[D4] Inventory and stash size

Here is a table comparing the inventory, stash size and gameplay pace in popular aRPGs (BW acronym means Big Weapons):

Game Inventory BW in Inv Stash Pace
D1 40, 4x10 5 No Slow
D2 40, 4x10 5 48, 8x6 Medium
D3 60, 6x10 30 Limited Very fast
PoE 60, 5x12 6 Unlimited Very fast
D4 33, 3x11 33 Unknown Slow

What we can see is that while D1 and D2 are consistent in regards to gameplay pace versus inventory/stash space, D3/PoE/D4 aren’t.

D3 could benefit from unlimited stash space to better match its gameplay pace, while PoE can benefit from reducing the slot space of their big arsenal. We know that the pace of gameplay in PoE 2 will be way slower than in PoE 1 so their developers may not have to adjust anything for PoE 2 besides limiting the stash size, but we all know that won’t happen since they sell it to profit from it.

In Diablo 4 however while 33 slots for materials and light stuff would be okay, 33 slots for big arsenal clearly doesn’t make sense for a game with slow gameplay pace.

The possible solutions regarding inventory size are:
1] Change the gameplay pace to very fast
2] Bring in the inventory tetris making big arsenal take 3x2 slots
3] Reduce the inventory size for equipment to 1x5
4] Reduce the inventory size for equipment to 1x4 and allow for inventory on mounts, and/or other methods

If any of the above isn’t done the inventory space won’t be consistent with the gameplay pace which would result in us feeling more like scavengers and traders than heroes of Sanctuary. We would quickly sell 33 big weapons in town and then go back to mindlessly collecting another 33 to sell while participating in slow combat. It won’t be adequate.

If you don’t believe me a consistent gameplay pace feels better, just go and try D3 from level 1 on difficulty for slow combat pace with “limiting” your inventory to 10 slots only.

1 Like

Source?

Sadly nothing indicates D4 will have a slow pace.
It definitely should however.

In any case, inventory space has nothing to do with slow or fast combat pacing. 33 slots can fit perfectly with a slower pace.

I wonder how you would fit Grim Dawn in your little table. I believe you can fit around 44 big weapons in there, and still have a fair bit of space left (since there isnt room for large weapons on the last two rows)

Which it is? :confounded:

Both quotes say the same thing… :woman_shrugging:
Since inventory space has nothing to do with combat pace, a large inventory can fit just fine with slow combat.

Why not make it endlessly large then? Let’s allow the player to pick every single item the monsters drop…

Endlessly large inventory sounds bad for server performance.
Also a mess to find items you are looking for, in an endlessly large inventory.

That said, I would love an insanely huge stash.

Then don’t use it. Some players will enjoy it.

The point is: There is optimal size regarding inventory and stash space and these should follow the other variables in our game design with the most major one - gameplay pace.

That doesn’t solve the server performance issues.
I definitely didn’t say I wouldn’t enjoy endless inventory. There are just too big problems with “endless”, so something below endless is likely better.

I wont argue whether there is an optimal inventory space (though it is dubious). Only that whatever it might be, it is completely unrelated to combat pace.

Grim Dawn has a fairly decent inventory space though. Would be okay with that.

Everything is related to everything regarding gameplay pace. Inventory is just one of the many factors which is obviously done wrong in D4.

You don’t buy a mansion for $10m and put IKEA furniture in it. It isn’t consistent. It makes a MEME mansion.

i dont know how to feel yet about all that separated inventory tabs
gotta know more about consumables and materials
but it feels weird right now

It should be separated for sure - Bag of Holding versus regular bag.

The first time I had a Bag of Holding was in 1981 with AD&D.

• I found out much later that I lived about an hour from the home of Gary Gygax.

So far it looks good to me. I like to keep things organized so this will help.

• They have not said anything about stash yet.

Having a separate inventory for materials really depend on what they are doing with materials and crafting imo.
If there are a lot of different crafting materials, which you will mostly find in small amounts, then it makes sense. As in, opposite of D3s system, and more like what you see in some MMOs or survival/crafting games. Or what you see in Grim Dawn.

A quest inventory might be unnecessary. Quest items could just be counted for the quest without showing up anywhere. But it isn’t like it will do any harm to have an inventory for it.

Yes, this helps.

The only thing stash space size and inventory size do is determine how much time you will spend porting back to town. Or how long it will take you to figure out what to pick up and what to leave.

Unless there is some bonus to damage being able to pick up more stuff. Look it doesn’t matter if you have 33 spaces of inventory or only 11 if you still are killing the mobs in 10 secs.

rpgs are not just about your damage

@Lolli42 It is when you are factoring in kill speed. Kill speed is what sets the pace of the game.

almost
but an rpg is not just the combat

Well the consumables stack so that’s a big upgrade to how much one can carry

The only thing that I’d do is make polearms/spears/pole-axes and things of that nature 2 cells in height or even better in a separate inventory in the mount’s saddleback, otherwise it’s fine :slight_smile:

His head…yeah I know how you feel.