It’d be neat if the map was influenced by this. So that you could get lost in areas that were dark enough.
I’d love night time to toggle pvp hostility in pvp designated areas. You got pk’d?? What were you doing out past your curfew?!? 
Don’t worry, I post ideas that will never happen because they aren’t care-bear friendly. That said, aside from aesthetics, what part if any do you think the day & night cycle will have on the world? Improved usefulness of light radius & maybe make ya wanna befriend a sorceress companion or two?
4 Likes
I actually love the idea of day/night cycles and would take it a step further by having it influence what creatures and therefore what drops exist in a given area. Things like this help make a game’s environment feel alive.
The forced hostility thing I can do without if only because it encourages people to not play the game during night cycles. (by waiting them out in town) But for full disclosure, I am also against any forced pvp in any game. PVP should only be an opt-in activity, and I mean that for both participants. But so long as pvp-designated areas are optional to enter (i.e there is no story or quest or exclusive PVE drop that requires you to enter those zones) then being in those zones could be considered consent in and of itself.
6 Likes
How is that going to work when you can just follow the map on screen to see where you are going
1 Like
Remove your nocturnal vision (map) during night. wicked grin
1 Like
And how exactly do you switch the map off
Good question. Obstruct it with another map that is pitch black.
Add the weather in to the mix as well, I have posted on this before so i’ll not add much here but tracking muddy footprints and that type of thing.
5 Likes
Yeah no doubt don’t get caught in a lightning storm when a druid uses the lightning storm skill ultimate. (amplified damage)
1 Like
Other skills could change or be needed, ok so day/night becomes a thing, what about seasonal weather and day/night. Solar Eclipse.
Extreme dark nights when a Sorc uses a Light spell just to see where you are going.
2 Likes
Full moon werewolf perks? Yeaaah… 
4 Likes
Day, night, weather cycles would definitely add immersion. Perhaps in cold weather zones the players movement speed is slower and they take more cold damage from monsters. But as you said, if it’s too dark then there will be lots of complaining. I see a lopsided percentage of threads asking for things to be easier than threads asking for more difficulty.
2 Likes
I like all of these ideas. I really like the weather idea, and have it affect the environment. Like if it’s raining really hard it could maybe flood or cause deep mud and that could slow your movement speed…?
1 Like
Ideas here are getting more stupid day by day. Really.
If you actually played the game you knew how people love searching for Urzael or Adria in bounties.
1 Like
I’m on the fence with this one. While I love the passage of time in games, will Blizzard do like WoW and make it real time so that I rarely see the game in day time, or will it be like most where it switches too fast. I know we cannot expect Blizzard to find a happy medium.
However by not using a day/night cycle land assets can be reused in multiple ways without noticing as much which saves on development time and allows for more dynamic use of terrain.
But if I had to choose, I’d like to see a day/night cycle where 12 hours in game = 1 hour IRL with unique bosses, mobs, events and possibly items tied to time of day. That way it’s at least interesting and not just a lighting change.
1 Like
And not only that, day/night could bring days, months and years (this ones are complicated for the character’s age, and for future diablo games, but the next diablo could/should happen 1000s years after this one).
All this could bring things like seasons (changes of weather) and things that happen during specific times of the in-game month/year. (Take in account that if one in-game day last 1 hour, then 1 in-game year will last aprox 2 weeks in real life).
Can turn off the map: if they don’t then it could be a thing for some key dungeons or something, it is an interesting thing, even for remote areas.
The other posibility (that also apply to the above ideas) could be to give a less accurate map during night (and in remote areas).
For me, if they did something like seasons and events that happen on a specific in-game month and stuff like that, then the ideal time could be 1 in-game day = 2hs.
If they don’t, then it could last more, but i think the ideal is between 1-4 real time hours per day. More is too much: taking in account a lot of players don’t play more than that in a day.
2 Likes
Imagine in some conditions different monsters came out of the ground? Dark storms brought out disturbing monsters at night? I’d love if this were a thing! 
4 Likes
I loved the idea that certain fish and certain pets could only be caught at certain times in WoW. People hated it. But yes witnessing the passage of time would be neat. I think I would keep season tied to current date though.
I’d like to see a day/night cycle, and I’d like for night to actually be dark. Maybe bring back Light Radius as a stat as well. Add in some local weather effects for each region too.
Though I don’t think they need to restrict the use of the map. Especially if the main areas that will use it will be the overworld map with more open areas.
The only problem here is I’m gessing you live in the US, i’m in Australaia so that would not work in all cases.
Yes and it does not have to pitch black - great movie.
But what if a Fog of War type of thing is added to the map and as night comes the light radius is pulled in slowly it may only need to be 10-20% but the feeling would be there.
The same could be done when traveling trough a forest or the like.
1 Like
This is actually a huge problem for Blizz. In WoW the Aussie folks are quite upset that they are still dealing with a reversed day/night cycle. ANZ is technically on the same servers as Americas. I have been told, at least in WoW, there is no easy fix to tailor the world environment changes to the player’s local region. When it is just graphics, that might not be a big deal, but when some game aspects only happen during the night or day cycles, they really want it to stay server side.
Apparently it is more complicated than expected.
1 Like