D3 won't launch

So some fault in a backbone segment of the Internet is affecting just Diablo 3, but not any other Blizzard games, like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2?

Well, which would be more likely - an Internet backbone segment having a fault since Tuesday, or… just Diablo 3 having a fault since Tuesday.

The fact that it works when using a VPN proves the issue is with the route the traffic is taking, not with the destination the traffic needs to get to, i.e. it’s not Blizzard’s servers / network edge.

Same issue here after using D3 again after a while. My son also has this issue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I’m not in eastern europe. Trying to start game from Switzeland. Actually no chance while it already worked yesterday and tomorrow morning. It started with beeing stuck while loading after Teleport. Now it refuses to start at all (Only logo shows and game freezes).

Tried loads of “solutions” so far.

Edit/Update: Tried the VPN “solution” as well without any success.

One thing I noticed: Using “Scan & Repair” results in few files beeing downloaded after the scan. When I try to start the game once and start the scan again it will again find some files to download. It seems that there are some files getting corrupted on start - where I am not sure if this is just because I have to force-close the process when hanging.
Is there any log showing which files are downloaded at “Scan & Repair”?

Game launches into a grey screen, not in europe, vpn didn’t work, not going to roll back drivers for the one game that doesn’t like them.

Pastebin vEc9RaMh

The fact that it works when using a VPN proves the issue is with the route the traffic is taking, not with the destination the traffic needs to get to, i.e. it’s not Blizzard’s servers / network edge.

I just installed Diablo 3 on my old laptop - the game loaded immediately. No lag, no connectivity issues, no freezing/crashing. On my desktop PC the problem persists. I guess the traffic is taking a really nice route to Blizzard’s network edge from the laptop, but not from the PC?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E1-350G with Nvidia GeForce GT 740 M, Intel I5, Windows 8.1.
The desktop PC has Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, Intel I7, Windows 10.

2 Likes

So i looks like im not the only one with this problem, i have had this same issue for days now. I can’t launch D3, warcraft, or starcraft. When i launch warcraft i get an error #138 but the other games it just loads for a second and goes away. I noticed that windows did update recently, maybe blizzard needs to do a patch around it, hint hint.

QUCIK FIX

As a person that tried all the forum and non forum guides about fixing it, i downloaded the newest audio chipset drivers restarted my pc and the game loaded without problems, ran dungeons for 6 hours straight without absolutely any crashes.
As an Asrock user i downloaded the APP SHOP from the support page of my manufacturer and auto updated the sound drivers.
Make sure u check what drivers u are using and update them manually even.

I purchased the game a week ago, and after playing for 1hr 7minutes, the game froze up (inside the Cathedral) and gave a D3D error. I could only resolve this by shutting the game down using the task manager. Since then I have been unable to get past the character selection screen; I just kept getting infinite loading screens. I’ve had plenty of help from EU Blizz support, but in the end they said they would refund me because they could not figure out what’s causing the issue.

Since my husband also plays the game (and for him it’s running perfectly fine), I copied his Diablo III folder to my PC - and now the game runs perfectly. When comparing the two folders there was a slight discrepancy in size (his folder being marginally bigger).

I’m so thrilled that the game works!! I understand this is not a solution for everyone, since it requires an additional game folder, but if you have an extra laptop/PC try to install it there, and if it works, copy it over to your machine.

1 Like

VladimirT,

That’s actually interesting information. There are a lot of different reports of different issues in this thread which all have similar behavior. What security programs are you running on both PCs? If you run the game from a new admin account, does that change anything? Are they connected to your router differently? (One with ethernet, the other by wifi?) If it’s only working on one device and not the other but both are on the same network, we need to figure out what’s different.

My D3 file is 16.0 GB (17,197,783,175 bytes). I am not running any security programs just what comes with windows 10 i am on an ethernet not wifi.
I am still having the same problem of not being about to connect to any blizzard games!!!

Drakuloth,
The security program I have is the default Windows Defender.
On the PC I have tried both Wi-Fi and Ethernet. On the laptop the game works with either of them.

When I start the game on the PC, Task Manager shows that the process takes 299 MB of RAM and has 0% HD activity - it just stays on the Reaper of Souls logo and doesn’t try to do anything. On the laptop, the process takes a lot more memory and has a lot of HD activity.

I will try this:

1 Like

As I suspected, the game worked on my desktop PC with Windows 10 after I copied the Diablo 3 game folder from my laptop with Windows 8.1. As Staryu mentioned, the game folder from the laptop was slightly larger in size - so it seems that there are missing files when the game is downloaded on Windows 10 (also ‘Scan and Repair’ doesn’t help).

Thank god I had that old laptop around.
Of course, it is not known for how long that workaround will be functional.

2 Likes

I have almost played non-stop since I got it working, and so far so good.

I suggest to keep a copy of the “untainted” folder somewhere, in case this workaround would be needed again in the future. That’s what I’m doing anyways.

VladimirT/Staryu,

I still suspect that it’s not that it’s downloading incorrectly, but that something is actually quarantining a critical file during installation. It downloads fine on my latest build of Windows 10 and is playable upon reinstall. VladimirT, when I looked at your DXDiag higher up in the thread, I noticed that you were on a very old build of Windows 10. It’s over 6 months out of date. This probably means your defender definitions are also significantly out of date.

There is a drawback to this, however. There is a competing bug which affects the latest build of Windows 10 which can cause periodic freezeups. Let’s see if we can find a way to fix this without updating to the absolute latest build of windows. Can you run Windows Update and pick up any Windows Defender definition or security updates, but refrain from downloading Version 2004 (19041.546)? If you don’t see any updates, can you re run the windows updater manually from a new admin account and reinstall the game? If you’d prefer not to, I understand, I’m just not able to reproduce this on my end to test unfortunately so we need players who are affected to do the troubleshooting for now.

I confirm its works! My friend shared for me WORKING D3 arhive. I downloaded and run x64 version and all works fine for me now!
I sent once again DXDiag from PC, i didnt change nothing only download good version 2.6.9 from my friend!
DXDIAG: https://yadi.sk/d/B8XlqdMmtFN0hg
All this time i delete D3 and install it only from Battle.net client and downgrede video drivers ect…
So i think you MUST check which files you give to users over peering download! My opinion some files on EU downloading servers are broken\corrupted …
Because i also try download and play Starcraft 2 and also have same problems with launch!
If you check my very first DXDiag i work on 2004 now, i install Build 18363 (19H1) and on both i have problem with launch! only after downloading from friend link my D3 began to work

2 Likes

If Windows Defender was quarantining files during installation, it would have also quarantined them when I copied the game folder from my external hard drive.

I will try updating Windows 10 and disabling Windows Defender completely - but I suspect that as soon as I run ‘Scan and Repair’ or make a fresh installation, the game will stop working again.

I can confirm that I was running the previous version of Windows 10 when I installed the game the first time around. However, shouldn’t updating to 2004 during my troubleshooting with the EU support crew have resolved the issue then, since I also re-installed the game a couple of times and did scan/repair?

Staryu,

Yes, that should have fixed it if you reinstalled after. Interesting. What build of windows is your husband on? I’m unsure what all of you have in common currently just yet. Let’s try this a different way. For those of you having this specific issue - where Diablo 3 won’t launch unless you reinstall it completely - let’s get some logs.

1. Run log goblin and find the file generated by the tool.
  2. Email the logs to me using this information:

To: techinfo@blizzard.com
Subject: Attn: Drakuloth - Diablo 3 Client Breaking after Each Reinstall

Note: This email is only for file collection and is not monitored. Emails will not receive a reply.

I can try looking over those and see if we can find anything else. If you receive an error about the file being too large or rejected by our spam filter, you can upload it to a file hosting service and link it to us. Ensure that the file is available to the public, as we do not download files if we need to ask an owner for permission to download the file.