo.

38:28 is the Itemization timestamp.

3 Likes

Good points, although I do not agree with all of them it gives the devs food for thought. I’d like to add the following:

• I’d love to have the kind of mercenaries like in D2 only with more customise options (remember the awesome act 2 auro merc with runeworded outfits). Make the mercs feel powerful.
  • bring back runewords (I know they announced some kind of runewords for D4 but it looked too simplistic in my opinion
  • make legendaries feel special to drop (unlike in D3 where they drop chances are way too high)
  • bring back synergy skills like in D2 and make choices more permanent (remember the agony when placing a wrong skill point in d2 and wanting to start the character over again).
  • let’s not make D4 about crit chance & crit damage & damage to elites like in d3. Make it a mix between those stats and +skills, combining aspects from D2 and D3.
  • don’t make us pick a certain skill from each category but rather let us mix and match freely between all skils (just like in D2)
  • I liked the tier system within legendaries in D3.
  • don’t use too many ‘currencies’ in D4. D3 went a little too far for my taste. Make gold important.
  • make a PvP arena (among other regular pvp area’s) in the big town so other players can watch in the stands and maybe bet with gold/items/runes etc.
  • Make Tyrael’s might truly mighty as an item. It somehow always was underwhelming stat wise
  • Give us the option of choosing between levelscaling or manually adjust the difficulty (like the settings in D3). I 'd like to stomp hordes of demon’s from time to time and feel all powerful.

If you’re spamming skills as soon as they come off CD all the time, you’re doing it wrong, unless you’ve built your character to be able to do that (with CDR), then kudos to you good sir!

Naturally, skills with a CD are stronger than spamable skills so it’s a bit harder to adequately balance, but it allows for more build diversity. Do you build around spamable skills? Or around lowering CD timers to use more powerful skills?

Both styles have a place as well as resource management, whether it be through pots or general generation.

2 Likes

Not everyone spam cooldown once they are available.

The tactical approach is to know when to apply cooldown. For instance if I use Cruz, I only considering activate iron skin when I am taking huge damage.
If Iron skill is a spammable skill. I spam at as soon I am fighting a elites & rotate among my spammable skill. How is that a tactic.

If cooldown is just activating the skill when it is off cooldown then I agree with him. But he has a simplified concept of cooldown.

Sure some cooldown skill are apply as soon as it wear off like Vengence, but how would you make it a spammable skill. Click every 3 sec. How is it an improvement?

1 Like

I completely disagree with you on this line of thought from you.
D1 was a crappy game, when computer resources were at a minimal offering.
So NO to D1 must be part of some requirement.

D2 was a great almost perfect game.
I played at least 12 ladder resets on East and Europe realm.

And I am over 2600 HC paragon in D3 and still playing.

So there is that.

Try again friend and stop with the “I am the best so you must listen to my drivel.”

3 Likes

I agree with everything said here well put