D4 looks too washed out and needs contrast

The game does look a bit flat to me. I did love the concept art they showed that it looked like a painting but I feel it didn’t translate as effectively in the game.

3 Likes

I tend to agree. It’s definitely not cartoony. If D2 graphics weren’t crap, this is what it would look like. People crying about it not being “pretty enough” aren’t familiar at all with the franchise.

i agree it needs more color
like that there is no cartoon colors but no need to be so grey
i like lost ark stile
i hope they put more color in it and it can still be dark atmosphere

2 Likes

This is what i was saying elsewhere. right now it looks okay, not muddy and things are identifiable. But dark doesn’t need to mean no contrast, and in fact higher contrast would emphasize the dark further. it would be nice to have some colour that isn’t so washed out. Lack of contrast i think is one of the biggest issues PoE has visually, and so far d4 looks better than that, so that’s good at least, but having a more varied range would be definition make the colours pop and the shadows seem darker

3 Likes

I agree. Your screenshots were an improvement to me. I’m still excited about the game, and I know it’s a few years away yet, but this is something that I really hope they get right.

2 Likes

My sentiments precisely. This definitely ought to be adjusted before the game ships. The concept art looked great, but the game itself looked as though it went overboard with the visual dampening. The result is not to my taste at all, but I don’t think it would need that much adjustment to be great.

I really like the way the game looks now, but if they change it I’d really like it to be in the style of Caravaggio

www.caravaggio. org/caravaggio-paintings.jsp

High contrast, dark darks and light lights.

Which is quite similar to their concept art and I think it would be perfect for the game.

imgur.com/uWADUR4.jpg
imgur.com/0IEP0OU.jpg

Renaissance paintings are not middle age anymore.
You are only right about Caravaggio or Michelangelo for one thing: they worked on religion theme during XVI. But it’s not medieval art.Sorry but Caravaggio is too recent. The risk is to turn the game into d3 act5 again: a baroque fest.

I remember that they wanted a washed out look for D3 so that it felt that the environment was a painting. This was supposed to help with spells and visibility when there were lots of players/enemies on screen. Sadly, it looks like they are adopting the same philosophy…

i actually prefer the first set of screen shots but thats just me

1 Like

Why are we judging a game that’s in pre-alpha on graphics that’s not even scheduled to be released potentially several years from now? Aren’t finished touches like that handled lastly?

The you can’t criticize a game in “insert game state” is a tired point made in almost every post on every forum for any game in development ever. I’ve seen fanboys say that a complete overall is still possible for a game slated for release in 2 months (warhammer choasbane)

Much prefer the original versions. Your versions have the over-saturated look of an instagram filter or a photographer editing his first sunset

1 Like

The streams looked fine to me. It’s just my opinion, but I think this is the most “realistic” looking Diablo game so far. Although, I admit, that might be from all these past years of playing Diablo III. (I still can’t believe Whimsyshire. At least Whimsydale is a good place to loot).

Maybe adjust your video card preferences. I use an NVIDIA card. I adjust options in the Control Panel to use “GPU” instead of “Display”. I also make sure “NVIDIA” is selected for color, brightness and contrast instead of video player settings.

Also, make sure the “Dynamic Range” is set to “Full (0-255)”. You’ll find it under Video → Adjust video color settings → 2. How do you make color adjustments → With the NVIDIA settings → Advanced (tab). By default it’s set to “Limited (16-235)”.

Please learn how to post image links. In the meantime, I’ve fixed yours:

https://imgur.com/a/SSVjt9b

To post a link:

1. Paste the link in your post.
  2. Select the link you just pasted and click the </> button on the Reply Editor toolbar.
  3. Click Reply.

Your link will look similar to this: https://d3resource.com/journey/index.php

I think graphics and environment looks fine. My fear is, that designers reading here and going for mass saturation on the color palette for the final release with teddy bears and unicorn tails.
I say, don’t ruin this. Grayish hue and mute colors made a better visualization than what we have on D3.

4 Likes

Nooooooooooo!

In all but 1 the original was better. Only the one with green color scheme was better with higher contrast.

Is it medieval or historic medieval you want?

I would say everything between end of antiquity to late Gothic works well.
500 to 1400
From the XVth century come powder weapons, and Renaissance, that revolutionise arts, sciences, architecture, philosophy. People started to be more critics toward religion. Renaissance is definitely to avoid, it kind of ends the “dark times”
If some people who studied history, they could enlighten us further.