D4 - No Set item

Please explain the contradiction ?

I think sometimes less is best.
No set, no socket.

The number of items in game will increase anyway with DLC. And they already increased the amount of items since runes were officially introduced.

Let me rephrase this:

You can equip max 13 items.
This is because there is a bound between the item and the physical world (player can equip 1 helm, but cannot equip 2 helms).

The amount of equippable items (items slots) is too limited.
Max 13 items limits the number of combinations.
Devs invented sockets to extend this physical limit.

The proposal breaks the physical bound.
It allows 50 items to be equipped.
Sockets are no longer needed.
Sockets can be removed

Not even going to think about your post. There’s enough items to socket, there’s currently runes at lauch to mess around with, there’s already more items than originally intended at launch with DLC’s adding more after… what you actually going on about. They even extended the theoretical launch date to ‘polish’ the game (from the original theoretical realease date to ‘polish’ the game might i add, so that’s 2 polishings if not 3).

i would disagree. what i want out of itemization is variety. equipping 15 instead of 10 legendary items is not more variety for me

but being able to choose from magic items, rare items, unique items, items with many affixes, items with sockets that you can turn into selfmade runewords, items that have set boni, etc.

in the version that i posted aboth the sockets do not increase the amount of power you have, they diversify it. you either get 2 more affixes or you get 2 sockets instead of these affixes.

i don’t want 100 more black lego bricks to build a higher tower
i want bricks in different colors to build a colorful tower

1 Like

Dear M. Benetton, I have an old proposal for this:

https://diablo-proposals.web.app/#items-quality-specificities
(Warning: 8K)

But I think it is no longer actual considering the choices already made into the game so far.

well that’s bloated AF but yea my problem here is that they are narrowing it down on legendaries and uniques only and now we just add sockets on top of them

Rather than color, what matters most is the number of combinations.

The most you have combinations, the most different gameplay experiences you can have.

Of course a shift has to be made from Diablo 3 that has 50% of useless legendaries and few legendaries that were unavoidable, so present in every build, and because they were so strong, no evolution could be implemented (Scythe of the Cycle, Nayr’s Black Death, …etc.)

A better path would be billions of items with each one a super granular power so player would have the freedom to compose its own personalized build.

Just like your favorite sandwich.
Your own tastes.

yea but the sandwich doesn’t have to consist of 20 layers
it’s only important to have a lot of ingredients
i don’t want 1 item tier that sports 10 affixes
i want 5 different item tiers that all do different things and are equally viable in endgame

1 Like

Sandwich has depth:

When I go to Subway:

1. Choose the number of sandwich
  2. Choose the bread
  3. Choose the size (15cm | 30 cm)
  4. Choose the meat 1
  5. Choose the meat 2
  6. Choose the cheese
  7. Choose the cheese format (slice or grate)
  8. Choose the salad
  9. Choose the tomatoes
  10. Choose the cucumber
  11. Choose the pickles
  12. Choose the peppers
  13. Choose the olives
  14. Choose the onion
  15. Choose the sauce 1
  16. Choose the sauce 2
  17. Choose the cookie
  18. Choose the drink

When a customer want to go fast, it simply selects a preset of components.

i think you’re missing the point but nvm

This is the crux of the problem. Having sets in D3 was not a bad thing. It was the implementation of the sets. D2 sets were viable on Hell, they just were nowhere near BIS. They were good transitional gear that would give under-geared players a boost until they could find the BIS items. Tal’s and IK were always strong builds early in the season until you MF-ed those end game pieces.

The problem is in D3, some forum goers cried they wanted them BIS and even more cried the Vanilla ones were completely useless (which they were except Inna Pants). The solution: we won’t just make them BIS, we will make them B!!! I!!! S!!!.

The Jay Wilson style of development where we take something and then we double it ruined the itemization for D3. If this incompetence seeps into D4. I won’t be buying.

I think it is less about the audience and more about the developers themselves. Tom Brady can handle a deep and diverse audience. For Blake Bortles, you need to dumb it down to a handful of plays and decisions, so he doesn’t screw it up.

Seeing as they haven’t achieved even close to reasonable balance on 5 set builds per class in 8 YEARS, I would say they pretty much are not employing Tom Brady for D3. Are they all of sudden going to get Brady for D4? They are going to streamline everything in D4 as they did in D3. KISS, so that the dev’s have less to screw up.

1 Like

2-3 pieces sets are acceptable if they provide strong features, like completely changing the gameplay on several levels of layers, without increasing power (neutral impact).

Yeah, I saw some rumor about that from the beta as well. And I am indeed a fan :smiley:
Well, I was a fan, it doesnt exactly matter when there are no runewords. If gems are just traditional affixes, then it would make more sense that they share the affix spots with those similar other affixes.

Sockets just need to be guaranteed, imo, when they offer something different, and potentially interesating, than gear normally do. Like D4 runewords, or even D3 legendary gems.

That is one thing that should happen imo. Magic and rare items should have more sockets than uniques and legendaries.

:100:

Sigh, exclusive items from the forced multiplayer world boss content…

Scattered Prisms have a chance to drop from World Boss Events and you only need 1 to add a Socket to a piece of gear.

as long as the other items are balanced . imagine if only few legendaries are good . that will limit the builds even more

Well depends on what balance means for you
Maybe legendaries are balanced among each other but not among other item tiers
Only legendaries and uniques are viable.

1 Like

i do not want a situation where a rare items cant be used at end game . as i remember doesnt matter how good a rare item can be a set would always be x10 better.

There are no sets. Yet. And this is not D3, with over bloated multipliers.

oh you are using rare items in end game
they are crafting material to make more legendaries

1 Like

I truly understand what you are saying with more gear slots being around, still they made this choice also for D4, the barb has two extra gear slots and the wizard has the least amount though has two skill slots that can activate passively. Still I’d opt for more ring slots atleast, four ring slots and rune system for some item enhancing immersion, if more slots was introduce, or a separate charm slot inventory.

I did not like the rune system of D2 as it felt to stale looking at a website for recipes and became to deterministic.
I am very fond that there will be no sets at release atleast, because I always felt sets make the game stale as they diversify the experience less and they don’t add to it like procedural item generation does with legendaries and uniques and crafting does.

Still I guess there can be some static item pieces as balance points as for what a good item can be as they stated there will be some of those still I prefer that all stats can roll within intervals + also giving some random rolls of what can be rolled on the item how many slots of rolls it has etc.
An unique item IMHO only benefits from having "oh this unique item has guaranteed rolls for elemental resistance and crit chance with the lowest % tiers cut from the roll interval etc as it is a unique item, also complemented with perks that rolls for different intervals of strength, or else it will be oh I found this and never need to find anything like it again, that will make the persistent realm more boring aswell in between seasons if it the game does not have these functions in the game making uniques varied as items that can roll with almost unlimited different benefits even though it is the same unique, an unique item only has to have certain factor that is a guarantee rolls as for slots still those variables within those slots has to be dynamic, they should also allow for more slots to rolled for an example, an unique hammer called Molpoplos Wrath drops and has rolls for str increase by a % of willpower that % roll has to be a dynamic interval it rolls for so it can roll between 3%-15% etc, still on top of that unique effect that is guaranteed to roll for on this unique item, these sort of unique effects is best kept for unique items, still they might roll with 7 roll slots or 3 roll slots etc with different effects from any of the previous tiers of item, some uniques might have 2 slots of guaranteed roll slots with unique effects or some uniques might be 1 guaranteed effect and 2 random unique effects etc with additional slots that can open up rolling depending on what dropped, these slots I am talking about is not socket slots rather what rolls on the item when it drops and is procedurally created.
Hence more slots that could be equipped wouldn’t be needed as such, rather a more dynamic loot roll system that allow for deeper loot roll and loot comparison gameplay.
A rare ring that can only roll with 4 roll slots and rare ring will always only roll with 4 roll slots is not fun for arpg, rather finding a rare ring that rolled with between 3-7 rolls slots IMHO, magic items 1-5 roll slots and unique items 3-7 slots aswell as it features guaranteed specific rolls.
Legendary is 3-7 slots the difference between a legendary and unique is that legendary can only rolls with one legendary power whilst uniques can have a wider range of benefits as rolling with several unique powers with some guaranteed rolls depending on unique item name with a legendary power that might roll on it on top of that aswell as lower tier perk rolls etc all these factors can play into the name generation creating unique names for every drop or sometimes the same name.
Just pointing out some ideas why more gear slots wouldn’t be needed per say with deeper item roll mechanics. On top of that there could be a rune system aswell that plays with different mechanics that items and rolls on items rarely touch upon.