[D4 Concept] The Heretic

So the name wasn’t my idea but it kinda fits here, coming from the Rhykker stream, the guys got me inspired to design that class.

The core concept is the (un)balance between light and dark/angelic demonic, reusing these terms at least in a class

The Heretic is a very knowledgable, older person, a former scholer of the light, losing faith in heaven and deciding to use all the magic that gives you power in this world (getting the star wars vibes? :v)

The Heretic would be a summoner class, being able to call both demonic and angelic spirits/creatures (the lore question here is if anyone is even able to sommon something “angelic” in sanctuary or if heaven is totally exclusive, which it feels like. So let it be spirits if that’s not possible)

The class system will use this thematic and influence the Heretic in combat, depending on which skills you are using over the course of the battle.

Let my try to think of some skills

Angelic

Holy warrior: Summons an angelic warrior to assist you in battle.

Cleansing light: Purifies an area around you, restoring HP and removing negative effects. Except for demons.

Holy weapons: Empowers the weapons of all allies, adding holy damage to their attacks. Except for demons.

Demonic

Hell on earth: Calls a group of demons from hell, supporting you in battle.

Terror: Lets nearby enemies flee in despair, increasing the damage done to them by your demons.

Hellfire: Your summoned demons deal additional fire damage.

So, while you are using skills in battle, the spirits of heaven or hell will influence you, pulling you to towards the light or the dark. These buffs also decline when not using skills in a while. There is a maximum of overall stacks that will fill while you are using angelic or demonic skills, granting you more powerful, passive boni. (It’s hard to say in which pace you are gaining stacks since some “builders” are just way to spamable to balance this system per spell cast)

Let’s say max. 5 stacks.

Angelic
1: Gain an aura that slowly heals you and your nearby allies, except demons.
2: All angelic allies have increased attack and defense.
5: Nearby enemies are blinded and damaged by holy light.

Demonic
1: Increases your movement speed and evasion.
2: Your attacks deal additional dark (shadow?) damage.
5: Your summoned demons strengthen eachother, gaining more damage the more you are controlling.

dunno if demons and angels would fight eachother when you have both summoned but it would be fun to watch XDDDD

2 Likes

I like the heretic idea. I don’t like the same classes being revisited in D4. It’s boring! What do you think about this idea? D4 Idea for Demonic/Angelic/Ancestral Power and Skills

well i think the problem is that they kinda sorted out the idea of ADA from the game as a global thing. So if it would come back, probably just in a class.
Or maybe as an endgame system. Who knows^^

I think the sorting of skills and attributes into their respective worlds and then allowing nephalem to use a combination of both would make things more interesting