D4 Itemization Blog, post feedback here!

I would normally agree. However. With the low number of affixes in gear that D4 currently has and the low rolls that crit damage have showed so far, I don’t think there is a need to worry at this moment. Crit isn’t impossible to balance.

Sorry, i wasn’t trying to take you out of context I was just quoting the specific part that I was replying about.

I think making legendary items not have stat locking would be an interesting mechanic to further differentiate them, but I still think that it could end up being an issue where it makes most legendaries the entry level item and a rare with the same legendary affix is the BIS item.

so given your example:

If, say for my build I am going glass-cannon or already have a ton of other toughness from other items where life is no longer a stat i’m searching for a rare is suddenly always my endgame hunt for said legendary, even if it would take much longer to find one with +2 to the skill i need it would still be my endless hunt.

This ordinarily wouldn’t really be a problem because it’s rare enough your BIS might as well be the legendary, but anyone who has ever checked the leaderboards for d3 and seen the top player with 7+ primals with the right stats on them knows that those items still get found and still show as BIS for the top players.

And I think that’s the real issue i have with making a legendary more likely to be second best for it’s own affix, It should be BIS is a rare with the affix OR the legendary with the affix, not just the rare. Especially because it doesn’t feel as rewarding in my eyes to be geared with all yellows. Ideally in my view most builds would be 60-70% legendary items 30-40% rares.

If the system was implemented as it is. There is no incentive of using legendaries over rares. Rares drop more frequently and therefore it is easier to get a rare with better mods than legendaries. Now you just have to farm or trade for the consumable you need for the specific legendary affix you want.

As of right now there is nothing distinguishing between rares and legs. And therefore rares are bis. Because rares are more common and therefore easier to get better rolls.

And that’s the item juggle. As it should be. Also, what if crushing blow doesn’t normally roll on chests? You can only get it because it’s a legendary chest? This allows you free crushing blow chance on an item with no stat investment where it usually doesn’t roll anymore. Which allows you to free up crushing blow somewhere else or not even take it somewhere else. Meaning you no longer need the ancestral power investment as you only wanted it for crushing blow.

No, every legendary wouldn’t offer this scenario. But a lot should. The goal shouldn’t be to find the best “stats” for an item slot and then you can roll whatever leg affix you want on it. It should be a balancing act. What do legendaries offer that rares don’t? This is easier to achieve when you give uniqueness to legendaries

if the legendaries have just as many affixes as the rares or maybe sightly less but with unique placements, as mr. llama mentioned, they can still stay relevant

1 Like

Well I really like the ancestral, demonic, angelic power stats concept. I think it is important to not go overboard with this. I wouldn’t want every single item to have affixes dependent on the powers. Also, I hope it isn’t taking the place of a good strength/dexterity/intelligence stat system that is an improved version of D2 stat system.

Concerning legendary items, I think it is important to go back to D2 legendary design where the item is unique by virtue of the stats, higher than normal stat, stat that isn’t typically available in that slot. “Regular” stats can be fun and interesting. The game shouldn’t revolve around legendary affixes too much. Some is fine, game changing is fine but I hope it doesn’t become the singular focus.

I’m probably just too traditionalist, I get where you’re coming from, but i read the article to say that legendaries still slightly outpace a rare… and if that’s the case (either by one extra affix slot or slightly stronger affix potential or slightly stronger attack/armor potential)
Then i think the point of end-game rare viability would largely come similarly to how kanai’s cube functions currently. It allows combinations of legendary affixes that wouldn’t normally be possible, by letting you place them in other item slots so you can get 2 chest piece affixes into your build.

That being said, i definitely agree with the possibility of having a legendary item that has a pseudo-legendary affix, like how in D3 Yang’s Recurve Bow is best in slot for multishot build because it comes with up to 50% resource cost reduction that you cant get on any other item.
I’d just rather see 1 or 2 affixes like that locked to a legendary than saying legendary a always has this set of 6 affixes.

2 Likes

I had an idea for stat points keep it simple
Heath - increase vitality + manna
Defense - increase base resistances
Attack - increase base attack
Also limit wepons to class ie staffs and wands to magic users
2 hand swords to barbs
One hand swords to druid barb paladin ???
Bows crossbow to range class
Then you get your stat and skill points
But you don’t get magic users with swords for damage
And maybe only give you 2 stat points per lvl
So you think about where to put them ?

sounds like an even dumped down version of D2 and exclusives suck
so a no from me

Thank you to the D4 team and David Kim for the update.
I enjoy the idea with placing antagonistic stats on items like Angelic and Demonic. I see that the big plus side here is you get to focus on what you care about, while using the same items.
If I feel like playing a “Demonic” build, all I have to do is to swap some items that give me more Demonic, and these same boots will then switch benefit. This is cool. I could use two builds.

What I want to suggest is, don’t end up in a situation where everyone chooses JUST Angelic, since whatever angelic build is the flavor of the month and highest dps. Then everyone will avoid playing Demonic, so the purpose of the system would be defeated.
Instead , focus on making BOTH Demonic and Angelic very viable , in their own ways - simply different playstyles altogether. If Angelic focus on my char would give me a certain range of spells that require a certain playstyle, but Demonic would give me ENTIRELY different spells taht have the SAME DPS , but require a much different playstyle - I feel that would be fantastic.

TLDR - I like the Angelic versus Demonic itemization, but dont vary DPS between the two - instead, make them do same DPS and vary playstyle completely, based on choice of the two. Entirely different spells, rotation, etc. One should not be weaker than the other, but instead entirely different.

Thank you.

We don’t have enough info to give proper feedback on the new “Legendary crafting” system.

The first problem I have with this system, is that the most interesting part of Legendary items are their affix. If you turn that into something you can add to Rare items, you basically take away the biggest part of the Legendary.

Do Legendary items have better stat ranges than Rares? Because if they don’t, you might as well just remove them from the game.

1 Like

So I just had a stray thought after listening to a streamers review of David Kim Blog.

What if the powers of Angelic, Demonic and Ancient were incremental? Like amortized over of the value of the power required to activate for some of the mentioned power.

In this example (Above) you need 50 to activate +1 to skill rank. No way to incrementally use the + to skill.

But in this example Above) if you only had 30 to Demonic power you would achieve 13% Fire resistance and +1 to Char Ash.

Just suggesting to make it something other than all or nothing, this way you can grow into good gear with other items.

3 Likes

Clarify this a little? Do you mean, that the legendary affix would overwrite? I’m honestly not to sure as of the moment about where D3 stands on crafting. I’d imagine the best solution in D4, would be to have magic items keep their original affix/suffix and add the unique component.

My reason for different names is because the standard base stats don’t apply to all classes. The sorc doesn’t have strength or dex based abilities. The barb doesn’t have int based abilities.

Forcing them to have them is just shoehorning in a solution, instead of just solving the problem from the get go. I know it’s weird for people who like just seeing familiar stats. But it’s just not needed for this kind of game.

These names apply equally to all classes regardless of what their actual strengths are. It doesn’t rely on stat padding (armor on strength) to try and make a stat useful for classes that don’t use it. And it just makes the stat worse in terms of balance for classes that do stack it because they just get that much more out of it.

It doesn’t balance stats. It makes them worse. Just like in D3.

I dislike the standard stat system for arpgs with as much class distinction as Diablo 2 and 3. And I think a new one is needed to actually fit the game properly. I think this is a good change.

1 Like

i mean, that magic items had a potential to roll affixes to a higher number than any other items
thats what made them still viable in endgame

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure +1 to Char to Ash would cost 50 demonic power just like Devastation. You are effectively making the +1 mods useless because it’s way better to get +2 and just get half the stat requirement.

In fact, this probably holds true for all mods with tiers. There is an “entry” level requirement for the mod and there is small increments as they increase in power. As long as that remains true you allow people to abuse the system by just getting gear with higher tiers.

I think that would be good still, and allow the unique mod to be added on. Get a couple potentially really powerful affixes on a piece, while not having as many affixes as others. Balance of course being in how different.

1 Like

mr. llama also mentioned, that the legendary power could be stronger on magic items, as to their natural behavior, making affixes stronger

2 Likes

These 3 new affixes are so stupid.

You could be correct on the +1 to skill at 50, just looking at the concept to give you some of the resistances (mostly) as opposed to all or nothing. Small incremental usage based on your power level. Just throwing it out there…

I believe there will be tiers of mods that have no stat requirement. So even though 25% cold resists requires angelic power. There could be a tier of cold resists that costs 0 angelic power.
It could be:
5 - 10% cold - 0 Angelic power
11 - 20% - 30 angelic power
21 - 28% - 40 Angelic power

as an example. Some strong mods will always have requirments. But generic mods like movement speed/life/resists will have both. Tiers with and without requirements.

It’s too early to know; Blizzard probably doesn’t even fully know how it would be implemented as they didn’t seem to have it really fleshed out. But the image did suggest it would be something like this.