D2:R Personal Loot - another view

Hi there,

i read a lot about the personal loot, saw the video where Brevik said that he would’ve implemented personal loot and so on… i read SwiftKittens topics in the D2:R forum and so on.
Due to i can only post in the D2:R forums when i own D2:R, i chose to write my point here.

The actual looting system of D2 has an intrinsic fact, that no one seems to understand.
The actual systems COMMUNICATES for you.
To point out what this means, i’ll state an example.

Imagine you play with 2 friends and farm a bit. You are a bit tired - hard day - and you go for the boss. You kill it, you drop something amazing and now the loot system kicks in:
if you have

A) personal loot
I would have to talk to my friends “hey, i found a shako, do you need it?” and all players have to check their loot and talk around if there is something useful they could share. If i’m tired like i mentioned above, i might forget to talk with my friends about it. Chances may be gone.
And it states, that all players need to have the same knowledge. Maybe my friend doesnt know that i am looking for a 5 socket armor plate. He just sells it for 53 gold and i farm for it since 3 weeks. Or that a yellow amulet might be extremely good for him, but with his knowledge he doenst know it better.
So here is the primitive scheme of the communication process:

GAME–>LOOTER–>OTHER PLAYERS

B) shared loot
everyone sees the drop and we talk about, who needs it the most. It saves time and a lot of willingness to communicate the loot.
There is not much more to say, so the scheme looks like this:

GAME–>ALL PLAYERS

In the end, shared loot communicates for you and saves time. It encourages to play together and promotes social bondings.

With personal loot, you are alone. You and the items. You could give it away, for sure, but you have to act. And most people are lazy and it costs their time. They start another run instead of talking about their loot to trade it. Because it costs time. And time is a ressource.

I don’t mind implementing personal loot. But my experience from D3 is that (beside the fact you cannot trade (EDIT:) everything). You play with friends in a game, but in the end you are alone. Your inventory is full and you cannot know 100% what your mate needs. Maybe you sell something they aimed for like forever. Its in our nature, we are lazy and we all have no time and we will not talk about things/drops. It does not bring people together. So its one step away from my original impression from D2.

I rate the comminication fact through shared loot in the game so strong, that i think implementing personal loot is a bad idea.

p.s. i think this is just a minor fact, but its a totally underrated tool that people try to give away… just my 2 cents

2 Likes

False.

1 Like

Also, false.

You’re new here so you might not know this, but this topic has been talked about for weeks. There are more ways to implement personal loot. In fact, there is one person here who vehemently suggests loot drops to be visible with personal loot system.

You are correct, Sir. I edited. Thank you.

All world drops are tradeable in D3 between group members. So you essentially can trade everything.

You mean like in WoW?

You have the same time problem there and one person who gathers all.

Lolwut?

• PickIt bots
  • Thieving griefers with supercharged toons snatching the loot from under your feet.

Personal loot is the ONLY way to go. Then AND now.

/thread

1 Like

Not really. You’re thinking of master loot or something. If it is WoW way, I would figure it would be more like thatevil has looted Shako(unique/magic/rare) message thingy. But when it comes to Diablo series, like the guy I mentioned suggests, I would figure it would be bolded / transparent loot; bolded for your assigned loot, transparent for other’s assigned loot while all items drop just the way it is in D2.

1 Like

This would be an option.
These are nice, constructive points.

Oh, I should mention this. Main point from pro personal loot side, in this forum at least, is that there simply being an ‘optional’ choice. In D2, players make room to play in, 8 players max. When creating a room, there could be a toggle-able checkbox,

• Shared loot
  • Personal loot

like how you set difficulty in D2. This could be visible in the lobby, when deciding which room to join in, and there could be a filter option to search only room with personal loot or shared loot. So personal loot side is not denying shared loot system to be completely scrapped from D2.

1 Like

It should just be a setting when you host a game, obviously you want to play personal loot when you play a public game because you don’t know those people, and we have learned humans will be arseholes online always.

1 Like

Everyone might still see all loot that drops on the ground, even with personal loot, they just can’t pick the items up.
So that should not be an issue.

Even D3 shows what each player looted in the chat.
But imo allowing all players to see the items in the ground is even better. Both could be the case of course.