D3 won't launch

I just bought the game and it didn t launch, not only once. When i press play i only see the logo then the error “diablo 3 retail stopped working”.

There seems to be an issue with the last update - several friends are reporting the same issue.

I have tried everything - reinstalling both BNet and D3, scan&repair, 32- and 64-bit, you name it. Game doesn’t start, the D3 overlay just sits there with the spinning blue circle.

(Same goes for PTR build, btw.)

Hey there! I tried to see if the same problem was happening on my end here and it seems to launch fine. By chance, does the issue happen on the Americas region?

As a general step, it may help to try checking if the chroma settings may be enabled.

There are known issues with the Version 2004 (Build 19041) update that we’re aware of, but this sounds a bit different from what we’ve seen. If the problem continues, could you provide a DxDiag file? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

Well, the reason you can’t get onto the PTR isn’t related to whatever technical fault you’re experiencing. It’s because the PTR isn’t available until Thursday.

I have the same issue. Neither ptr nor public starts. It doesnt matter if i choose NA or Europe.
PTR would start btw but you just cannot log in.

Our issue already starts with the little D3 overlay symbol. It appears, shows a loading circle (the blue windows standart) and nothing more seems to happen. It freezes if i click onto it. Waiting didnt solve the problem either.

btw: Starcraft II had this or some similiar issue just 1 or 2 months ago. It took forever (like, really 5-15 minutes) until the game finally loaded. If you clicked into it it crashed and the only way to start the game was to pull out the LAN cabel, start the game, put the LAN cabel back in and then log in… ill try that with d3 now btw. Nope, d3 seems to need internet to start in the first place.

Another thing: Is your launcher english or other language?

Ah, that makes sense. I figured it would be a useful troubleshooting step, but that explains it.

Starting to see reports of this on EU Technical Support now too…

That post has full MSInfo, DxDiag and process info in it.

DXDiag (pastebin): nRPCxudS

Primary region is Europe, but issue persists regardless of region (US/Asia).

I have attempted the D3prefs.txt workaround (not that I have any Razer devices, but you never know - no dice).

Mm, there are a few posts on the D3 subreddit as well.

Again - this happened after an update earlier today. I only caught a glimpse of the update process, but it seems to be around 7-8 MB. After browsing the game folders I could at least see that there was yet another update to fmodex.dll, but there would have to be more changes as the dll is only ~1 MB.

Well my game won’t launch either, and I’m a bit pissy about it as i was looking forward to playing it after stressful day

Hey all,

If you’re experiencing the game not launching issue can you post your DXDIAG files like Caterpepi mentioned?

We’re trying to look for any commonalities here since the game is launching for most other players but not for some.

1 Like

dxdiag pastebin link tGUaBHBn

also i can’t find any file named D3prefs.txt (it’s a clean install and i havn’t been able to open the game since)

dxdiag pastebin link: kQqDQJhj
I uninstalled and reinstalled the game after deleting every cache or temp files… Somehow I was able to launch the game ONCE when the download of the files was at around 95% … but as soon as it reached 100% I couldn’t launch it again… just seeing the D3 RoS logo and it freezes and crashes when I click it.

when the game start i see diablo logo then crash, my dxdiag pastebin: Xk2Z5TJZ

Update: I have been able to launch the game and get to the character screen after deactivating all the sound in the d3pref - I found some error and tried it. Now the game crashes as soon as I try to join the world (doesn’t matter if online or singleplayer) - sometimes it freezes when I click around the options-menu.

Here’s another dxdiag pastebin after I’m able to launch it again: r98k1ybk
I don’t know if you guys can spot anything helpful in there but I hope I can help in any way…

I have the same problem: DXDiag https://yadi.sk/d/B8XlqdMmtFN0hg

Hi. I have the same troubles with the launch Diablo III. It freeze and don’t launch. I have checked and did all of recommendations but it don’t helpful.

My dxdiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xuTnHFuOA6JLJLzkU1euJBcRii4EFvlV/view?usp=sharing

D3Ddebugs x32, x64:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I1-6qzbtsyF37HtZaZcp9d35wq7-TNw-/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iW1VkpjcNaJaLtRp3TIknPrdqPNUr_Sj/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone here confirm that also starcraft II is loading up super slow?

They had this issue just a few weeks ago already. Maybe its the same error and somebody of their team knows a fix? @Devs

Hey guyz for everyone having issues with the game freezing or infinite loading , i got the same after yesterday’s game update , i tried to check game cache several times and it always downloaded a 8mb patch doesn’t matter how many times i checked so today i checked with a copy on my other pc that didn’t update since last week , what i found that the size differs by ~200 MB that were missing Data/data forlder after update you can check at the link pastebin. com/s7zmNMXG i replaced the files on my pc with the ones that were intact and TA DA the game works perfectly so you could potenially try to delete data folder and then check the cache because for some reason the launcher just checked the presence of files and didn’t compare them to the master files on update server (or even worse the update server itself had those files corrupted) so all because of the trash launcher that is pushed down our throats that can’t even update without breaking the game or at least if it’s broken it can’t fix nothing … now i start the game directly from game’s executable with -launch parameter