D4: What not to do. Lessons from PoE from a 1.4k hrs ex-player

This would be fine as long as an item rolling with a top mod is automatically rendered account bound on pickup. Otherwise the trading parody from PoE would repeat.

1 Like

Ive been gamer all my life, Ive seen lots of game series dying when they havent changed it much. Those who make bigger changes survives much longer. Those who know how to improve their game and make big changes when necessarily have much better chances.

Wasnt this one big reason why WoW won? Basically Blizz overhauled the game with every expansion, players were hooked in same old stuff with new twists.

I would like to see an ARPG to take the crafting style from Star Wars Galaxies.

Yeah. That was quite nice.
I dont think it fits an A-RPG, just like I dont think trading should be allowed, but for the game SWG was, it was good.

I would play an action crafting RPG without item drops.

The problem with trading when not online was solved long ago by letting people set up their own vendors in a marketplace for people to browse. Database searches can be allowed or not. It’s a pretty MMO thing to do.

Trading surely hasnt been complaining, one of the most constructive topic actually.

@OP
Ok, so where do I start ?

1. you vouch for AH, that’s fine but also NOT… My problem with AH is that it’s Gold-based (i.e. endlessly-stacking-resource for everyone, and each and every time a “new” bidder enters the bidding the item’s period for sale gets increased)… That’s why I prefer and suggest (for like 100th time maybe) make currency (i.e. gold) mostly intended for Consumable and Vendor actions (crafting, gambling, some survival run to get a rarer gem drop whatever, literally whatever gold sink there may be) and keep trading between players strictly on item for item basis… There can be a “personal AH” feature to achieve this i.e. you “broadcast” your offer and your return preferences, and then someone PMs you back I have this, click accept or reject, DONE… Simple as that

2. The problem with One-shot is the endless scale of Resistances/damage, CAP them at 75% and be done with it, no need to have “survival stacks” keeping your Res as high as 95% and then some “crit” happens when your survival bonus is at 80% and all out of a sudden BOOM, you’re dead… ALSO, they can (and probably SHOULD) keep all types of damage relevant and treat the hit-effects like stun/knockback/root/crit as SEPARATE source of damage (i.e. a meteor doesn’t proc Crit, but a Crit can HAPPEN when hit by a Meteor, your Crit may be 50%, may be 5%, may be flat 1000, it’s SEPARATE, if your Meteor does 10k, a Meteor with crit won’t do 20k, simple as that, or even better, there can be a separate Crit for the initial impact, i.e. physical Crit proc, and a separate one for the following massive DoT/Burn to follow)

3. Totally fine, whatever… In fact I think it’s more related to how TPs work, and think they better experiment with the TP scrolls as ANOTHER RESOURCE, as opposed to a consumable… Some dungeons may have limited TPs, some may have a stone to TP out rechargeable on certain amount of kills, some may not even have a TP and the moment you die the whole dungeon is reset… Better make it per-dungeon based, as for the open world, a D3 style personal TP (channel to return to nearest town without cost) is just fine I’d say

4. The problem with “labs” is they’re there to prevent “farmers” abuse small dungeons, I’d say they just better keep things under door/locks/whatnot to prevent skipping content… It really comes down to that, because people skip everything and go to the boss right away they have to make “labs”, just make some mechanic to prevent skipping and would be fine I’d say… The “TP as a Resource” (as opposed to consumable) kinda solves a part of this problem (IMO) as well :slight_smile:

Overall interesting topic/s but don’t find them AS problematic tbh, at least I don’t find them as much of a “hot topic” (so far at least) in my head :smiley:

I don’t agree with everything you said, personally. For me PoE started out pretty great years back. But it has since become bloated with disjointed feeling content and over the top builds.

Things not to do:

1. Make it insanely fast, disco room of spell effects, where you cannot even see what the heck is going on.

2. Make cohesive content that adds to the experience rather than feeling separate, disjointed, and annoying.

I was hoping PoE 2 would be a fresh start, but they are just continuing on with all the same stuff already there, which so badly needs a refresh.

Complexity is good when done right, but Path of Exile raises it to a level that is unnecessary and overwhelming. This is coming from someone who is definitely not a casual gamer by any stretch. It is just too much and I don’t care about any of the characters/events happening. Diablo 2 reigns supreme for various reasons, one of them being the great atmosphere and presentation that is cohesive throughout.

@OP:

On death penalties:

1. Death should be discouraged, otherwise people will cheese difficult scenarios by kamikaze-ing them. The game needs to be able to tell the player “you’re trying something you’re not ready for yet,” so there must be a penalty
  2. The penalty needs to be severe enough that it feels like a penalty, but not too harsh. XP loss, de-leveling, and things of that sort are too harsh.
  3. Resetting a fight is good, so you have to beat the whole encounter. Having to start over, often, is plenty of penalty.
  4. There needs to be a soft penalty for retrying. Traditionally, Diablo games use item durability. Die 8-10 times and your gear’s all smashed and you have to stop for repairs, because you’re simply not geared enough for the encounter.
  5. At this point, if a player has died this many times, the penalty needs to become harsher, because they keep trying something they’re just not prepared for. Adding a per item timer on each item being repaired would provide a strong disincentive. I’m talking like 30 sec per peice, so if all your stuff’s broken, the game says “take 5 minutes and re-evaluate your gear.”
  6. This timer penalty should be bypassable by spending some secondary resource (for example: a death’s breath or something) to immediately complete the timer. This is for end-game players who are pushing the hardest content in the game. They will necessarily run into content they have to throw themselves at. These players should have a massive stockpile of crafting reagents, like Death’s Breath for example, and would easily be able to afford to just click the repair button and keep going, but would have to eventually stop after many dozens of attempts - and that’s a soft penalty just to remind the most hardcore players to go out and see the sun if the barrier’s just that hard.
  7. I don’t like hard stop penalties. If you’re playing with friends or groups, there are good reasons that you don’t want to force other people to wait on you.

On One-Shots:

1. One-shots are not fun to play against. Ever, even if it’s highly telegraphed, because there is no reaction if you messed up.
  2. CC effects that chain into enough damage to kill you while you can’t control your character feels exactly the same as one-shot kills. They suck.
  3. The solution is to create pressure on the player with stacking effects while giving the player an opportunity to play against the mechanic.
  4. Grossly undergeared players are still going to get one-shot, but the game needs to give them a strong hint they’re in way over their heads before that, IMO.

On traps and environmental effects:

1. To me, they’re annoying in general
  2. But, they do offer a strategic challenge that makes content more difficult, and I’m not against them as long as a) there is a way to see them in advance, b) there is some reaction time for the player to avoid them (with the caveat that in combat, things happen, and they should if you’re trying to fight in a minefield).
  3. See above point on one-shots. Keep the damage they do under control.

Think this is impossible if they keep the “more HP” as a character design option, so in hindsight I actually like that D4 took away “vitality” as a primary-stat option… Not sure if PoE has it, but certainly is/might-be one of the reasons for that problem also :thinking:

I am not convinced about the idea that one shot telegraphed attacks are necessarily bad, as it pushes players to keep an eye on what is happening at all times, rather than simply face tanking everything until either your health is in the red zone or the boss is dead. Plus, done well, it usually allows for a moment of pause in the action that you can use to focus on damaging the boss or recovering (as long as you don’t do so right in the middle of the one shot zone). A good example would be PoE’s act 2 boss, that clearly readies its fist before smashing it in the ground at its targeted location.
Also, PoE’s way of handling traps is quite decent. While they are probably too high on the damage output, their idea of having them hurt everyone for the same proportion of their life is quite good, as it makes them actually threatening, rather than the usual minor annoyance they are. Plus, with threatening traps, stuff like D1’s “of Thieves” that reduces damage from traps becomes actually useful.
While there’s a lot I have to say against PoE, credit where it’s due.

It’s foolish to simply and rudely delete Diablo 3. It is suggested that the auction house of Diablo 4 can return. However, you can limit the number of transactions or transaction time of various equipment. This can not only reduce the burden of the system, but also prevent players from manipulating the market.

The one shot mechanic is PoE is just a bandaid to the shallow gameplay of PoE. The reason was as you said otherwise, people will just facetank.

We have like 4 decades of action games, very few action games has attacks that one shot you. You almost never one shot in dark soul, god of war, & most acclaimed action games.

Why so?
A) good game developers know players sometime make mistakes, alos it takes time to learn attack pattern. Theresfore good action games allows allowance to make limited mistakes.

B) Good games are design you cannot facetank, or spam one button repeatedly.

The solution for most good action game is pretty simple. limit recovery; so recovery (like leech, life regen, potions) works but limited.

2 Likes

110% agreed.
For those times where 100% just isn’t enough.

Let us die slowly, cut by cut, and recover slowly.
Makes combat less binary/stupid (either you are at 100% hp or you are dead), and instead more thrilling and engaging, with the sense of danger that comes from your HP going down over time, with the realization that your options for recovering it are dwindling.

I am currently replaying Sekiro, and like other Souls games, that feeling of frantically attacking a boss which is seconds away from dying, and you are out of all your healing options (due to having made too many mistakes throughout the fight) is as good as it gets.
Diablo in an A-RPG setting should not have combat like that. But the combat feeling, of ebbs and flows, of death creeping closer each time you make a mistake, coming from how dmg and healing works… just copy it.

2 Likes

No it’s not.
Pay to Win means you have to buy weapons and gear to get ahead.

The money you give to Chinese Company is for stash tabs and cosmetic’s, only.

Sure, we can redefine P2W to defend the company’s bad practices, if you want.
Or we can look at the in-game advantage that you get by being able to store more items (without wasting ages to get them back from another character or account) and trade them way easier at a fair value by paying GGG.
Whichever you prefer.

1 Like

Pay to Win: Games that let you buy better [gear] or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.

This is Pay to Win^^^

Path of Exile has microtransactions that are only cosmetic and stash tabs and pets and HideOut stuff etc.

Learn the difference.
You will be blasted by others on this forum if you use the wrong term and relate it to a game someone loves.

" Pay to Win is a situation in gaming (usually MMOs or Massively Multiplayer Online games) where companies allow you to buy items or advantages with real money that cannot be obtained normally by playing the game."
(Just a little lower on the same website.)

We can use the pay for convenience term if you prefer, but that’s just describing the same phenomenon with a more marketing-friendly term.
I understand that you like PoE a lot, and that you have the desire to defend it. That doesn’t mean there are no bad business practices in that game.
I’ll add that I would be ok with a certain amount of pay-to-win, after all the game cannot offer unlimited stash countenance, so it’s only fair that players get to pay if they want more stash space than a reasonable standard amount. The question is simply how much pay to win we are comfortable with, and in my case GGG overstepped that boundary long ago when they implemented trade API in the premium tabs without giving any to players without premium tabs.

One could very much argue that the stash tabs in PoE allows exactly that.

It saves you time, it allows you to keep more items for crafting recipes, easier trading etc.
It it a grey area case, but in the end, it would be hard to argue it doesn’t offer at least some actual benefit.