[D4] How armor should be(mechanic and visual wise)

Honestly, they look way better than D3. Apparently only the size is exaggerated. Druid looks more like a Celtic Druid than a WoW Druid. Only the legendary armor looks too much “carnivalesque”

Zrtzst

The problem with your idea is the same with %damage reduction. Hegemonizes combats/spells. Reduction should be flat value. Absorb the same percentage of damage, doesn’t matter if is a kitchen knife or a warhammer, a 9mm hollow point or a 14.5x114mm API, a fire bolt or a mini sun, etc is silly IMO.

I understand your point Victor,
I am a big DAoC player, and in DAoC what you advocate exist. Each armor type has resistance and vulnerability (physical and magical) to certain weapon type, arrow type, element.

In DAoC, a Plate armor is:

• Vulnerable to Crush, Cold and Energy Damage
  • Resistant to Thrust, Heat and Matter Damage
  • Neutral to Slash damage

Arrows can be selected crush/slash/thrust damage.
All armor in DAoC on top of hacing Absorb % and Armor Factor have these resistances and vulnerabilities.

This system is great for the mentality: Easy to Learn, Difficult to Master.
It is in my opinion a superior system, because I like to do what is called “Paper DAoC”, which is mastering the designing of your character on paper: the planning part. Lots of math and min-maxing.

Although, some people might find that putting in too much details will make the game less appealing to casuals.

I think that the system I presented is both simple and difficult enough for a Action-COORPG, it’s not a relaxed MMORPG, in which you have time to think about your gear.

All i got to say is…
Stay away from Warcraft style armor.
Revert back to Diablo1 and 2 style.
Some of the D3 stuff is alrite.

Plate armor weak to slash. What??

About min maxing, if the difference of a mid tier build and a top tier build is like 20% not 500000%(D3), casuals and people with RP builds can do well. A example on DS2. Here is a Portugas D Ace(One Piece) pure roleplay pyro build using only pyro flames and daggers. No armor(except the hat) and despite not using armor, nor the magical armor who boosts pyromancies or casting speed, he is doing well

A pure TryHard build will probably be better and win more? Sure, but he can have fun with his RP build. Some os his opponents are using magically enchanted DEX weapons who are considered the best in game weapon and he is doing fine…