D4 classes - confirmed, speculated & community wish list

So it’s like a cannibal in an armor plate :thinking:. Personally I’d get rid of the “armor” part and have a Necro/Assassin mix type class like a (pagan style) Oracle :slight_smile:

Quite like the Nomad though, something like a Desert swordsman with animals & stuff, but problem is the Druid is already in game and he has those kinds of pets…

1 Like

As for Nomad, you are absolutely right. Therefore, Nomad’s ghosts should be humanoid, somewhat reminiscent of the Crusader phalanx. These spirits can visually represent light (in flavor: Valkyrie summons the spirit of fallen soldiers), or darkness (in flavor: Blood Raven summons the spirit of fallen sisters). The idea was due to the need to have a mobile barrier between the archer and his enemies.

I really like warrior characters whose fighting style can be described with the words deftly, skilful, clever, quick and dapper. That’s why I like the ideas Warmaster, Oracle and Ninja.

I will explain where this idea came from.
Many people want the return of Paladin, Necromancer, Amazon and Assassin. How to make two out of four classes. A common suggestion is to combine Amazon with Assassin and Paladin with Necromancer.
I like these mergers. But the mix of Paladin and Necromancer is a summoner in melee, and a druid plays a similar role.
And we lack a summoner from a distance, which is why I thought it would be a good solution to combine the Amazon with the Necromancer and the Paladin with Assassin.
Of course, any combination is good for me.

No matter what classes are added, I hope the skills are well done… that’s very important. In D3, some of them felt almost comical, and others didn’t work well with what weapons you had visually, things like that. On a hopeful note, from what I’ve seen of D4 gameplay so far it does look like they might be trying to improve on that in D4.

As a second idea… Blizzard really goes a long way to make sure their characters are unique and have interesting backstories too. I think some class-specific questlines that are unique to their respective classes to explore that backstory and/or unlock some skill/ability might be kind of cool to see in an open world game like D4. Especially since they are planning character packs as DLC, it would feel more like you are at least purchasing some relevant and interesting content if those quest lines are well done… which might incentivize people to pick up character packs that they would otherwise skip out on. I’m not interested in the Necromancer much, for example, but man… if there were a class questline to explore some chamber of bones and do some cool stuff there, perhaps with a unique encounter, that would be really neat. I’d probably pick that up to try it out then.

1 Like

Personally, I think it would be best if the remaining two classes are the leaked Hunter, and Monk (or any martial arts based character, I’ll just call it Monk for simplicity sake).

If you take a look at the three revealed classes, you’ll notice that all 3 of them have a certain pagan/primordial/tribal/savage feel to them.
While that may be obvious for Barbarian (STR melee) and Druid (STR/INT mix), you can notice it even with Sorceress (INT ranged) since she looks more like some sort of shaman or a witch that lives in a cabin in the forest than someone with her title would typically look.
Hunter fits that perfectly from both thematic and mechanic points of view (a DEX ranged class that fills a rather major archetype).

As for Monk (DEX/INT melee), I think he also fills the important gap just like Hunter does with martial arts being a rather neat archetype present in almost all Diablo games (technically all if you count Hellfire) and can fill that mentioned theme other classes have by Blizzard basing him on the ‘sage living on a mountain’ type of martial artist (I guess you can take Udyr from League of Legends to help you visualize it, or heck, even Oro from Street Fighter).

So with the two mentioned you’d end up with:

• Barbarian (STR melee)
  • Sorceress (INT ranged)
  • Druid (STR/INT mix)
  • Hunter (DEX ranged)
  • Monk (DEX/INT melee)

Giving us a rather balanced roster of classes on release, which is important so you have the least amount of players left out.

As for Necromancer and Paladin, I’d leave them out for a Gothic themed expansion since they both don’t fit the theme of the revealed classes and we already have enough casters and brute force fighters in that roster too.
And then after that I’d focus on making completely new classes (though I wouldn’t mind if they sneak Witch Doctor in since, even though I can’t be called a fan of his exactly, he still does contribute with a unique flavor to the IP).

Also, I used the attributes for purely descriptive purposes (like martial arts classes like Monk are usually tied to DEX attribute if present, while the INT is there to point out that in case of D4 he still may have some caster-like abilities in form of ki/spirit/whatever manipulation and such) and am not implying that they will have main attributes like in D3!

1 Like

I doubt the monk would be the 5th. Given the ranged class is a Hunter/ranger not some redefinition of amazon or rogue, the 5th would most likely be Necro given the state of the world and Rathma and is cult are back or Paladin, being the link necessary to connect back to heaven. The monk was not well received and can see that being added in an expansion.

If I had to put money on it I would say we get a new class in a hunter and a returning class in Necro or Paladin. I think it depends on the story.

1 Like

I liked all the confirmed ones, but I speculate and wish that the next classes are some of these:

Rogue, Amazon, Demon Hunter, and now Hunter all belong to the same archetype at their core (a swift ranged class) with their spin on the flavor.
And while I don’t mind Necromancer, I’d like to see some sources for Monk not being received well (iirc, people were generally against Witch Doctor since they feared he replaced Necromancer).
And like I said, I used the term ‘Monk’ just as a placeholder and example, while the point is that the 5th class could be a martial arts focused one (doesn’t matter if it is Monk, Assassin, Brawler, or something completely else).

Not to mention that Rathma’s involvement in D4 is still speculation!
And like I said we already have two classes that can fulfill the role of a brute and direct fighter in their own ways, so adding Paladin could be somewhat of an over-saturation of that archetype.

I know they are the same archetype, I was being specific

Um pretty sure some dev confirmed it on twitter with that prime evils resurrection pic tweet.

Always seemed like monks were next to last in terms of how many were being played. Could just be my assumption along with only me and my wife, out of the 20 some people we knew who played, liking the monk.

Adding the Paladin would be the Sword and board tanky fantasy, not the brute.

When I said brute, I meant that the class won’t be based on magic or finesse, but rather hitting enemies really hard until they refuse to move, which sword-and-shield exactly is, while martial artist is more about technique and swiftness.

It will be very unwise if Blizz not add Necromancers in D4 Vanilla from the start. What more thematic class for this dark gothic world of Sanctuary then the necromancer itself, plus they will enrage the players again if they don’t add the necro from the scratch. I hope they will not make this mistake again with the necro…

2 Likes

Paladin could easily be a sword and board tanky class based on magic.

All depends on the story. From what we got from Blizzcon sure. But we know next to nothing about it and they may not fit in.

Yes, but that playstyle is already present on Druid.

It is very important for Blizzard to have the original roster of classes be flexible so people have easier time picking up what they want.
Blizzard is in it deep atm and alienating a demographic is not that smart.
People who want a Paladin or a Necromancer can at least somewhat scratch their itch by playing one of the current 3 classes, while players who want a martial arts based class have nothing.

1 Like

The druid in no way, shape, or form(pun intended) meets the role of the sword and board magical melee tanky archetype.

He does gameplay-wise; Druid (at least as presented in D4) is a battlemage just like Paladin and Crusader were in past versions of the game.

Players who want a martial arts based class in a sword and sorcery fantasy usually have nothing. Or a Monk.

theres a monk in nearly every fantasy setting since dungeons and dragons and are usually overpowered.
The few games that dont have a monk use a ninja/assassin, or have that as well.

there will be a monk one way or another

What if a witch-doctor could fight in close quarters?
A character based on dexterity and intelligence.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlA6Gn

1 Like

TBH that looks more like a Shaka warrior than a WD, and my guess would be it kinda works more like an Amazon than a caster

I guess it comes down to abilities, regardless, kinda like the idea of Poison/Fire + Javelin/Spear fighting combined with what I’d guess could be either traps or spirits/curses tbh

B.T.W., you might name the class something different to avoid the “cringiness” from before, so you might wanna maybe name the class as “Wanderer” :smiley:

P.S., during the weekend will make an attempt at releasing some content myself also :slight_smile:

1 Like

The character was created from your idea to remove the armor from the “warrior” and give him the appearance of a cultist / oracle. A mix of necromancer and assassin.
Oracle is a mix of a necromancer and assassin, so a melee necromancer.
A Witch Doctor is like a pagan necromancer.
And maybe this is indeed a false assumption.
The voodoo theme comes down to very specific hero appearances. That’s why we need something more general, something like blood rituals and pagan magic. something that will increase the range of possible heroes’ appearances. And the voodoo theme is too similar to Druid’s magic.
Lithary also described the monk as a figure based on dexterity and intelligence. I think the character Cultist / Oracle suits this idea. I might even be tempted to say that all 3 visions of the characters are heading in a similar direction.
Unlike the barbarian, he has a “calm” fighting style. A cold personality, even stoic. Not using pure brute force to defeat opponents, but using tools or spells to gain an advantage over them.
To distinguish the character from the Druid, I would not equip him with any nature or elemental spells, in return this character could perform blood rituals, have pagan magic and pure spiritual energy (e.g. ki), and control his mind and opponents (e.g. mental skills, resistance to scare), which would suit the character’s character.
I imagine the scene where the oracle jumps on Khazra and cuts at the throat then says - and now you will fight for me. At this point, Khazra does not fall, but charges at his kin.

1 Like