D4 "newest" footage (update: actually old)

(UPDATE: this is old footage and even in worse quallity. Sorry for that. I followed information from one of biggest site news in my country)

I watched newest footage on dsogaming. What are your opinions on that? I’ll put my feedback in some post below. I don’t want this topic to be about my opinion only.
youtube
watch?v=_KQgGAbWe6E&t=10s

BTW: why there is no D4 forum yet?

1 Like

the lightning-visuals suck. doesn´t look like lightning.

6 Likes

LOL “newest footage”. You’re trying way too hard to advertise your own channel.

And they gotta bring back Seismic Slam and scrap that stupid sideways thing. Looks like something I would do at the beach when I was 5 years old to spite other kids.

9 Likes

The footage quality is awful - instant skip for me.

7 Likes

This is awful. Truly a misfire so far.
The character walks / hops slow like, just like D3, instead of natively running.
The camera is zoomed in a tad closer than compared to D2’s, and is just like D3’s zoomed in too close, which goes hand in hand with slow moving characters that use movement skills on cooldown to nitro around.

Chars should actually run like D2, visually AND actually speed-wise, faster as you gear up, and it should be an item affix/prefix, not a cooldown reducer or on cooldown or a skill. Movement should be via running and a zoomed out camera. not slowly hop/jog like this all bouncy. Like, level 1 run should move faster than this bouncy hop they copied over from D3.

Camera should be zoomed out slightly to support a running character like D2.

This is a D3 clone, completely, in the ways D3 shouldn’t of 'innovated" on, D4 so far is copying those mistakes. Core-level mistakes too.

Def problems with the slow jog/bouncy hop/zoomed in close camera triangle. Super bad idea if they copy D3’s way of doing that, and abandoning D2’s way. It’s super core and important more than loot. Looks absolutely identical to D3, and that’s not good, when the slow bouncy-jog char, zoomed in camera combo is a very, very not-diablo 1/2 way of doing things. Well, good thing console gaming is finally getting fun bc Diablo 4 seems way, way too Diablo 3 to play or even look up and care about for much longer if this continues.

11 Likes

Just remove that awful highlighting or is that some mandatory for disabled people nowadays?

7 Likes

Watched 5 min.
To me, this still looks extremely visually underwhelming.

Everything is gray, and I get it that they are trying to go for bleak, gloomy and kinda more realistic, but the end result is just bad. The game doesn’t look inviting or mysterious, and if you didn’t know it’s a “Diablo” from “The Blizzard” you would probably not pay it a second glance.
I imagine myself seeing this video on steam and putting it solidly into “if I’m really bored” category.

Furthermore, the picture doesn’t look immersive or wholesome. My eyes constantly catches on decidedly CGI looking elements, especially stone walls and monsters look decidedly out of place and “3d model”. A well put together game will have you quickly forget that you are looking at a bunch of assets and make you feel that you are looking at a movie or cartoon. This game instead currently looks like it came from a 3rd party studio that doesn’t have a good art director… Or like half of the assets were bought on asset stores and do not 100% go together.
I’m not sure this wouldn’t get polished in the years to come, but right now it looks bad.

Finally gameplay looks like retro wannabe. It feels much more basic and slow than D3, and both animations and combat flow don’t feel as smooth.

TLDR: I am REALLY worried that in their fear of disappointing the community that shrieks “Diablo 2” in every thread, they will make a below average game that will be years behind the competition both visually and mechanically.

I honestly can’t see myself playing it for years and thousands of hours. Like I did both D3 and D2, only D2 was decades ago.

8 Likes

Because it’s reuploaded Blizzcon demo footage from last year.

19 Likes

“newest footage”

It’s the same Blizzcon footage from 7 months ago. Someone must be living under a rock.

14 Likes

All the same.

I know that it is. But looking at it again just makes me realize all those things once more.

3 Likes

Different teams and everything, but how much did D3 change - or rather IMPROVE - between the first gameplay trailer & launch?

Graphically - I would argue not much.

Gameplay - it was completely re-don like 3 times. But that was Blizzard of before.
Toray, I doubt they would go to such lengths and would rather push out the game fast.
Just look at WC3R - Blizzard who released “when it’s done” would have never made such a buggy broken mess that was false-advertizing to add insult to injury.

What you say is true, it IS early in development. But seeing how Blizzard does thing these days - I am very worried that they lost the spark completely with the departure of Metzen.

Animations and combat should definitely feel smooth, but I’m not against slower and more basic. I really hope that D4 builds don’t become 1skill builds like d3.

7 Likes

true
i dont actually want to see my character with their weapon on their back, swirling around lasers, shadows and gosts to beat enemies with their basic attacks xD

5 Likes

I played D3 extensively for years and due to the way the product kept being mishandled (rampant cheating and design issues among other things) eventually just quit. Why invest more time in a game even the developers don’t respect? Those choices they made made me extremely skeptical of D4.

This looks just like more of the same; absolutely terrible direction.

3 Likes

Reported the video for misleading text.
This is not new.

4 Likes

d3 on release was an absolute dumpster fire so I really hope it didn’t improve at all in that time…… between launch and reaper of souls however the game improved by at least 1000% so they certainly learned the hard way from some of their mistakes.

2 Likes

Slower combat with more depth would be a positive change.
Combat flow should still feel smooth even if slower of course.

Not a fan of the brown in grey and brown art style though.

4 Likes

The inventory being to the right of your equipped gear is beyond unintuitive. No clue how this made it past the UI drawing board. You pick up items far more often than you equip new things (especially in the end game). Having to move your cursor over your char to get to your inventory is such a clunky and unnecessary experience. D2 and D3 had it right where you could access your gear OR your inventory without having to navigate over one or the other.

2 Likes

Lol, how is people falling for this sht post? This is from Blizzcon 2019 Demo.

The guy i’m sure its part of the youtube channel who posted the video, just to get some views and…traffic!