D2R GPU Temps are up there!

In that case in the future we need an option to adjust FPS limit to the value we want in the game settings. Using V-sync in not an optimal choice as it does enable small input-lag and the game is not that responsive as with this option being disabled.
Even tho graphics cards are designed to work at 100% stress and temperature like ~75oC is certainly not dangerous for them.

1 Like

Same here,
I always display CPU/GPU usage and temps and was wondering about them comparing to other games.
D2R very high settings vsync on: CPU 15%, GPU 100% (77 degrees)
in comparison D3 best settings: CPU 15%, GPU 47%

My specs:
Dual Monitor 1440p 144 Hz
3700x
3070 Aorus master

Solution:
limiting D2R FPS in NVIDIA Panel to 80 (and 60 fps in background) results in
57 % usage and temp is now at 66 degrees, what seems to be fine.
the limiter should be available in the D2R options.

This behavior is possibly the reason for a lot of CTDs i had in this beta.
I hope that it is fixed for now :wink:

I have the same problem of high temp with a 1080ti on the first couple of days, temp can reach 80c which never happen to any other games (even ones that are way more graphically intensive than D2R). It seems to be better on the last day of beta testing (constant 70c) so I suspect VV has done something to better optimize this issue, hopefully it wont return on the open beta.

i7-10700 + rtx2080s (watercooled) … runs D2R on 60-62 degrees

I started playing D2R with default settings (high). After 15 mins my tower is burning like hell when i touch it. It goes over 80°c.
Using:
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Motherboard
AMD FX 8120 3.10 ghz
Gygabite Geforce GTX 1060 G1 6gb ddr5
Kingston HyperX RAM 16gb 1600 mhz
Also using a good liquid cooler
I know some components are kinda old but d3 and other games runs really nice and never burn my pc and my room like this

Try this to help. If you read through the thread I had it posted above, but it seems I need to keep re-posting it. lol

The game currently has no in-game settings to control FPS or Vsync. The problem is that the game lets the card run as hard and as fast as it can with no limit. So they get hot. This is why currently its best to use the graphic software for your card to limit the FPS and set vsync. I have been recommending 60FPS for laptops and lower end cards, and I wouldn’t go higher than 144FPS for high end cards, for now.

Enable Vsync to limit the game’s framerate (FPS), which may lower the temperature of your GPU. You can also lower your FPS in most of our games by using controls found in the graphics settings.

The above was found here:

My card dropped an average of 20 degrees F with the change without sacrificing quality settings or performance. (game is still set to max settings and smooth playing)

3 Likes

Seriously? That’s completely useless if you can’t even reach stable 60 fps on recommended specs.

1 Like

This tip may be acceptable only as a temporary solution. Hope it gets fixed soon.

1 Like

That sounds like a sub optimal hardware issue. I’m running a standard 1660. Not super, not TI. It turns a solid 60FPS, and is smooth as glass with the above settings and all graphics set to max in the game. And all that while not being able to fry eggs on it. And its coupled to a 7th gen i3 7100… So…

If your hardware can’t even put out 60FPS, then lower it to 30FPS or something. IN those cases, lower your graphic quality as well. I wouldn’t mess with scaling unless you have tried everything else first.

I don’t know what you are running, but maybe its not set up optimally or perhaps needs an update to the graphic driver. I know my own driver is a couple months out of date, but I only update it when I have issues with something.

Exactly. At the moment, this is one of the main ways to correct the problem. That problem being that the game as it is right now, is not allowing for vsync or FPS capping. Its letting the card run unrestricted, which may result in high heat, high power usage and potential long term damage. Long gaming periods of excessive heat can damage components over time or at the very least shorten their expected life span.

2 Likes

I gave some suggestions a shot to see any differences, to which I have.

• Open Nvidia Control Panel
  • Select Program Settings
  • “Add” Game.exe (D2R will come up as “Game.exe”) to list.

CHANGES:

• Max Frame Rate = 60 FPS
  • Power Management Mode > Preferred Maximum Performance
  • Texture Filtering - Quality > Performance
  • Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization > On
  • Threaded Optimization > On

I’ve also set D2R “High Priority” under Task Manager > Details > Diablo 2 Resurrected > Right Click D2R > “Set Priority” > High.

I have V-Sync OFF since I run a MSI Occulux 24" G-Sync 240Hz monitor.
Resolution is set to 1920x1080 (native), Fullscreen.

After 2.5 hrs of D2R gameplay, here are the results.
Maximum CPU temps: 53C
Maximum GPU temp: 54C
Maximum Fan Speed: 55
(This will depend on your MSI Afterburner fan curve)
Game ran quiet and cool!!

Before these changes, my GPU temp was 77C after 30 min of gameplay. Hope this helps! :grin:

1 Like

Why?

This would if any thing make the CPU work harder than it needs to.

That won’t matter. Vsync will either A: Lock the game to match the monitor or a fraction of the monitor refresh rate or B: Cap out at the FPS cap if it has one set. And since its set to 60, you are going to get 60 no matter if vsync is on or not. Or you should.

The biggest impact here is the FPS being set to 60. That alone will bring the temps down a ton.

Just want to share my own solution regarding high GPU utilizations at 90~100%.
To solve this problem, for Win10: you can go to Windows > Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings (its down the bottom) > Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling (turn it off) > Restart computer

My GPU utilizations now dropped down from 90~100% to 6~20%. However, temperature still remains at 73 degrees Celsius.

Hope this helps!

P.S. After the above change of settings, my computer did experience BSOD upon game launch (twice if I remembered correctly). I am not sure if this is directly related to switching the GPU scheduling function off, or it is just pure coincidence.

FYI, the BSOD error I got was: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. Which sounds like something related to the above.

Maybe you guys shouldn’t make the game do that out of the gate?

GPU temps max out at around 105C so 76C is hardly “whopping” and it’s not going to cook your card. I have a 2080ti and it hovers around 53 to 57 when playing the game.

There is nothing wrong with 70 - 80c, it’s normal…

And yet when playing nearly any other game most cards are not running as hot, so it still begs the question, WHY are they running so hot and WHY do we need to control the FPS to help lower the temps?

Personally, I would rather have my card run only as hard as it needs to in order to get the job done, not run for hours at max utilization, max FPS, max everything, making it work as hard as it can and shorten its life, no matter if you think the temp is normal or not. What is normal for ONE card, might not be normal for ANOTHER card. Not to mention laptops that already have limitations for cooling to start with.

Being dismissive of a problem, is not fixing the problem. Its saying it doesn’t matter to you. And that’s not a solution.

4 Likes

Gonna have to refund since my 2080Ti is hitting thermal limit and crashing. No game is worth bricking my GPU.

2 Likes

Yep, even low end cards are a massive cost to replace for many players. Heck, even if you have a good above average income, $500-2000 is not something most people can just drop immediately to replace a gfx card.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. Though if you make some adjustments to the card settings for D2R in the nvidia control panel you can prevent a problem. But I totally get your thinking.

Yeah, I have seen how bad the prices have been lately. Its nuts. In some cases, its cheaper to buy a pre-built, not that I recommend that. lol
I prefer to build my own.

2 Likes

… I am holding myself back to sit quiet.

I feel such a relief that I am a mostly WoW player and not person dead-focused on waiting for D2R.

This is all both crazy and scary. You can’t trust Your own reason anymore, gaming-wise.

DTMAce - respect to You for being very helpful.

I barely believe in what is happening here.