Diablo 4 - Controller support for PC?

Will there be controller support for PC players?

6 Likes

Yes, there will be.

They will offer controller support for PC, but currently have no plans for keyboard support on console.

https://www.diablofans.com/news/49145-diablo-community-group-q-a

6 Likes

Thank you for that. It is also a relief to hear.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t understand what’s the big problem of offering K+M support for consoles.

Presumably, the PC version will allow players to switch between control schemes, so I don’t see why they can’t offer the same to console. FFXIV does it.

Well my theory is from a consumer perspective.

Players who game on PC already use peripherals to play console games on their PC and know they can use controllers to play their games. While if they also own consoles, they already understand not to expect a console to work like a PC.

Console gamers understand this from the other end. They don’t expect to connect their K&M to their console because 98% of their games won’t need a K&M.

Yes, it would be nice, but that is up to ActiBlizz. Yes, FFXIV does it, but WoW is locked on PC with no controller support, cept through a buggy addon.

Sometimes I wished I got the FFXIV on console because of its portability. I have the Steam version currently, but I exclusively play with PS4 controller.

Oh thank you baby geezuz…now I can grind on my comfy bed…

1 Like

I wager that blizz are merely holding back that decision. They will wait and see if Sony and MS add official keyboard supports on their consoles and how it’ll play out. Then they will know if they support it.

Reasoning is simple. Technically, there is 0 problem. They would probably end up making two versions of UI for kbm and the controller anyway, and using those based on situation on both platforms.
However in the current generation, kbm on console is a rather crappy experience. Not only is it not officially supported, but it has considerable latency and buffer issues.
They would not want to support unofficial gadgets, obviously - that would go against their contract with console manufacturers.
And just in case official kbm turns out to be a subpar experience - they would not want to commit to that either.

In the end, what Blizzard do have is time. Next gen is out next year, but D4 is at least 3 years away still. So they can safely wait and decide later.
Simply because it is unclear if and how kbm will be supported, and it is a new thing entirely - Blizz are making a safe statement of “not having any plans”. Such statement can be changed at any time later with zero consequence.
So they wait.

thank you so much Blizz! I hated not being able to use a controller for D3 because I can’t afford a console.

Don’t thank them just yet - tried 2 separate Xbox controllers (One & Series X style) and there’s horrible latency drifting and all sorts of funky stuff going on with it. Was working just fine while I was on the mobile client.

well I won’t be able to afford the game or an upgrade to my pc to run it for a while so hopefully it will be fixed by then

You realize that post was made a year before D4 released and was clearly about D:I?