[D4] How important is PvP to you?

I think pvp is important enough to be its own server type so you can balance it properly.

1 Like

I believe what Lost Ark did was a different effect/Scaling of skills/damage between PvE & PvP.

This make it so they do not have to tune down skills for PvE to balance for PvP. Its extra work for sure, but it can be done. Lost Ark proves it.

With size of Blizzard, there is no reason why it cannot be achieved.

2 Likes

why not to have pvp and pve servers like WOW

1 Like

WoW got rid of those. Now you can switch between PvE and PvP enabled world in main cities. Much better imo. But yeah, D4 could easily do that as well.

1 Like

Itā€™s. PvP only zone, you step in youā€™re fair game.

I think itā€™s good as is, trouble ahead can be if a team of four people wait to jump on one player, and let one of the team take the price. I hope I am wrong, time will tell.

1 Like

When did they get rid of PvP and PvE servers? Mind you I havenā€™t subbed since the end of Legionā€¦ and was unaware of that change

If I remember correctly, Blizzard stated that pvp in Diablo 4 wasnā€™t meant to be fair. So the scenario you described can certainly happen. I know it will happen to me a lot. I remember in Diablo 2, where folks would come into duel rooms partied just to attack everyone on sight.

1 Like

I am not a fan of against each other and competition, but of coop.
PvP agitates me and doesnā€™t satisfy me. I also donā€™t enjoy defeating others because I know the feeling of losing and donā€™t like it.

My interest in PvP is about 0%-5%.

In D2 Classic, before D2 LOD, I was in a guild. And there was a day of the week or sometimes spontaneously in an extra game a team PvP carried out after points. There was 1vs1 against the other team or 2vs2, rarely a 4vs4.

I was barbarian and it was also a little fun, because it was not about maliciousness, but just a little fun with a little try to somehow catch his fear opponents. As always, some classes were mercilessly OP like the Sorc with teleport etc. But it was ok.

But out in the world I didnā€™t like people attacking me. I once got killed in hardcore mode by a hydra sorc at level 56. that wasnā€™t so funnyā€¦ The player used the trick of switching me from Hydras, quickly ported to town and turned on PvPā€¦ The hydras attacked me and I had no chanceā€¦ The player was also far higherā€¦ Something like that just does not belong in PvE game. So days of careful play in hardcore mode were for the dustbinā€¦ I was frustrated and just logged out that day.

In BFA after Legion.

Explains why I was unaware of the change. Have not subbed since Legionā€™s end, and giving the direction of the game, have ZERO plans to ever again. More than happy to have my needed WoW fix satiated occasionally on the WoTLK private server I play on.

Even though I know they plan to release a Classic version of WoTLK, I will still not return, after the mess that was Vanilla Classic, and even worse what was done with Burning Crusadeā€¦ I have zero faith that it will resemble the original experience to any degree.

Known for years. Diablo is not PVP game and never been. PVP was just a fun mode for tired nerds back in 2000ies who spent too much time in D2 and didnā€™t now what else to do. For some reason this minority was a very vocal one so Dia devs picked that theme up in D4. But no matter what they ll do with it in D4, it will fail, just because it is alien to the genre.

3 Likes

Iā€™d argue that is popularity in D2 was more about griefing others, since you couldnā€™t toggle on/off.

Saw many regular PvP games as well, but far too many people griefing others doing the various leveling/gearing runs.

4 Likes

Not very important, but I like it. LLDs and Hardcore Ironman is basically the only reason for me to play non-singleplayer Diablo 2.

But theyā€™re just a ā€œ4funā€ thing. I donā€™t care for ranked arenas or anything of the sort.

I donā€™t mind if thereā€™s PvP in a mainly PvE game, I only have problem whit the PvP community. Specialy in D2. Those guys are delusional, thinking PvP is the ultimate goal of the game. And now whit 2.4 balace comeing to D2R, they cry and rage, that the changes brake PvP. They should be aware that PvP is always going to be secondary to PvE, and stop gatekeeping on skill balance changes, just because it effeckts PvP in a bad way.
While I donā€™t like to :poop: on other people fun, they should know their place. Iā€™m going to be very unpopular whit this statement, but I donā€™t care. Let there be PvP, but the fans of it should not have a voice when it comes to blanace changes, and realise ther game mode is secondary, and deal whit it.

6 Likes

PvP having a balance without deep developer interference with detailed systems usually depend on power scale not being broken. PvP existing withinā€™ the game without any separate systems will give the progress a lower ceiling thus end game content having a dynamic environment and not self repeating.
If power progress breaks a few scales where players can output quadrillions of damage, then some separate systems for matchmaking has to be embed into the game.

PvP is just there for fun and create a dynamic environment where gameplay always had to remind you that threats can be around the corner and they can not be easily fooled. If you think PvP scheme doesnā€™t fit in an ARPG then youā€™re taking it more serious than you should be.
PvP in ARPG will never be a competitive scene for several reasons, and game having more dice rolls than player control and decision is only one of them. PvP has a place in MMORPGs for creating an everchanging output with each gameplay and thatā€™s it. Why worry about something that never be competitive?

It will be one of the pushing motions of trade and people will use any way of acquiring gear to adorn their characters better and faster. If you think of selling something for profit in the game you should be happy that theyā€™re adding it. Even when you ainā€™t gonna buy anything, PvP will add some circulation on the market on top of PvE gameplay. You might believe in SSF and thatā€™s fine.

By map design, PvP combat zones would either be an alternative path to somewhere, skipped entirely by waypoints or simple dead ends where you never need to go unless you seek rewards that PvP offer withinā€™ ritual stones. No one will go amok from the start to slaughter everyone in the map.

1 Like

Zero interest given all the variables at play. Doubly so knowing whatever resources thatā€™d go into ā€œmaking it workā€ couldā€™ve gone toward enriching the PvE experience I am interested in.

3 Likes

Ok, then zero interest to participate. Because it will happen.

Oh dear lord the drama on any sort of forum. Laughing already.

Only a slight interest personally.

Iā€™d only dabble in the occasional duel or bored arena, one thing i DONā€™T want however is for PvP to affect PvE tuning and vice versa.

I wouldnā€™t mind a couple zones in the game that were EXTREMELY treasure rich & PvP enabled.

Same people who decided that Diablo is antithetical to PvP in perpetuity (did they really? or referred only to D3?) are those who thought RMAH was a fine idea. Calling for D3 to be used as a barometer is asking for another RMAH, what D3 was conceived upon. Most or all of D3ā€™s improvements over D2 are technical to improve playability, and since these improvements are par-for-the-course we can do better than ā€œD3 sans AHā€ like make something actually reminiscent of a CRPG.

The appeal of CRPGā€™s to those who donā€™t know is that they are among the most dynamic/interactive types of game to exist. Diablo added a twist by ultra-distilling everything entirely into combat. So something like fishing has less of a place than PvP.

What would Pokemon be without PvP?

Anyway, the statement was just a cover (ultimately at Diabloā€™s expense) to explain why PvP didnā€™t materialize. ā€œItā€™s the gameā€™s faultā€. Nay, speak for D3 not all of the series.

And I doubt that whoever is paying mind to PvP isnā€™t counting the days until they can get back to doing PvE. For all we know, their heart is in PvP and thatā€™s where they can do their best work.