[D4] How armor should be(mechanic and visual wise)

I think the Druid is their pride and joy this time so perhaps spent a lil extra time on him lol
I love the Sorceress black and gold armor. It may not be super realistic but its just a game and people like to wear cool stuff! Im glad there seems to be none of that weird pointy/spikey helmets and shoulder pads of D3.

I like them too. My point is that if the other 2 had a chest armor similar to the one of the middle, they would look very cool too and at the same time would look like a more realistic protection.

Check:

Without a chest armor those mages would be :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Not necessarily realistic. But there are a HUGE difference between have a fantasy armor/weapon design and having a carnival suit design imagine that you are watching Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor is 5m long, 2m wide, with 6 crossguards, spikes on on the handle, wings on the blade and on the handle, holes everywere, etc…

See how immortal king set looks on D2

A game who IMO has amazing armor design

I wish to see him repeating the test with bodkin arrows who are better VS armor.

2 Likes

You are a good idea person.
This D4 dev team needs good idea persons on the pay role.
This D4 dev team really needs good idea persons on the pay role.
I hope they at least listen to and implement the said from good idea persons who are not on the pay role.

the good thing is i’m sure you’ll be able to transmog everything so you can mix and match the armor pieces.
and of course the Sorceress be dead in an instant without a breastplate but tis a game and takes a bit to kill your hero! :hugs:

1 Like

if only they kept with the original style of Diablo this would be perfect!
i would say looks boring to me though but everyone has different tastes! :hugs:
we only got a tiny taste of what is to come and hopefully Blizz sees this and takes some of your points into consideration!

i agree with you. 20 years ago they had such limitations and could only do so much so there’s no telling what Diablo could have been with todays graphics. Perhaps it would look something similar to OP’s suggestions but we will never truly know.
I’m happy with unique the D4 classes are looking and excited to see the final product! :hugs:

i think, sacred 1 items look great
it was released in 2004

For a person that likes to scream, We need more choices, it seems awfully stupid to now want to cut those choices down to 1 armour piece, like D2 and remove at least pants and shoulder pieces because you are too lazy to transmog the pieces into a suit

The problem with this is if you don’t have the right pants it still isn’t going to look right
So what are you complaining about, or is it just complaining for the sake of complaining and can’t see the that the not having the correct pants you are still going to look stupid like you claim you do in D3

IMO they will look more akin to other games with dark gothic medieval artstyle. Just like D2/D1 looks more akin to other 2000s RPG’s.

If you look to Diablo 1 + Hellfire page on GoG, they recommend a lot of games on “You may like these products” tab. From Gothic 1(2001), NWN2(2008) to Witcher 3(2015) (i don’t know if the adds are personalized), all of then have a similar armor design… And W3 in particular has amazing graphics, is more about style than graphic quality…

For me, have choices is great. To have many types of armor and even more looks. But i think an armor needs to offer protection: the most important ones are head and then the chest. The rest is more optional but armors should go from less protection to more protection.

That was a great game, i think Sacred was the first open world game i played.

Its also the only open world arpg in this style
Now, 15 years later, blizzard is trying xD

1 Like

You also can have kind of a combi system of these two.

Let’s say you have 4 different types of armor:

• Cloth
  • Leather
  • Chain Mail
  • Plate

Now each of these Armor Types has one or more additional type specific secondary bonuses:

• Cloth Armor also gives Energy Shied
  • Leather Armor also gives Dodge Chance
  • Chain Mail also gives additional Armor Rating
  • Plate Armor also gives additional Armor Rating and flat physical damage reduction, but also slow down your movement speed to compensate.

Now, Armor Rating can simply reduces your damage taken by a percentage, but since the secondary bonuses would give each kind of armor its own flair and the heavy Plate Armor could have flat physical damage reduction as a secondary it still would fulfill this idea that heavy plate armor helps to protect better against things like swords or daggers, but less against heavy hitting things like hammers.

2 Likes

I agree that could have 2 parts:

• We can take armor (defense) as - damage. Now your armor (item) can reduce a % damage of your defense + the damage above the defense value.

Example: if have 100 defense and 90% damge reduction and the attack would deal 100 damage, then you would suffer 10 damage, but if the damage was 110 then you would suffer 20.

• Also, it could be good if we had different kinds damage reduction depending on the type of damage (piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, elements, blasts, etc). This would make it easier to have different armors that are better against different things.

Plate can be very good against piercing and slashing but not so good against bludgeoning and lightning. A Gamberson could be good against slashing and cold but bad against piercing and fire.

1 Like

This is how wizards should look like
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cc/9a/65/cc9a65ad65c1d01fce79c64ab6412ca1.jpg
source: The flight of Dragons :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think that childrens cartoons are a good inspiration for a Diablo game. Other games, movies and entertainment who deals with “dark gothic” design in other hands…

Good suggestion

Helms - this is smth I don’t like those D4 sorc legendary armor concepts. Why do they cover the whole face? Same sht I saw in D3 with some sorc’s helms. Then again, transmog confirmed, and I’ll transmog everything to be as realistic as possible (as I do in D3 now).

As for mechanics. I love D1 armor system. That is - you can move unhindered through enemies ONLY if you have enough armor. Otherwise - any hit will force you to play hit recovery animation. At the same time armor should reduce some damage taken, but perhaps all hits should deal some loss of HP no matter what your armors is. I think combining these two systems this will be ideal.

So far in D4 demo there was no armor system and no hit recovery. You could walk naked through hordes of demons with no problem.

AS someone who did naked runs of D2 and beyond naked runs on D1, i can say. Souls and the dolls are a pain in the ****, since dolls can stunlock you to death without +FHR and souls can one shot you without big lightning resistance.

That is how armor should matters. Not matters because i need this boots who increase my IQ by 654376363 points or my muscle mass by 5743252 points to with the rest of set, buffing my axe damage by 65437366552561 points who also boosts my unarmed, projectile, minion and magical damage…

As for helms, IMO would be cool if your char uses open helms on cities but 'close helm" in battles. A small detail that i think that would be cool.

1 Like

I agree. Character shouldn’t look like transformer, but considering how monsters look like (fallen shaman with a 2 meter axe), I highly doubt they even consider more realistic approach. Even animations are wrong if you think about it.

2 Likes

L0rdV1ct0r: I don’t think that childrens cartoons are a good inspiration for a Diablo game. Other games, movies and entertainment who deals with “dark gothic” design in other hands…

yup…

youtube. com/watch?v=a3J91bPrW9A