[D4] How would you like the stash to work?

You can just look at your profile online, that shows all the followers. Quicker to tab out than to manually log each and every char.

If that means that stackables will have their own section away from stash as in D3, I am down for it.

Unless you run into the situation that stash is very limited because there are too many ā€œactorsā€ as we have with D3. To avoid this, I would be fine with having a certain amount of tabs dedicated to general, so all characters can have access to them, along with personal tabs/class specific tabs which will allow us to have more stash space.

Doesnā€™t matter much to me, but prefer part personal and part shared. What matters more is having a lot of stash space. Which personal stash should help with.

Also, more important, have a freaking search function, that search in both item names, affixes etc.

1 Like

+1 cheese pants.

Or just little tick boxes.

Well you can do that yourself
You can dedicate a tab or section to a character
Shared is option
Personal is forced

I imagine all my characters to live in the same universe an they share a stash together and will drop each other little presents <3

But I understand if one character had 1 tab of space in a stash then 5 characters would need 5 tabs in a shared stash.
I am sure they are considering that

Iā€™d like to be able to do it in game. I understand that mechanic exists through a browser, but Iā€™m in game, why should I need to leave game to see something?

1 Like

It was just a tip, do with it what you will.

The problem is when all the tabs are global, you run into the problem of having significantly less tabs possible then if it is a mix of global and class/character specific. Take D3 for example: We cannot have more than 13 stash tabs or else the internet will crash, their servers will catch on fire, and cause the ruination of human society. Since you can only have 13 tabs loaded into the game, if you had 8 global tabs and 5 class specific tabs for each class, then you would still have 13 tabs loaded into the game, but have 8 + 5*7 for 43 tabs available for storage.

If they can program D4 to have a ton of global storage space available, I am fine with that. Unfortunately, I do not trust them to do this properly, so I feel a mix of global and class/character specific storage spaces would be a better way to design it from the start, so they do not have to try to fix it later.

2 Likes

Exactly this. Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s hard to understand. Having personal + shared stash space (like D2R) means theoretically more stash space than all shared stash space (assuming ofc that a person plays more than a single character).

Just using D2R as an example, a person gets about 1 personal stash tab, and 3 shared stash tabs. Now if a person plays just one character, then thereā€™s not much difference if all 4 stash tabs were shared. However, if they play, letā€™s say 5 different characters, then they no longer have simply 4 stash tabs available, but instead 8 stash tabs available (with 5 of them being personal), which is again an upgrade in comparison to having simply 4 shared stash tabs.

In other words, this isnā€™t simply a ā€œdo it yourselfā€ situation, at least not unless Diablo 4 had a system where for every character you have on your account, you gain an additional stash tab, then thatā€™d be another thing altogether.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not how it works. Unloaded tabs still have to be stored on the servers, no matter what you are playing at one moment. So if we take D3ā€™s 13 tabs as an example, having one personnal per character, with potentially 12 characters, would result in having just 2 tabs in-game : 1 personnal + 1 shared. What you propose simply means triple storage for servers, I doubt itā€™s viable financially.

Now Iā€™m just being candid here, but do you know other online buy-to-play games that offers more space ? D2R has up to 23 tabs I know, but they also contains much less items since they take up more space.

Iā€™d like 100% shared stash, no Bags or any of that annoying interface nonsense.

• 5 tabs free
  • 10 tabs we buy with gold
  • 10 tabs we earn through quests or whatever
  • Up to 50 total tabs, the rest sold by blizzard for real $$, no leasing, just one time fee ā€” losing loot due to an expired CC is no fun.

No crafting materials or keys in the stash.

Filters by keyword, item type and affix. Iā€™d also like loot mailboxes for sending items to people, where you can leave a note:

ā€˜this tunicā€™s is mesh ā€” maybe you wonā€™t stink so much the next time we playā€¦ā€™

It seems unlikely the server storage is anywhere as much of an issue as what is currently loaded.

1 Like

That is how it works. The problem wasnā€™t how much was stored outside of the game, the problem was how much was loaded when you enter the game. If you entered the game with 13 tabs fully loaded with one slot items all containing gems and had 4 players in the game there would be game performance issues from what Blizz said. If total storage space was the issue, they would not have offered us 4 stash tabs to begin with.

As my solution of mixed tabs applies to D3, you have 43 total tabs. When you play a dh, the 5 dh class specific tabs plus the 8 general tabs are loaded into the game keeping it at 13 total tabs loaded into memory when entering the game. When you play a barb, the 5 barb tabs plus the 8 general tabs are loaded into the game maintaining 13 tabs loaded into memory.

Do not know, do not care. D3 is the only online RPG I play.

If the cost of server space is an issue, they can just sell tabs. I do know other online games sell storage space. Use D3 for an example. Give 5 general tabs and 1 class specific tab per class with the base game. Sell the other 3 general tabs and 4x7 =28 class specific tabs for $5. They would make a killing that would easily pay for the storage space. If they do not want to look too greedy, allow players to earn one of the tabs each season and have the pay option for those that do not want to wait the 8-10 years to earn them all or for those that do not play season. They would still make a ton of money.

I understand but I wasnā€™t thinking about game performance, just storage. Even if itā€™s not loaded, the data still has to be stored, which is not free. Otherwise Iā€™d back your proposal up. :slight_smile:

Yes, I hope they do that regardless. Thatā€™s one of the ways PoE gets funded. Of course itā€™s quite expensive since the game is free, something like 20$ for 6 tabs.

Iā€™m more than OK with 13 tabs anyway. I just donā€™t think itā€™s that easty to store much more data into servers, though I have to admit I donā€™t know if online storage costs have significantly decreased since 2012-16.

One thing that could be done is to have the stash/storage on a server different than the one hosting the game. It is only ā€œcalledā€ when the stash is accessed and saved every time it is closed.

That does have some possible issues with trans-server communication. I can hear the moans now of ā€œI opened my box and it was all gone!!! Restore it!!! REFUND!ā€ to which, naturally, the response is ā€œtry it again - it never actually opened, so it wonā€™t save as empty.ā€

Or whatever. Iā€™m sure there are options to reduce the direct load on the game server.

i think we had a server problem in elder scrolls online where we had to unequip all of our charactersā€™ inventories to relieve the servers because everything would be loaded when you connect to the servers