DI removed the least useful feature from Diablo 3

I am talking about the gear/equipment seller NPC in Diablo 3 that went obsolete fast after 2+ hours gameplay.

Unless i missed them in DI, these merchant NPC was replaced by Gheed 2.0 (Kadala that accept gold) that remains useful as a proper gold sink thru the whole game.

I got most of my legendaries from this merchant in DI.

So i wonder whether that they will do the same for Diablo 4. I am sure we don’t need those useless gear seller/merchant in D4 if they don’t help the players that much in the endgame.

In DI there’s less of everything which makes everything you find actually useful in some way.

A lot of whites and blues - turn into base material, and you can buy enchanted dust by selling that material.

Less gold all around - makes you want to pick it up and keep better track of it as opposed to already having 1bil gold within the first few days of season.

No rain of legs/gems - makes every Glowing shard & gem count.

One thing that truly sucks a$$ about DI is targeted farming. Dungeons suck, period.

1 Like

Those vendors were very useful in the campaign and I would much rather have them there for that part of the experience, return to town with the hope of getting something cool, than a vendor that is just mindless salvage upgrade with no details in.

Even if those vendors become useless in late game.

4 Likes

This. Some things are adjusted to be more helpful than D3, and some less.

Random open world farming for legendaries is nice because any pair of pants, regardless of legendary affix can be god tier because you can just transfer over the legendary affix you want to that pair of pants. How many times have we all got a really good legendary in D3 but with an affix we’ll never use. That doesn’t happen in Immortal.

Unfortunately, because of infinite difficulty scaling that god tier pair of pants will be replaced by virtually anything within a few weeks.

Short and succinct. Unlike the dungeons being described.

I totally agree with this. The biggest core problem they have is they are expected to be run with the frequency of a gameplay dungeon (think a Greater Rift in D3) but they’re actually story dungeons from the campaign. So they’re littered with dialogue, cutscenes, environmental effects, etc. There aren’t enough monsters to be worth killing, just enough to get in the way of progress, like you’d have in a story.

Probably the worst part: In just a few weeks most servers will be on Hell 4 and at that time half of your gear will be set pieces that exclusively come from these horrid dungeons. If someone were to ask me what is the ultimate death of this game I would not say it’s the monetization, but rather, it’s these dungeons.

I still play on H2 since my combat rating is not enough for higher. However I’ve definitely noticed a significant drop in player numbers on that difficulty on the server I’m playing and more on H3. That makes dungeon farming for me increasingly challenging as it takes longer and longer to find party members.

As a result I’m about to hit a progress wall which propably was always inevitable for a F2P player.

1 Like

The game is designed to keep everyone in ‘the herd’ with its XP penalties and bonuses relative to the server paragon level. Ideally everyone would join a new server so they don’t fall too far behind but that doesn’t always happen.

My advice to someone like you is simple, leach. If you’re paragon is too low to wear H3 gear, then use the XP bonuses to farm up to that point. Then join dungeons or open world farming in H3 for gear. The difficulty of the game is set so low that the biggest obstacle those groups are having on H3 is getting 4 people in a party to open the door, whether you’re alive or not isn’t particularly important. Ignore set bonuses and just get the combat rating above the threshold.

Combat rating is the gear check to decide if you can handle the next difficulty and the vast majority of your combat rating actually comes from gear. Buying high priced 5 star gems can help you close that gap, certainly, but they’re really more about resonance than combat rating.

How would you improve it?

If the set item can be dropped at everywhere, dungeon will be obsolete. If dungeon run is too rewarding, anything that is not dungeon activity will be obsolete.

It already is.

• Elder rift = loot SUCKS
  • Bounties = rewards SUCK
  • Challenge rift = doesn’t even qualify for this conversation
  • any type of chest = SUCKS
  • gems = only drop in hidden lairs and there’s a daily cap, you’re already maxed out beyond 2 lairs in one day

I would fire DI’s game director.

Then I would allow sets to drop from anywhere, albeit at a low chance. Higher chance in ANY dungeon, not stupid specific ones.

70+ Anguish runs, p112 and I still got the p5 belt that dropped from story mode during first week of launch, 2 fkn months ago. Fak that sheet.

In seasons where I mainly get mats from running GRs rather than bounties, buying white items from vendors (the “Collectors”) is a good way to convert yellow mats. Likewise, if I overdo the bounties (see season 26 :rofl:), yellow items from vendors can be used to fix the mat imbalance. Though I tend to forge rings at the jeweller for that since I usually hit 5k of each of the marquise gems every season.

For me, they remain useful throughout the season. And I picked this tip up from other players so maybe you’re not speaking for everyone here.

Pretty much that. I do Elder Rifts mostly just for the runes when I have rare crests, however the amount of fading embers rewarded with or without crests is ridiculously low. Otherwise pretty worthless to do. Bounties yields plenty of battle points but other than that, not much else. Challenge Rifts are almost the sole source of that one material needed to upgrade secondary armor but no other reason to do them. Chests are completely worthless.

And remove the forced grouping from dungeons.

edit:

At least completing Shadow contracts have a decent chance to drop a random legendary. Sadly there’s only limited amount of them available at any given time. Resets to 3 available every Monday, once those are done only 1 is available each day until the next reset.

Maybe D4 will let you be a legionnaire, and so your squad’s gonna need a whole lot of disposable arms. Then again trying to find use for this junk may be “putting the cart before the horse”.

Since Blizzard’s ultimate financial goal in D:I is to get a subset of players to spemd money to overcome these obstacles in p2w.

The point is to do those for codex exp. If the dungeon run is rewarding, everyone will do dungeon for items and battle points for maximum efficiency, thus making other contents obsolete.

1 Like

Why do i get the feeling that people miss the loot rain of D3?

There are D3 threads talk about target loot locations. Many D3 players had to explain “its all random”. The Op complained and wanted target loot.

DI has target loot. Now, Some (other) people complain about target loot.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Actually I don’t. And considering that DI has 33% of the loot D3 has, it would be even more pointless.

People already do dungeons for maximum efficiency on gear and battle points. So making dungeons more rewarding and/or faster to complete wouldn’t really change that.

Also what does leveling the battle pass mostly yield? Hilts. Occasionally gems, crests and others. That’s it. It helps very little in directly making the character more powerful.

Most activities are woefully unrewarding.

There’s a middle ground between fully random and fully targeted loot. Random with increased chance from specific dungeons. Why should it be one or the other when it could be both?

OP’s post does not comport with reality?

So dungeon run is fine, and non-dungeon activities should get buff then. :+1:

When it comes to DI, it seems to never do…

Either really bad at trolling or he’s playing a completely different game.

Well, yes. Dungeons do need some changes but buffing other activities would be more important.

For dungeons at the very least the forced grouping must be removed.