D4 looks too washed out and needs contrast

I agree d4 should have some areas more saturated. They could add more color while still staying “dark”. I know it is supposed to be gloomy, but I don’t want to see everything in almost grayscale.

1 Like

I’m not to sure about this.
I ran a persons game video demo through Adobe Premiere adjusting the contrast. When you add contrast you start to add “cartoon” edge. I think real life vision has a lot less contrast than people realise.

It’s really nice to see how much it resembles older Diablo games. Nothing a bit of work can’t fix. RE2 remake had similar problem and you could fix it with a bit of tinkering.

I see, and how is this all connected to Sanctuary? I just realize that you can borrow stuff from history but you can’t “carbon copy” it. I still have to get the Diablo books and read. Been meaning to do it but haven’t got the will.

Just take the little chopped dude on D1. That idea is the perfect example of how you can borrow the concept of a demon but not continue with it’s specific archetypal drama and instead of simply killing the dude, the wounds are infernal to the point that renders in suffering as opposed to merciful death.

Because NOW is the time to give feedback. Not when the game is almost done - that’s too late.

It’s a thing with feedback - the earlier it arrives - the better it is for everyone.
It becomes almost completely useless the closer you get to release, and when it comes to things like art direction - 2 years before release may ALREADY be too late, because it becomes unfeasible for the company to tweak all the textures/assets while preserving organic feel between them.

Realistic graphics are overrated. Uncanny valley is still a thing - and D4 graphics fall straight into it. As in, it doesn’t look real - it looks artificial. It actually looks more like CG than Diablo 3 looked, and that’s bad.
Diablo 4 looks decidedly like it’s made of 3d models - by that I mean that your eye doesn’t “forget” that you’re looking at a game scene, you don’t get immersed in the action, always seeing that it’s a game.

It looks like a product of much smaller studios.

1 Like

For me personally, the closer and closer to playing The Lord of the Rings movie it gets, the happier I’ll be.

The world and lore panel said that the demo took place in an area that looked, per the description given by the panel, exactly like they described. I personally think it looks pretty good right now and if you watched the panel they showed in game shots of the other zones, they don’t look like the demo zone.
Let’s give them some time and see what the next update reveals. I personally like what I see so far. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I disagree, i don’t feel it was too washed out. It looked natural not artificial like D3. I really enjoyed it and the art/theme spoke to me like D2. To me its feel very true to Diablo and I loved it.

3 Likes

Diablo I was the first Diablo I played as a teen. The game was dark, gritty, dingy, and spooky. The music and sounds were chilling and had a certain je ne sais croix to them. The colors were more dull, darker, and lent themselves to feeling that something was wrong with the world. The boss encounters didn’t come with blasé cinematic rendered using the in-game engine. In fact, you sort of stumbled into the butcher down in the labyrinth; you were startled, scared, and suddenly fighting for your life. Your victory was not guaranteed. In fact, I died to the butcher countless times before I was able to best him and move on. Your character, though possessed of some powerful abilities, could barely outrun the monsters and often was overwhelmed and succumbed to the masses of hell. You had to try, you even got frustrated, and you didn’t feel like a superhero in the process.

What Diablo I was is not was what Diablo II and III eventually came to be. Diablo II and eventually III became more about hacking and slashing in bright, and rich color palates than they did anything else. Things stopped being difficult, fear of defeat diminished as a concern as the series progressed, and the atmosphere of the game changed completely. Diablo II and III were not scary and increasingly felt more like EVERY OTHER BLIZZARD TITLE. With all that talent in the same building, I personally do not want every Blizzard game to feel the exact same. Diablo IV needs to return to the roots when Blizzard North, a completely different group of developers, brought their own flavor to the game that set it apart from everything else not only Blizzard was producing but everything else on the market.

Diablo I was dark in the lore, the soundscape was filled with eerie noises and occult acoustics that created a music unlike any I have ever heard in any other game. Diablo I didn’t feature the Eminence City Orchestra performing big, grandiose pieces with countless classical instruments. It was almost as if crude instruments were plucked from hell itself to compose the soundtrack. I don’t want to see bright colors everywhere in Diablo IV. Using rich colors can have its place, but it should not dominate the entire game and in my humble opinion, would be best used sparingly and tastefully. The music should be seething with the malice of the creeping darkness, and the game play should be challenging, demanding, even to the point of being frustrating. I don’t want to feel like Tony Stark in an Iron Man suit running around Sanctuary, I want to feel like I’ve really got a fight on my hands and I’m ill-prepared for it like I did in Diablo I.

After watching the footage I am worried we are about to get more of Diablo III and that’s not what I want out of the game. The in-game footage shows each of the three classes just hacking, slashing, and ripping through the enemies and that wasn’t my experience in the first game. Can we please get away from this superhero trope and imbue some humanity and the fear and frailty that comes with it into a game. It’s no wonder people are bored and burned out on games; every one tries to tell a story about someone who is more powerful than a God overcoming the odds. There are other ways to tell a good story and have a good gameplay experience besides just click, click, click to slash, slash, slash and win win, win; It’s mind-numbing and boring.

Oh, and FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS DIABLO, don’t pollute the experience with a focus on cosmetics. I love playing Overwatch and I even play DOTA2 and have ALL THE GD COSMETICS for each of those games, but Diablo I was never about having the coolest looking adventurer for me, and spending all this time on making things look rich, saturated, and bling-bling detracts from the atmosphere. If people want big pauldrons and shiny spaulders, let them play WoW. I don’t want the Diablo IV experience to be polluted by worrying about how Epic or Legendary my armor is. That also is removed from the core concepts of Diablo I.

1 Like

so its the job of the community instead of the developers? nice job they have

Your “artistic eye” doesn’t amount to jack in an entirely subjective topic.

The original screenshots look far superior to me.

I think the game looks real good, and about 100 times better
then the cartoon we call D3.

1 Like