D4 Brainstorming Ideas to best ulitised open world/day/night/weather

haha …yes… something all players feel the need to enter perma death areas because of rewards, but is more or less optional… xD

3 Likes

I think that the waypoints should be rare, maybe in main towns, and places related to the main story, but not many more.

1 Like

You can’t really get a sense of adventure or exploration, with a gps an a huge mini map.

Get rid of those first.

3 Likes

A whole bunch of hidden things and with hidden I mean that they don’t glow like objectives like in D3, they’re not mentioned anywhere in the game guide and you basically have to stumble upon them.
If the weather is right like in a lightning storm you catch a glimpse of something, a door on a mountain side, some are only visible during the day/night (in-game) or even a certain moon-phase. Get creative, but give us different things to puzzle out, to accomplish instead of an unending number of Greater Rifts.

Yes plant the seed, we/they dont have a monopoly on Ideas some will be great others not so much, but if we keep putting them out there there is a chance that some may evolve in to a game changer that we can all enjoy.

5 Likes

Yes, don’t point obvious markers om map, but maybe have in hints, say sume runes writtten on stones. where 3 of these stone line merge, is the location of a waypoint.

Or you can get hint from writing on walls or NPC that give you general location but not the exact ones.

Would be cool if crafting recipes are hidden & to be found on walls, ancicent scrolls or behind stones & mix their locations up every season.

And somewhere to keep track of all that stuff.
I have already posted about the Tomes of Deckard Cain.

I could not get the link option to work.

Waypoint doesn’t need to be plentiful as we have mounts.

But then have the game save & reload at where you left of instead of waypoint as progression.

Nox (a game that came out around the same time as D2) did this great many years ago. I think today they can do great things if they want to.

One trick that game did is that many objects (rocks, barrels, tables, walls, among other things) could move and/or break. This add a lot of posibilities to explore the game and have hidden things but also can be used in tactical ways to slow down enemies (and players in pvp).

They can, for example, have doors that opens under specific conditions. Can be times of the year, weather, objects we need to use: some of those could be runewords or combinations of different objects that don’t make any sence. They can add clues with some books and scrolls we can find (this was suggested by someone before).

1 Like

I’m really liking all the suggestions in this thread. I’ve always been someone who explores the whole map before I move on to the next area, it’d be super cool to be able to get something rewarding from that other than the satisfaction of clearing a map.

2 Likes

This all sounds great in theory but in the actual gameplay becomes extremely annoying - when you don’t know where to go, everything looks same, etc. There are options not to use maps in such games, or even only marks on the maps (Witcher 3) - but in the end nobody uses this feature, because gameplay becomes a boring routine distracting you from main gameplay and forcing you to “play navigation exercises”.

1 Like

Monsters that only appear under certain conditions
Some Examples
Bats & Vampires only come out at night
werewolves Uniques only came out at full moon (maybe once a few days on real-time depends on how long a full day is in D4), you have to discovered & track them via marks on their victim (ala witcher 3)
Drownings only came out during raining near water bodies

Thats a good idea. And ofc certain loot should drop (or at least have much better chances to drop) from certain enemies. Again, Diablo is a loothunt game.

To all that I’d also add certain dungeons which appear (or are possible to enter) only at night / day. Or even during certain weather type.

Areas of Influences that move (like wind) over course of the season.
These areas are like influence in PoE, but instead on the Atlas map, its in-game world.
Areas in which these influences are covered have special monsters or effects/buff/debuff.

Yes I wrote about that already. Strategic elements on Global Map. This feature works great in POE and must be developed further in ARPG genre. D4 has a GREAT opportunity to do that, taking into account that big open world.

2 Likes

They should just take the concept of bounties in D3 and go ham with it across the world map in D4. I thought bounties were pretty neat but the limited usefulness of them was meh against GRs because they were mostly used (at least by me) to make sure I had enough mats for legendary extraction or whatever other mundane recipes you needed those mats for. Once you got the one legendary that was useful (Ring of Royal Grandeur) I almost never ran them again except when low on mats.

Examples I can think of quickly:

• Rolling weather effects change monster layouts in areas
  • Key monsters spawn/despawn randomly with a timer, offering quests (but a particular monster always offers the same quest)
  • Killing a particular boss or number of monsters in a zone has a chance to spawn a particular quest NPC

These things should drop either particular uniques (yes plz bring back uniques with low or no randomization) or at the very least drop something deterministic (more gold, crafting mats, particular gems, runes, etc.).

2 Likes

I think as far as bounty in D3. The issues i have are:

Took way too long to do all 25 especially solo. Most of the legs in bounty boxes are rubbish.

InD4,Make bounties given by NPC all over the world , with partial fix & random rewards, & you decide which to do. The more complex and harder the bounty, the bigger the rewards.

Yes, it would be nice to have more individual bounties and not something that takes so long like in D3 that makes you cross fingers to don’t get a dc…

Just saw this youtube video about how to best guide players along in an open world and because the story and world building is such an important part of a Diablo game for me and because I agree with the video, I’m posting it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-as8kVASgXw

2 Likes

I love the idea of the exploring and different creatures or things happen at different times of the day. Like someone said, maybe in a lightning storm as your travelling, lighting strikes and where it hits there would now be a special crafting material or something. I have a couple other ideas as well. These are only a few, sorry if im long winded.

Camp Fire for resting for perks/bonus’s

This is a throwback to older style RPG’s like Golden Axe and many more. Camping, where when we are on an adventure, we can set up camp, rest for a while, the camera can pan down into the camp area where our party relaxes. It will heal us, give us a buff temporarily, and perhaps reset some skills or respawn creature when you break camp. I know, this is an ARPG, it doesn’t sound like it would fit, but for role-players and if mechanics are done right or we can think of other uses, it could be a cool added feature. I’ve always loved camping in a game, like Final Fantasy 15 or Dragon Age, even Golden Axe back in the day. We cook and it shows our characters and makes for cool screenshots. Also, it would be a good way to introduce some cool special events, like monsters coming into your camp and taking your stuff or a dream state that may start a new questline. Food for thought is all this is.

Additionally, it would give us a resting point and maybe a wondering vendor may come through to offer special items. I also know this is a shared world with night day cycle, but if you place or set up a camp, i would suggest we go into our own instanced camp area, so it doesn’t effect or worry about what time of day or night it is in the real world.

Player housing

This one is more of a Wishlist shot in the dark, but player housing. I’ve always loved playing games that can immerse me and give me a sense of ownership, something I can come back to and call my own. I played Ultima Online WAY back in the day and I had several houses and I could do whatever I wanted in those, post a vendor to sell my wares, store stuff, etc. I always wished WoW would have added it, but when I played it, that never came. With this game being open world now, it would be cool to have a little area dedicated to player housing, even if it’s an instanced area to go to see your own neck of the woods, a place you can invite your friends in and decorate a little bit with your own style. Or even go the route of something like AC Valhalla and give us a plot to create a small town, where we place our Blacksmith, Inn, healer, etc. Again, another idea that is a throwback to classic games and some newer like Monster Hunter and even Torchlight 3.

Camera and Character

This was my other idea to see our character that we create more, whenever we speak to an NPC in the game, since we will be standing fairly static while listening to dialog or looking through a vendor’s wares, why not Zoom and pan the camera down into a close-up of our character engaging with that NPC. Once we get out of the shop or finish the conversation, zoom the camera back out. Also, would be cool if you add a photo mode, if you do, to allow us to zoom all the way into our character to take some cool pictures with the death and destruction all around us.

I have many other ideas, but these i feel our relevant to your topic now. Thanks for sharing. I am excited and been thinking about different things for a long time.

See you all in Hell!

1 Like

This, i really like this. It harkens back to the old days of games and even WoW Vanilla where you didn’t have quest markers or a line to follow. But you had to READ the quest text and see that you needed to go north til you come to the river, then go east to a cave and enter it for the quest item or to kill whatever Mobs. If you didn’t read, you’d be asking people where to go. So i’d really love to see some better exploring without the hand holding if we could.

2 Likes

the different beasts during different part of the day can be cool.
but i don´t know, at the same time i´m liking the situation i´m in with d3 of having fixed time of day for the duration of the session. though shuffling till you get it can be a tedious pain as is. my favourite is actually act 2 camp broad clear day in between the rifts. maybe there will an option for that. opting in and out, depending on game-types.

2 Likes

One thing that is hard to achieve in isometric games, to reach the heights of what a 3rd person game like Elden Ring can, is scale.

The scale of the landscape, buildings and bosses is one of the coolest things in Elden Ring, among many.

I would love to see giant castles represented properly by the camera panning away and you seeing the journey and size of the adventure that awaits you. The path that you’ll walk being miles long potentially and the castle itself being a huge behemoth of a building. Feeling the same when you actually step inside.

I really hope D4 doesn’t disappoint in this department and innovates on giving us cool vistas when we step out onto cool places within biomes. Not just an introductory shot. I want to look at cool vistas for every huge castle or place we visit to really get a sense of the land and its size but also its verticality, something you don’t often see in isometric games (everything is made miniature tbh) and instead keep proper scale of huge castles and give us cool panning out vista shots that show their real size.

2 Likes

One thing which will be quite fun to play around with is that enemies will take greater damage from electric and cold when it is raining.

3 Likes