D3 login does not store password

When I log in to battle.net, my account name and password are prefilled in, and then when I go to play D3 I am already logged in.

However, if I let D3 go unused long enough to time out and get disconnected, when I go to log back in to the game my account name is there but the password field is empty.

Is it supposed to be this way, the not saving of the password?

Is there a way to get the password to be saved? I have to keep a txt file on my desktop with my password in it because there’s no way I’m going to remember the long string of random numbers and symbols that is my password…

You should probably use something better than that, like KeePass.

I believe so, yes.

When you initially launch Battle.net, if you have it configured to remember your password, your username / password credentials are automatically supplied to the authentication servers, so that you’re already logged in. When you launch D3, those credentials are passed through and used, so you don’t also need to log into D3.

However, when you leave D3 idle for long enough, and it terminates your game session, you are also logged out of the game. This gives you the login prompt because the authentication credentials have to be re-supplied and, as they’re not being supplied by a pass-through from Battle.net, you’d have to manually enter them. When you exit the game, and re-launch it from Battle.net, the credentials are again passed through, and you get straight into the game.

2 Likes

I thought KeePass was only for websites in browsers, not stand alone programs.

Even still, to retrieve my password for D3 I would have to open that program and then copy it. Opening a notepad file is simpler, and nothing would need to be installed.

Clearly the best thing to do when one gets logged out is to simply close D3 and go through battle.net so no typing or copy/paste is required.

If you get to that disconnect screen that prompts password, click exit at lower left.
It will take you back to Launcher and you can start a new game without entering the password.