[D4] How would you like the stash to work?

I created this thread because the subject was being discussed within a D2R thread.

Which would you prefer for D4.

1. All personal stash.
  2. All shard stash.
  3. Part personal part shared.
  4. Something else.

Do you like the new inventory layout for D4 with separate sections?

1. I have OCD so I like the separate format it looks easy to manage.
  2. I want everything to be an unorganized mess in one section (I never cleaned my room).
  3. I am a speed racer I do not stop to look at anything so I do not care.
  4. Something else.
2 Likes

I’d prefer part personal, and part shared when it comes to Diablo 4 stash space, as for inventory, I like how Diablo 4 looks thus far, so I don’t have any complaint in that regards.

1 Like

256 items for each character; 1280 item slots for shared.

Both have “tabs” that can be renamed to user preference but none are locked into what type of item can go there - that is, I want to name a tab “Bouncy Bunny Armor” and stick amulets in it, I can.

I prefer the shared stash with a personal backpack/inventory. Shared stash means I don’t have to mule items and jump games to move items from character to character, as you had to do in old school D2. This is a needed QoL change that D3 got right.

I’m not sure exactly what “new layout” was proposed for D4 to which you’re referring, so I can’t comment on what I haven’t seen. In general, I like things organized and sorted because it makes things easier to find and would prefer a system that respects this.

1 Like

i think there is no point in separating your stash into a personal and a shared section
so i think everything should be shared

the new inventory is not my thing but depending on how much crafting and questing will play a role in the game i would understand the necessity

2 Likes

I’ll go with this. All shared, is a mess to separate when you play multiple characters and all personal simply makes the use of mule characters a mandatory more than a need.

I still think items should take varying amount of squares in character inventory (3x2, 2x2, 1x4…) while they perfectly fit only 1-2 squares at most per item for our stash tabs. This might greatly impact what you carry on your character and make room for a slower, throughly filtered choice when carrying items to your stash.
No, stop thinking with Diablo 3; you won’t smelt tons of trash item for crafting material to create a perfect piece in a jackpot machine. So the varying length and width of the item you carry don’t matter at all unless you intend to use it. No, stop thinking with Diablo 2, too; charms are not confirmed either. Also only PvP builds in D2 supposed to fill their inventory to the brim.
If any of them apply, developers will act accordingly anyway. Just as a reminder that we are talking about Diablo 4, your favorite game has no impact on the opinion.

Separate sections for what? Runes? Jewels? Gems? None of it confirmed. Yet, I don’t mind as one personal tab, given large enough, will be able to hold things just fine.

(Taken from last year’s December Quarterly Update):

The inventory has tabs that separates items between Equipment (such as gear, jewelries, potions, and possibly gems), Quest (Likely items that are necessary for progressing through a Quest, for example the Scroll of Inifuss in Diablo 2), Materials (likely crafting materials and such), and Mounts.

2 Likes

I think I actually prefer all stash tabs to be shared. I wouldn’t mind having them split at the least though.

I personally like the idea of having inventory tabs. I also see how it could be super annoying. It might be nice to have a button to open a specific bag though kinda like an MMO, that way you don’t have to perform two actions to get to your specific tag.

I know this wasn’t in the questions but this got me thinking. What I’m not too sure of is those specialized tabs for specific items (like in POE). They would be nice but I also don’t see Blizzard giving those out for free either. I think they would deliver them in the form of microtransactions. But if they weren’t, it might actually be kinda cool to have a sorted stash tab for gems, one for a specific type of consumables, etc.

The separate sections is for the inventory. :point_left: Which is not the same as stash space. See the photo above from Oblivion. I had two questions, one was for stash space and the other was for the inventory. At this point we do not know anything about the stash but they did show us the inventory that has 4 sections.

Maybe the stash space will be a much larger version of the inventory space with 4 different sections.

1. Equipment
  2. Quest Items
  3. Crafting Materials
  4. Mount Items.
  • More and bigger stash tabs.

• Doesn’t mind personal stash or stash for everything. Both ways work for me.

• Have the ability to rename the tab (for e,g, Tab 1 - Gear for Sorc", Tab 2 - “Legendaries”, Tab - Good rare items, and so on),

• Love the crafting mats, key item, gems, runes have their own dedicated stash without affecting the main stash and inventory of your characters.

• Hope that mount has their own storage so you can put some items on them when hunting at the world maps.

1 Like

Looks like it may include any customization items you can use to alter your mount but it’s probably just a mount tab for all the ones collected similar to WoW. Just this one is on your inventory screen.

Stash should be near infinite. That’s what matters.
I’m fed up with throwing away stuff that is useful, or that has memories attached.
And better size helps for better organization too.

Mini stash in a gear based game = no buy.
Had a good lough at D2R where inventory is crammed with crap and you can’t ever pick up more than 1 item.

All shared unless hardcore *etc
Extra tabs are unlockable via achievements (not buying them with cash)
A seperate inventory for totems that you can expand via quests

all personal. it doesnt make sense for a stash to be shared.

Everyone gets a basic of a few tabs. Then i hate to say it but ability to buy as many as you want. It’s the best thing to sell for money to fund further development/constant updates.

All of them shared.
Specialized tabs (crafting mats, runes, currency or anything that could clog up inventory space)

Then how are you going to transfer the items you found to your alt character without bothering someone?

1 Like

More like the best thing to sell for money for more profit and bigger bonuses for themselves

They are not going to do further development/constant updates if there isn’t more money for them in the end

In a Utopian world this might work but in the real world where money is king not a chance

And realistically with the WoW cash cow they have enough money to do updates and development for every one of their titles and does not need to be segregated into specific games can only use the funds made from that particular title

If you only play one character, you only need one stash. But if you play two or more characters, now you have separate characters that you control. What you find on one, you might want to trade to another to use. In D2, you have to open a game, get someone to hold that item (if you trust them) or at least hold the game open, then switch characters, rejoin the game and collect the item on your other character. That’s a lot of hoops to jump through, and they’re unnecessary.

Ultimately, it’s the same player who earned the gear, so it makes perfect sense that the gear is allocated to the player and the stash is set up to make trading between your own characters simple. This is a QoL change that makes perfect sense and is greatly appreciated by people like me who play multiple characters so we can experience the different classes in the game, and it’s definitely one that should stay.

Thanks for posting this. I had seen it, but didn’t realize this was what the OP was referring to. I very much like this plan.

It makes crafting materials less of a chore to manage by putting them in their own section of the inventory. I’m assuming the mounts will be a full screen of not only multiple mounts you may find, but also different accessories you can equip on each. Having it’s own screen to manage those options makes perfect sense. And of course, putting the quest items separately from your regular inventory is always a nice QoL change so you never have to worry about dropping something you really want to carry the obligatory quest item. It also allows quest items to be carried for a long time by the player before they’re needed, for example on a long, multi-stage quest.

I think there’s some room for debate with the way they’re showing the items, such that each thing takes up one space. The idea that a polearm takes the same space as a scroll strains credulity, but I understand the the reason to do this is to simplify the inventory management process and avoid forcing players to play backpack Tetris or feel so constrained that they can’t pick up items while they’re out killing things. I’ve run into games where you are so constrained by inventory that you often leave items you actually might want on the ground because it just takes too much time constantly breaking the flow of the game to go back to town, sell stuff, craft, or whatever… It’s not fun. D3 did a good job of keeping you in the game killing and keeping the town runs to a reasonable level. This sort of inventory system supports that and it’s a good thing.

I’m very tidy which is why I have no problem having big items to take several slots so they don’t feel as small as rings. It’s actually messy people that want the game to clean stuff in their place. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the stash, all shared seems like a given. Maybe just one personnal page out of ten to reinforce immersion when making a new character, but D3 system is about perfect to me.

The one thing that keeps driving me nuts is trying to inspect a character I have, and not being able to see all of the follower gear. I often stash gear on unused followers, and while in game have to load each character to find specific follower gear. I think that’s my biggest request regarding inventory management.

2 Likes