D3:RoS - Locks when entering game

I woke up this morning and went through my usual routine. Sat down at my computer and did the following, just like every morning:

1. Checked for OS updates. There were none.
  2. Checked for motherboard updates, including sound drivers. There were none.
  3. Checked for NVIDIA drivers. One ready: Version 431.60. Did clean install, as usual.
  4. Checked system registry with CCleaner. No issues found.
  5. Restarted computer: Not necessary, but I include it in the process.

Now, I was ready to play D3.

1. I started the Battle.net Desktop App. (I have this set to close when a game starts).
  2. Clicked the “Play” button.
  3. On the Game Menu, I clicked “Start Game”.

As soon as I entered the game, it locked up on me. I had to press the Windows-key, which brought up the Start Menu and Taskbar. There was no D3 program icon on the Taskbar. I right-clicked the Taskbar and brought up the Task Manager. D3 was listed as still running. I had to select it and “End task”.

I tried again with the same results. My conclusion was the updated driver was bad or didn’t install properly.

1. I re-installed my previous version NVIDIA driver, 431.36, doing a clean install.
  2. I tried running D3 again and it still locked up on me. So, I re-installed the latest driver, 431.60.
  3. I ran the game again, just to make sure. It locked up on me again.
  4. I ran the Battle.net App and ran “Scan & Repair”.
  5. I ran D3 and it locked up on me again.
  6. I moved the D3Prefs file from my Documents folder to my Desktop and ran D3. It locked up.
  7. I restarted my computer, with the D3Prefs file still on my Desktop, ran D3 and it still locked up. (Always as soon as entering the game).
  8. I uninstalled D3, but not the App.
  9. I re-installed D3. The D3Prefs file is still on my Desktop.
  10. I checked my Documents folder and there was no D3Prefs file there.
  11. I started D3 and entered the game without issues.
  12. I had to reset my in-game Video and Audio settings. But, everything else was set like I had it, including my Key Bindings.
  13. I ran several Rifts and some Bounties without issues.

I quit the game and checked my Documents folder. There was no D3Prefs file there. (I thought D3 would create a new one).

1. I moved the D3Prefs file from my Desktop to my Documents folder and ran the game again. It locked up.
  2. I moved the D3Prefs file back to my Desktop and ran D3. It locked up.
  3. I uninstalled D3 and reinstalled it… again. It ran without issues.

Conclusion: For some reason, my D3Prefs file is causing D3 to lock up when I enter the game. Once it locks up it continues to do this even if I move the D3Prefs file. The only way I can fix it is to uninstall D3 and re-install it.

I could live with that, but now, the game is not creating a new D3Prefs file. So, every time I run D3, I have to reset my Video and Audio Options.

Here is my current DxDiag information: DxDiag 07-24-2019 - Pastebin.com

I decided to uninstall the Battle.net App and reinstall it. That didn’t help. D3 still will not create a new D3Prefs file, so I continue to reset my in-game Video and Audio Options.

While I was uninstalling the Battle.net App, using Revo Uninstaller, I decided to go one step further and run CCleaner to make sure everything related to the App was cleaned out before re-installing. CCleaner found several App-related issues still in the registry.

When clicking the “Fix” button, CCleaner asks if you want to save the registry file. (Also saved in my Documents folder). But, CCleaner wouldn’t save it, as it told me that my Documents folder did not exist. Even after manually pointing to the folder, it would not let me save it. So I elected to fix the issues without saving the backup.

I mention this because I had a similar issue last November 2018. It was covered on the old D3 Technical Support Forum in my thread, Changing D3 Save Location. I tried the solution there, but my current system registry file appeared to be okay.

So, I don’t know what has happened different, except updating my video drivers, that has caused my computer to lose track of my Documents folder.

Until someone has some suggestions or it corrects itself, I’ll just have to continue resetting some of my Game Options whenever I play D3.

At least I can still play.

Hey Perusoe,

This definitely sounds weird. Have you tried running the Blizzard app as Admin or testing the game on a new Windows user account? If this persists, there may be a deeper OS problems and you may want to try running some PC diagnostics like a System File Checker.

I tried running the App as administrator, but D3 still won’t create a new D3Prefs file.

I then set Diablo III Launcher.exe and Diablo III.exe to run as administrator with the App still set for administrator too. D3 still won’t create a new D3Prefs file.

I followed the instructions on the System File Checker page you linked. Here are my results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.239]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.239

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I then restarted my computer. (Not sure I need to). I then ran the Battle.net App and started D3. I Esc'd the introduction cinematic and opened the Game Options. I made the adjustments to Video and Audio, “Appiled” them and exited the game. D3 still did not create a new D3Prefs file.

I don’t know what possessed me to do this. But, at this point, I decided to move my D3Prefs file, I had stored on my Desktop, back in my Documents folder. I ran the Battle.net App and started D3. It loaded like usual, without the introduction cinematic and I didn’t have to adjust my Video or Audio Options. But, like earlier, as soon as I entered the game it locked up.

This time I tried something different:

1. I pressed the Windows-key, which brought up the Start Menu and Taskbar.
  2. I right-click on the Taskbar and opened the Task Manager. The D3 program icon was not on the Taskbar, but it was listed in the Task Manager as “still running”.
  3. Instead of selecting it to “End task”, I right-clicked on it and selected “Switch to”.

This brought D3 back up and it was running fine.

It’s a hell of a work around, but it’s better than resetting my Video and Audio Options every time I run the game. It appears that something happened between the time I went to bed last night and this morning that messed up my computer.

I’m not that tech-savvy, so if it gets worse or starts affecting other programs besides D3 and CCleaner, I guess I’ll resort to wiping my drive and re-installing Windows 10. (I don’t look forward to that).

If there’s anything else you think I can try, it would be very much appreciated. In any case, thank you for your help! :beer:

@Zenlaka

This morning I decided to do my full maintenance routine on my computer.

• Malwarebytes Premium (Lifetime License) runs full time.
  • Spybot-Search & Destroy (Free): I ran Update, Immunization and Scan System.

Malwarebytes found no threats as of its last Scan. (Runs at 2:00 AM).

Spybot found many issues. Mostly cookies to clear, some registry entries and a lot of unnecessary temp files. I had Spybot fix these issues and restarted my computer.

I just tried running D3.

• The game loaded fine.
  • I did not have to skip through the Introduction cinematic.
  • All my Game Options were set correctly, without adjusting.
  • I was able to enter the game with no issues. (It did not lock up this time).
  • The D3Prefs file is now updating correctly, according to the “Date modified”.

The issue seems to have been resolved.

Thanks again! :beer:

1 Like

for some unknowed reason my diablo freeze up when selecting my heroes and push the button play and when i enter in diablo townquare it freeze and totaly locked up my system.i have to do ctrl+alt+del for unsigning from windows and reboot.it’s apears to be a common problem that the dev do not solve.i just thinking i’m about to give up diablo 3 and stay on my steam game

My belief is D3 is an ancient game they have long ago stopped caring about and updating. Better off playing other games similar to it to get the dungeon crawling fix.