DH Shadow Impale better with Aughild or Crimson in 2.6.6?

It looks like the DH Impale is going be even stronger after patch 2.6.6. But will it benefit more from the new Aughild set or the new Crimson set? Here are the pros and cons in a nutshell:

Pros Aughild: +60% damage made against elites (30+30), -45% damage received from elites (30+15)

Cons Aughild: you lose the Strongarm bracers (+30% damage made) and one ring: Elusive (-60% damage received) or CoE (+50% damage made in average)

Pros Crimson: damage made increased by total CDR (around +40%) and damage received reduced by total RCR (around -45% assuming topaz in the helm)

Cons Crimson: you lose the chain of shadows (infinite mobility) and one ring (Elusive or CoE)

So which one do you think is the best choice?

I played around a bit with both of these in the PTR.

Capt. Crimson’s was pretty strong, but the whole time I was playing it I thought that without Chain of Shadows I might as well be playing N6/M4.

Aughild’s as a solo build was not as strong as I expected. That really could be just getting used to the set. I do believe that Aughild’s will make a really nice RGK.

I tried both CoE and Elusive versions of both and found that Elusive worked better for me.

I’m looking forward to running both again in the new Era.

2 Likes

Aughild looks to the better choice at a glance as it does not kill the player’s mobility like Captain Crunch can while also giving the user the opportunity to either trade in survival for more damage (losing Elusive), or swapping out CoE for more damage and survival against Elites.

The idea of losing Chain of Shadows does not sit well with me as that is pretty much the core of Impale in being able to zip around the map hunting elites/champs to nuke them into oblivion.

There is also the fact that Aughild’s bonus effects are given to the user up front and do not require the player to already have good cooldown numbers like what Crunch does, so it is a bit more noob friendly than Captain Crunch buffs.

That is just from what I have seen, and have not tested them in the PTR. Actual usage may turn out very differently, but I do intend on tinkering with both after they go live.

1 Like

tried Aughild build:
diablofans#com/builds/104843-impaleaughildstrongarm
might be a bit better than Impale with Echoing Fury:
diablofans#com/builds/104792-fastandfury-120

I plan to run Aughild’s for my RGK set up. You need to vault like a mad-man!!!

Do so. It is awesome. I tried to make build guide on diablofans but can’t register. For any info just hit me up.

I´m running Impale + Crimson right now and it really feels kinda strong.
I changed the Companion to Preparation and can vault permanently due to the high CDR of Crimson + Gogok. My gear is not that good and i am new in the season - but i like the set and will try to stand with it.

2 Likes

Crimson has some nice hidden defense buffs:

• No more Aquilas flickering because of high RCR
  • Perma FoK
  • you don’t need 15 Gogok stacks anymore for perma vengeance
  • It’s more foregiving if you miss with impale or hit walls
  • Movement is also a little bit smoother, you can vault without pressing impale before

Speeds (did 115) with shadowbelt work also pretty well (no CoE, no Aquilas). 40+ CDR isn’t as good as CoE - but you don’t have to wait 16s - in good spots with oculus you can kill the elites pretty fast - which is nice for speeding. For higher levels I’d probably drop Shadowbelt though.

Crimson is not too much weaker – but only if you can get to at least 50% CDR w/ gogok. The difference in not skipping Wolf is about a 6% damage gain, which helps make up the difference.

CC3 @50% CDR = 1.51.12 = 1.68x
Aughild = 1.3
1.3 = 1.69*1.06 = 1.79x

My CDR w/ gogok is a bit over 50%.
I still want to test some stuff and try a version with max CDR rolls and without dawn. I just like the new sets and want them to fit my build.
I tested Aughild´s and I think, i will play it in groups for RGK.

1 Like