DH requires a bow - NOT

This is my first PTR so sorry if this isn’t correct.

I play DH Impale. The skill slots do NOT rotate through all skills. The Archery slot is locked to a bow and useless to me since I don’t use a bow. I even tried setting to an archery skill hoping it would fire when activated. It squats and shines, but nothing comes out. I tried a 1-H bow plus Karlei’s Point. Doesn’t work.

1 Like

What is the bug? Some skills require bow as their said on the description. If you hold a KP, then you cannot equip those skills.

Turn the Elective mode on if you haven’t done yet. Pick other skills from other categories.

2 Likes

Not a bug per se, but why is there a passive for “bow” skills and SFA for dagger skills? Again, the game is unbalanced and poorly designed…

No it is item balanced, not skill balanced

1 Like

so bows get a passive and daggers get nothing…way to go ignoring balancing…

Which is hurting bows as you have a mandatory passive that is not required when going with a dagger. So Dagger wielding DHs have greater custimization choice than bow wielding as there are not a mandatory passive.

Furthermore any Dagger is easier to obtain as the item pool of daggers are close to no existing. So I’d say bows are treated less than daggers.

I demand a buff to the acquisition and power of bows!

2 Likes

Archery is NOT mandatory, no competitive build uses it…it is inferior to several other passive skills.

Yes, it is true that it is easier to get daggers for DH than bows. That is however, not the players’ fault. I typically haven’t had a hard issue getting a Yangs bow either - in 10 seasons. If it was really hard to get a yangs, then yes, I could see your point. However, it is not hard to get a yangs.

i will counter the dagger argument with the fact that it is much harder to get a “perfect” hps quiver than a dml quiver. Much, much harder.

edit: I will also counter that 2 of the 4 impale runes are totally useless…and lightning hps quiver is much harder to get than any of the other elements. Blizzard may say that the elemental dmg on hps quiver is the same for each element and I will call BS, based on much player experience.

so bows have a passive that nobody uses and daggers dont have a passive.

how is this unbalanced???

It seems perfectly balanced to me bow users dont use a bow specific passive and dagger users dont use a dagger specific passive. :smiley:

2 Likes

S18 I reached paragon level 680-something before I got my hands on a Yang, random is random and if it is not in your favour getting correct items can be a pain. Seems like the same thing you describe with HPS. However RNG is not a bug. Like getting a good Flavor of Time amulet is a real pain.

Anyways, with how easy the dagger is to get, you’d probably survive having a hard time on the quiver. Most other builds tends to have issues with both slots, and quivers doesn’t really add much anyway when ancient.

Anyhow, that is not really relevant to the thread, but you did just admit that a dagger passive is ever really needed right here:

So guess you can close this “bug report” for good.

1 Like

the last 3 seasons, I have done 9 rare upgrades, 7 upgrades and 9 upgrades before getting a karleis. Certainly not 50/50 and on a consistent basis. Even drops in game from monsters, it has not been 50/50. Far from it. I average arouind 5 -7 LGF per every karleis point that drops. This has been consistent over the past 3 seasons btw.

getting 9 times the same result at a 50% chance happens about every 500 times. So although it is rare its about as rare as a primal drop so in no way is it impossible nor meaningfull

1 Like

1 out of 2 is still easier than 1 out of 9. And the game says even chance, with no weigthing there. If you toss a coin, there’s is still a high probability to have the same outcome occur more than twice in a row.

So If you say 9 chances to get a 1 out of 2, that would imply 80 chances to get a 1 out of 9. That’s pretty much my luck i S18. So it just sounds like you are mad at RNG.

True, but it’s frustrating that it is a regular occurrence, season after season, and not only at the start of a season, but throughout a season. True 50/50 would not see me constantly having such a hard time getting karleis to drop and getting way more LGFs. As I said, 3 seasons now, consistently, all season, for 3 seasons. Sorry, but you can’t be unlucky for 9 months of constant game play. Occam’s razor would suggest that either it is not 50/50, or the RNG weighting on console is perhaps different, or the RNG weighting for solo players is different to group players (stuff is rarer if you play solo). Nothing would surprise me in the slightest.

1 Like

occams razor has nothing to do with it, rng is rng. it doesnt matter how many times you get 1 particular dagger every other time after that you still have 50% chance.

but we have had this conversation before i think so i doubt youll believe me you will rather come up with numerous conspiracy theories.

so believe what you will

you do know what Occam’s razor is right? What are the odds of getting 3 seasons of getting 5-7 LGFs for every single karleis point that drops, consistently.

PS I am not the only one saying this - I’ve had several DH friends who’ve all reported the same issues.

1 Like

occams razor is the idea that the simplest explanation is usually the best/correct explanation.

the simplest explanation is it being a combination of rng + confirmation bias on your part.

edit: but this conversation doesnt belong in the ptr bug report section

As fun as this thread is, there’s no bug here.

2 Likes

Well, the odds are 50%. But statistically speaking you got a Karlei’s Point 16% of the times. Hope that clears it up.

Back to my original post. I don’t know if it’s a bug or just design issues, but it was nothing to do with weapon balance.

My problem was with the skill choices. I haven’t done anything different in my settings for a couple of years. I’ll try to reword the issue.

I key bind 2, 3, 4, and r for my left hand and mouse keys for my right hand.

When I normally play, after reaching L70 I can assign almost any skill to any key. Even though my “3” key is assigned the Archery category, If I’m not using a bow I can assign something from one of the other categories, say Sentry from Devices.

What I ran into was the Archery category was locked. I couldn’t assign something from a different category to a different key. Since I was using Karlei’s Point (a dagger) I couldn’t assign anything to that key binding EXCEPT an Archery skill. Thus it was a useless key for me.

That’s because those skills requires a hand crossbow, a bow or a 2 hander to fire arrows. Daggers, Swords and Maces are not into that category thus they can’t fire arrows, that’s why impale shoots knifes (daggers).
For primaries while wielding a dagger, sword or mace also notice that anything that fires an arrow can’t be used, for that matter your option is Bola or Grenades which are not arrows.
So basically while wielding a melee weapon you can drop devices, traps, etc… You can use the primaries I’ve mentioned and explained why. You can use fan of knifes, caltrops, spike traps, sentries etc… Because those are skills that doesn’t fire an arrow.