D4 item customization feedback

I like the looks of how changes are being made, i believe steps are being taken in the right direction. My view is probably not unique and has been reiterated so many times but i still feel the need to put it out there once more. Items kind of tie into abilitys/skills so this will be a discussion of both.

Let me first start by saying i understand why the stats were trimmed from d2 to d3, though i dont agree with the catering to lack of thought to character customization as some of the best games have learning curves, particularly for optimization. You want to feel like your build is well planned out without being penalized for trying new things or just misunderstanding something early on. Theres ways to do that without making a main stat dump. It ends up feeling like your catering to the people who dont care for the details, which is not the majority of your fanbase… theres other hack and slashes out there for that.

I believe elements of the best parts of d2 and d3 can be captured without their downsides, starting with a popular topic among the pc crowd runes and runewords (i own d3 on all consoles even switch just not on comp, but i own d2 for pc) the downsides to runes and runewords is firstly the amount of space ALL the different runes take. Second it creates a best in slot scenario, but many players enjoyed essentially being able to multiclass and get abilities not available to their class in their end game setups. Runes in d3 were a good attempt to capture this depth of gameplay but didnt retain the multiclass element that was so enjoyable.

It would be great if we could get the best of both worlds here but even if you can use other classes abilities but not their runewords (or runeeords for some multiclass prefix/affix/applyable it would be quite difficult to balance. It would be a great way to make rares relevant endgame if it was well thought out though.

Another element that was culled between d2 and d3 was the amount of stats/effects gems could be socketed for. Which again takes away customization, although in d2 there were clear better choices there was also more options for different goals/builds.

TL;DR: Rares being relevant to endgame is a good fit for the genre, and adds more depth to the mandatory legendary/set item standard thats been held up til now. I believe with only these changes they may still end up being irrelevant, maybe taking up one or two slots that dont have good legendaries/sets. Adding a “d2 runeword type multiclass skill” prefix/affix or applyable is a solid way to make them relevant endgame and add depth to character customization. Also bring back more socketable choices! Character customization FTW!

not meaning to dissuade you, but Blizz could really care less about what we think on consoles… granted they did finally let us on PTR, they don’t really care about console players… We’ve had 1 blue comment since the new forums went live.

I think you need to ask yourself this question you want D4 or D2.5 or D3.5. If you want D4 it means you want a new game play… of cause everyone can argue if we change everything it is no longer call diablo series.

So since you play D series let’s all go back to memory lane.

I never played D1(if you count 10mins on pS1 than yes I did played D1), started really on D2 LOD not D2.

D1 Vs D2 d2 practically change everything if you look at gameplay, class… I know a lot of players will disagreed but IMO I felt runewords are the worst add on later… you might have WF or eagle horn EH, it is still doable in a way the skill player holding EH might be better in a way WF only rules in KB. Now comes along “faith” bow, now go ahead & gives the most skill player the perfect WF & gives the casual player “faith” bow. My money is ALWAYS on the casual player. this applies to PvP or PvM.

next D1 D2 D3, again D3 change everything with paragon, sets & in a way I felt D3 is really a fast pace game compare to D1 or D2. Skills are change too now the so call runeswords are actually in yr skill. the change might not be needed but D3 D2 D1 really is 3 different games to ever begin with.

Now we look at D4, so what’s the new stuff here? If they stick to paragon, skill tree, even the class is going to be from D2 maybe many years later they would come out DLC hey look we got you a new class to play monk & DH coming over to D4.

We can never please everyone, yes I am glad we are having D2.5 or D3.5 or maybe D4 if anyone wants to call it. It is still in early stage but we see maybe they might come out with something interesting along the way.