Demon Hunter Shadow Impale build question

I see a lot of top builds not using wraps of clarity which also means they don’t use generator (mostly). But how do these top players manage to get hatred, keep it at, I dunno, near full, AND take advantage of the aquila cuirass damage reduction?
Does this situation only apply during high gr levels where enemies take several hits to kill and so you’re gaining hatred back from karlei’s point?
Because let’s say I one-shot everything with impale but I’m not using a hatred generator. I won’t be gaining hatred back other than regular generation and eventually I’ll run out of hatred in battle.

Can anyone give me some more info into how a no slot hatred generator build works?

This is basically it.

Can’t comment for lower farming content, as I generally use UE for this… because of the hatred issues I have with Shadow-Impale, and I just find it smoother and quicker.

You could use the Seethe rune for Vengeance I guess, with the Hatred passive (Blood Vengeance) and Reaper Wraps for lower content. This is just an idea, though. I haven’t played my DH for a little while, so optimal setups may have changed.

One of the more experienced DH’s will need to take over on this one, if you’re set on using Shadow for farming.

S6 with Karlei doesn’t work that well on low difficulties, but it is possible, and I used to farm T16 with it before the most recent UE upgrade, especially at the beginning of a new season in public bounties.

First, you should use the lightning rune Ricochet. These additional knives don’t benefit from S6 (and therefore don’t oneshot everything), but enemies hit count as “impaled” and will generate Hatred on the next hit.
I see that you have physical gear, but it’s not optimzed yet, and you should switch to Lightning (or maybe cold, but lightning is the easiest way for hatred management).

In addition, you can use Blood Vengeance as a passive. As you are an elite hunter, you can kill the elite, collect all the heal orbs and go on with full hatred again, hunting the next elite. For T16, the usual gold-gear is recommended for that (like Avarice Band), so all the orbs are collected “automatically” just by vaulting through the screen.

You mean the Blood Vengeance passive.

Brooding is the one where when you stand still, you contemplate your life choices and simmer over the fact that other classes can clear higher GRs than you while also having a stable slot in the 4 man meta which leads to regret over the fact that you chose a passive skill that is inferior to almost all other passives while not being able to move at risk of losing what marginal benefit this passive seems to give. Also you heal 3% of your maximum life per second as you stand still (caps at 3 stacks).

4 Likes

Life of the dedicated DH.

I see. I never thought of the lighting rune doing that. I’ll definitely give that a try, cold doesn’t seem too bad either but I’ll play around to see which ends up working better.

1 Like

One of the benefits of using S6 is the fact that this build does not require a generator to run so long as you are running at a high enough level.

Your Karlie’s Point generates your hatred so long as you are not one shotting everything. If you are running out of hatred, move up in difficulty levels.

S6 works better at high difficulty levels. Not only are you generating hatred, but you are adding heals with your attacks and generating free vaults (with the Chain of Shadows belt)

A lot of DH’s will gear up a UE for rifts, bounties and speed GR’s. Then they will build an S6 for higher GR’s and group runs.

On a side note: Elite hunting is a bit more difficult when you are wearing the Capt. Crimson’s gear as you lose free vaults. With this setup you will want to kill more high value trash, another reason to increase difficulty.

1 Like

Indeed I do, shall fix it in my previous post. Thanks Iria. :beers:

I nearly peed reading this…

1 Like

If you want to farm T16 with a S6 build, there’s a couple of things that will help. Switch Aquilla in the cube to Gunes. Switch vengeance rune from Dark Heart to Seethe. Use Ricochet on Impale.

You could go Reaper Wraps and Blood Vengeance but I found those aren’t necessary. The above three is all you need and you’ll be just slightly slower than UE.

Once you’ve augmented some gear with Caldesan’s, Ricochet will start clearing trash around elites as well as the elite you’re hitting with the main Impale. Also, you don’t need to get up close to elites so that all the daggers hit just one target like you would in a High Greater Rift. One dagger will do the trick on the elite and the other daggers will hit other nearby targets spreading the dagger splits to more enemies.

You’ll find that hitting Impale once or twice can clear half a room as long as you make sure the three daggers from HPS are hitting different targets.

Again, it’s slower than UE but that’s only been the case since they introduced Captain Crimson’s to the set which allows infinite vaults for UE just as Impale/Chain of Shadows does S6.

It’s best just to make a Crimson UE build but if you don’t want to farm up a UE set, then make the above changes to S6 and you’re good to go.

1 Like

you don’t kill trash in gr’s with shadow set,you use the trash to double impale and never use hatred but never do a gr where mobs die before double impale. If you want to kill trash use unholy set and the visage of gunes for free darkheart rune at 50 percent reduction is better deal than aq.

Kinda hard to proc the seasonal buffs if you don’t kill any trash. One of the fun things about using S6 this season is the ability to time kill streaks with elite packs.

wrong gear set for season buff go use the LOD rapid fire build or UE

Thanks, I’ll take that into consideration :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s some things you can do improve things in T16. One is definitely swapping to Gunes in the cube and running the Hatred Regen rune on Vengeance. It’s unlikely you’ll need Fan of Knives in T16, so swap that out for a hatred generator, iirc, most used the Lightning rune on Bolas back in the day. You can swap the Wolf pet to the Bat so you have a “Hatred Potion” when you need it as well.

Personally, I generally run UE for T16 and low GR farming and Shadow for higher GR farming. But these things can help you out early season when the Haedrig’s set is Shadow.

1 Like