D4: Would be a joke without trade

At the end of the day, Diablo IV can’t be taken seriously without some sort of ‘‘open’’ trade system, the world would laugh at SSF Diablo IV and for what? To satisfy the SSF anti trade craving mentality of some D3 players(likely a minority). Trade + PvP is what made Diablo 2 such a success online for 2 decades, or else it would have died fast(other than singleplayer modding). If you want a crowded and thriving online community trade is a must.

This was obviously not a spontaneous decision made by Blizzard but afters studying the complaints about D3 for years(Back when D3 was still relevant, D2 threads would be upvoted in the hundreds, complaints about D3 shortcomings endless, trade being among them & failure of the automated AH).

I find it funny that D3 philosophers are still creating new threads on the topic as if Blizzard didn’t think this through enough, feedback was gathered over years people, it’s not a last minute decision, the same is true for PvP and ‘‘Dark mature atmosphere’’ which were the focal points of the Blizzcon Diablo IV presentation.

5 Likes

Well, in case you haven’t noticed, D4 will have trading. It’ll be restricted (for very good reasons), some items are untradeable, some tradeable once and some completely free to trade.

4 Likes

I am aware of the fact that D4 will have trade, that’s the point of the thread. It seems though as if some people want to diminish it further to the point a SSF is in effect, i’m only reminding them as to why this most likely won’t be happening.

Did we really need yet another thread on this, rather than just contributing to one of the existing ones…

9 Likes

That’s true but you also missed to say that everything GOOD will NOT be tradable. You can trade potions and other crap but nothing that’s worth anything.

2 Likes

Clearly you don’t seem understand why the trading will be restricted. Or you do but you just don’t care about the real point of the game which killing monsters for loot, not buying the gear.

3 Likes

If you want to bot and play the trading game only (like in D2) there might be a new gaming genre coming in the future allowing you to do that - Auto-Chess RPGs.

That is right, the “A” would be replaced by “AC” (Auto-Chess) type of gameplay where your hero (controlled by the in-game AI) clears the mobs in the world. You would be able to change his gear and trade items, but you won’t be able to control it (just like bots).

You heard it here first - such genre is coming, so just be patient.

But D4 does NOT belong to this genre - it is an ACTION-RPG, not a TRADE-RPG, AUTO-CHESS-RPG, MATH-RPG or something else.

The most important part of ACTION-RPGs is the combat. Trading as a mechanic goes directly against this allowing you to receive items without any combat at all.

Trading has no place in D4.

#tradingOUTofD4

3 Likes

For a very valid reasons. You are supposed find the best gear yourself, not buy it.

If one can get the best gear by buying/trading, what’s the point in playing the game then?

1 Like

All traded loot obviously originates from killing monsters, trade only adds another important dimension to it.

Otherwise ‘the real point’’ of an ARPG is to build a character, killing monsters and looting an important aspect of that.

I personally don’t even mind restricted trading as long as it done sensibly, i prefer that actually(i.e rare stuff like Jah, Bar in D2, Mythics, comsetics who cares). But that’s beside the point here.

1 Like

D4 does have trading and it IS restricted (and it better stay that way).

So what are you complaining about?

Read up on my awesome thread that I linked further up to find out just WHY restrictions are so crucial in trading.

2 Likes

And that’s why D4 will have trading. But it will be restricted that people do have a motivation to actually play the game rather than circumvent the playing part by simply buying the gear.

The top tier gear should always be something one needs to earn through gameplay and not by trading.

Well I suggest you read the OP again, this thread is aimed at everyone who believes Diablo IV shouldn’t include trade as an important element, mostly SSF D3 mentality around here.

1 Like

D3 does not have SSF.

Again, the most important part of an ARPG is building the character, i think you’re confused with the FPS genre. This is not Doom. Jay Wilson thought ‘‘killing demons’’ was the focal point, he obviously was clueless of ARPG, decent RTS developer though(Warhammer 40k: Dawn of war(1))

Trading does not go against combat at all, because traded loot comes from combat, so you’re wrong. However if someone wants to ‘‘buy’’ their stuff with minimal effort that is their choice( i do agree with best stuff being restricted, as long as the itemization and drop rates are not a joke like in D3).

Trading has every right to exist in D4, it adds another dimension in how players interact with loot/each other which was a big contributor of D2s online success(alongside PvP). Not having trade would be almost retarded for an online game only(which thankfully is not the case).

1 Like

You’ve stuck on ancient memories of an ancient game. Present day popular ARPG will never behave like pre-bot D2. You have to look at D3 Auction House phenomenon, and trade in PoE. Then you’ll understand that trading spoils the game, not contributes.

1 Like

Diablo has never been a trade simulator to me.

The topic has been beaten to death on these forums - just search with the button at the top right for “trading”, read all the stuff that is posted and then comment again.

I can save you time however - there hasn’t been posted a single adequate argument in defense of trading. EVERYTHING trading offers could be replaced by other ways for player engagement/interaction and an advanced crafting system.

The only non-replaceable thing about trading is scamming - if the developers want to attract such players (that love to scam others) they can make particular item type in the game that is tradable - special nuts in all colored variations for example that doesn’t offer any benefit besides that of being able to be traded. Scamming then would still exist as a mechanic - you would be able to trade lower-value nuts (more common) for higher value nuts (more rare) with noob players that aren’t skillful in trading/scamming and doesn’t have calibrated monitor allowing them to see precisely the color of the nut they trade.

But if D4 is not to be a game for kids trading/scamming for nuts, trading has no place in it, because the moment you drop trading you destroy the meaningful part of the game involving grinding and/or competition. That’s why the PoE competitions are SSF-only (their devs manged to realize at least this).

The point of playing ‘‘the’’ game (any game )is to have fun, let me explain.

The only reason i agree on this point is because of cheating(i.e botters). When stuff like Jah runes/Ber runes are being traded it trivializes the game, destroys competition(in case of ladders, PvP etc) due to cheating programs efficiency compared to a human player.

Otherwise trading for the best stuff can be a very fun & addictive experience as trading in general is when it happens between legit players, as long as the itemization is complex & good(like Diablo 2, Path of exile)

Trade adds value to a larger pool of potential items that the character can find useful, otherwise would consider not worth much(i.e vendor trash, horrible D3 salvage system etc). As long as the player put the effort in to get the item, i.e killing monsters for weeks to get enough ‘‘ist runes’’ to finally trade for the ‘‘Jah rune’’, the sense of accomplishment could be even greater than the high tier item just dropping from the monster randomly.

In case of D4 however, the itemization(levels of complexity) drop-rates(in general for the greater good must be much, much lower than current D3 joke levels) will decide if trade is even worth having in the game.

No thanks, since we’ve already established you ain’t got a clue what you’re complaining about. Re: restricted trading is already in D4.

Because it’s not an important element. It’s actually quite harmful to games like Diablo. And anybody who has no intention of selling his items for cash would understand that.

See, the main replayability factor of games like Diablo is the LOOT. Which is supposed to come from killing monsters + playing the game the legit old fashioned way. A specific gearing goal, completing your build with the best possible rolls, whatever you want that goal to be.

You play longer because you farm for those drops. Trading short-circuits that system. You gear up faster = you don’t play as long + give up on the game that much sooner as opposed to simply wearing yourself out.

Moral of the story: Trading = Bad.

1 Like