Diablo 3 PC version + Controller support

Hello I previously played diablo on console and loved it so that when I moved to pc I bought it again. However with the console version existing and diablo 3 being a pretty old game, I am surprised they never added controller support to the pc version. So Blizzard if you see this please add it to the pc version as it makes the journey more enjoyable.

77 Likes

I don’t personally do it but I know someone who used to before he quit playing…he was running a Mac and using a program called ControllerMate

Unless you use software to mimic kb/m actions to a controller, it’s not going to happen. The PC version was not designed with a controller in mind. The console version is a completely rebuilt game designed for controller use.

Alas, D4 PC will support controller use. Another example of Blizzard listening to feedback.

21 Likes

Get a steam controller and you can emulate a mouse and keyboard to the controller. That was the problem with D3 from the beginning though. It was made for phones and consoles and wasn’t developed for PC.

3 Likes

Can’t there’s too much of the mechanics that depends on a pointing device, aka the mouse. You’ll lose a lot of control to for the same reason, and that’s why consoles were granted a dodge roll to compensate - and why console versions was released nearly 2 years later.

Nah mate, it was the other way around. THey tried to make it console friendly during development, but realized it couldn’t be done simultaneously. So they put the console version on pause, focused on PC, and found some previous console developers to make it accessible to consoles.

4 Likes

I’d argue our lack of meaningful choices and limited abilities is proof consoles were a bigger factor in overall development. I have so many buttons on my keyboard but no more than six keybinds and it feels bad. It’d even feel better if we could have a bunch of potions bound that we could click through to fill the gaps of nothing to do.

No that’s just general streamlining of gameplay and choices. Look at PoE, Grim Dawn, Lost Ark, Wolcen and the like. Even Torchlight did a similar thing.

You can’t spam 24 skills in a monsters face anyway, you can’t gear towards so many different things anyways to be effective. It was about making it easy and manageable to degree that made it easy to play hard to master, and giving it as many options as possible.

If you want to use all the buttons on the keyboard, then text based games are very good.

3 Likes

That’s why I quit this game months ago and checking news about “controller supports” from time to time.

12 Likes

They are basically 2 different games. One was made with controllers in mind the other wasn’t. It would be too much work now to do that for PC. If they were adding controller support it would have been added in RoS.

That’s not true. They kept making it a point to tell us how wonderfully the game played with a controller during beta and that it felt much better and more natural than keyboard and mouse. They dropped support for it before going live obviously, for some reason, (I didn’t follow why because I don’t use them anyway), but it absolutely was at least developed, with controllers in mind.

One of many such Claims from Jay Wilson himself

2 Likes

shrug IMO they’re wrong - a game like this needs a good targeting system, and they don’t have one except the mouse.

So people like me with only one usable hand are screwed and cant play.

7 Likes

Get a gaming mouse with multiple side thumb buttons. I’ve played completely one handed since launch.

1 Like

If your feet still work, you could use something like this…
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B3PV47O/
…and use keybindings in-game so that your foot-presses correspond to three of your abilities, and the other three can be on your mouse, e.g. left mouse, right mouse, thumb button.

I have to laugh a bit now.
People ask for controller support! Just buy a console version?

There are a few builds that can work with one hand I think, even without multiple mouse buttons. You will obviously have a disadvantage but there are builds that will be at least playable with 2 buttons and num-locking the other skills. Or like the speed version of the bone spear build which has frailty and devour on auras, you would need to activate simulacrum at the beginning/on reviving and then have bone armour on num-lock.

The D3 control scheme (on PC) is hardly changed from D2, and D1 prior to that, in that you still point, click, and you have Action Bar quick-keys which can be mapped to whatever you want on the keyboard (along with every other command). Diablo 1, 2, & 3 were all developed first and foremost for the PC.

Saying Diablo 3 was developed as a console game is not an educated statement. D3’s console gameplay/control experience doesn’t hold a candle to D3’s PC controls.

2 Likes

It wasn’t designed for console to start but they tested controller support early. I play mistlynon console, have been a Diabki player since day one D1, and prefer the controller.

Wow, so there is nothing that can be done huh!? This really sucks. Where can I find a total keyboard card/legend/key commands? My 7yo loves to play but clicking on a laptop is so annoying.

Not two separate games. Same game. Xbox One runs on a basic version of Windows 10. This game runs fine and was developed on PC. I’m a quad and must use a controller which works perfect on the Xbox One version of Diablo III. They put the effort into making a controller compatible version of the game. There is no reason to not implement controller support into the PC version of the game. It’s shear laziness and greed from Blizzard not wanting to spend a minuscule amount of money to make it happen. In the mean time, Millions (no exaggeration) of Diablo III players with physical challenges can’t play this game except on an old console. I’ve attempted to use emulators like Xpadder but there is no substitute for native controller support like in the Xbox One version of Diablo III. All the modern adaptive tools I use (Voice & special controller) run best on PC. I like to see how the developers meant the game to be played so I obtained a PC with a good CPU and GPU (9900K & 2080ti).

It’s disheartening to constantly read the mis-information when it comes to games not supporting native controller support. (IE: “It’s two separate games”) which is false. Stop making excuses for Blizzard who could make this happen if ignorance was quashed in forums like this. This has nothing to do with PCMR vs Console. This has to do with Blizzard not offering a large population access to this fine game. No ones asking Blizzard to change the game or nerf it in some way by adding controller support. We know this because that version exists on Xbox One which runs a version of Windows 10.

If you’re a physically challenged person (disabled) like myself, don’t let up on Blizzard and their excluding disabled gamers access to their game on PC. To those mis-informed gamers who have been backing Blizzards discriminatory treatment of physically challenged persons because of false information, it’s not too late to join us so that everyone can enjoy this fine game. All we want is access to the same game you play, not an outdated console.

Thanks for your time,
Mark (Jahdoh)
SGT, USMC, Retired DV

8 Likes