[D4] I made another skill tree

Constraints are good, artificial constraints are not. In the pyramid case we still have constraints - you can’t go directly to the top, but we don’t have to pick mandatory nodes one doesn’t need.

You still have paths. More paths. I’d go A, C → J, you’d go B, D → K. Otherwise we both go A, then I go C, you go D and we have for me A, C → J and for you A, D → K. Our builds are more similar in the tree way.

yea but how do you display that if these choices are 5 meters away from each other

I don’t see how “your way” is better than just taking those nodes you really need, where “your way” is the same taking nodes you need but with the obligatory wasting points on useless nodes.

You unlock the next tier when the player invested enough in the lower.

it was a parody on blizz calling their “+damage” mods a powerful upgrade

borderlands style then
yea, works
just not in the tree

Why not in the tree?

All pyramids could be on the same screen. There isn’t any problem with that. Unlocking particular nodes could then unlock nodes from other skill pyramids (or this could be left for the legendary items).

i mean yes you can make it work
it just doesnt really please the idea and art of a tree with different branches if anything you do lets you go anywhere you want to go and the branches are just a picture and not an actual mechanic

Yes, visually it won’t be a tree, it would be a circle containing pyramids.

could look cool as well
i might gonna…uuuugh the tree was already so much work and it wasnt even my own art XDDDD

Each of these pieces have tiers.

It will be more work, yes, you’ll need to add content haha. Go go! (I am bad with photoshop myself).

so you go from the outside to the inside?
i was more imagining it like a star if you get me

Yes, from outside to inside would be more practical regarding space usage. The other way is a star, but if you have many skills it would take much more space.

It adds an additonal cost to moving around the tree. It means you might not want to take the nodes you “really need”, because you think the points can be spend better elsewhere.

Are you moving in or out on this? I assume in, if it is based on the non-inversed pyramid? Moving out would basically make it a web like in Wolcen, which did it pretty good imo.

Is each segment its own separate skill? So one “pyramid” per skill?

also if you keep them tight together, there might be cross overs (which is the coolest thing :p)

Yes.

One click - two skills :). That power creep haha.

it can cost multiple points
but it was at least very much fun to design cross overs between different skills in that tree

These could be marked with different colors on the pyramids. For example two red blocks would mean you can “jump” from one to the other (one red unlocks the other red/s).

I like that way more than the big pyramid at least. Since then you are not making all skills share a smaller and smaller subset of upgrades.
Though I still dont get why it is positive to narrow the choices the further you go.

Instead of pyramides, wouldnt you get some of the same, just better, with something like this (sorry, paint!):

The big negative about this system (and same for the “pyramid wheel thing”, is the lack of crossover upgrades.
However, upgrades that work for multiple skills is basically what the passive skill tree is; so maybe it isn’t a big loss. You could pretty much just move those cross-over ideas into the passive tree instead.
(I still like Lolli42s tree better though. Also, not really any way to add the passive nodes into the active system here, so the whole passive system would need to be redesigned as well, which is a shame. The idea of having to “pay” (with active skill points) for how many passives you can pick, is kinda interesting in Blizzards skill tree)

What do you mean by “warp nodes” ? :thinking:

I never meant a big 3D pyramid for all skills.

Because the skill gets more complex effects. You’d have for example 2-headed Hydra at tier 2, and 3-headed at tier 3. And we have more basic effects and passives than complex.

Let’s take Blizzard turns into Fire Rain. We place it on both the Blizzard and Meteor pyramid and mark it with red color. Once you unlock one of these you can “jump” to the other red and start climbing the respective pyramid from there (you’d have unlocked the tier in question). This would allow you to skip the lower part of the pyramid investing only a point in the main skill.