D2R GPU Temps are up there!

Noticed this in the recent patch notes:

• Added several client, server and network optimizations

Wonder if that might help at all with this issue…

Doesn’t sound like it.

They would have needed a line similar to:

• Added FPS control to graphics options.

I made the changes to limit fps and in act 2 while outside i was still reaching temps of 77-78C. Going into a dungeon it would drop to mid 60’s. So maybe there are some sub optimal areas. I’m not sure that for a new game having to limit yourself to 60 fps is such a great thing.

ACT 1 open areas are more graphic intensive from the moving grass background and rains. They may need settings option to eliminate that if players dont need that

When did the overheating started for you guys? I couldn’t set foot out of the rouge camp, because i’m alone whit my 5 year old son, so he’s a priority. So didn’t realy played, but i changed the setting to low, just in case.

Was happening during the closed BETA. You can easily find some suggestions on fixes (for now) here:

I meant, when you were progressing thru the game, at what point you noticed, the overheating. I imagine it’s more of a problem, when you’re exploring and killing monsters.

It’s actually pretty hard to pinpoint since the game is somehow crashing monitoring tools like Afterburner for some reason never seen anything like that tbh.

I didn’t seem to see a pattern. Mostly while I was in game, not at the menu, but it didn’t matter if I was in town for 5 minutes, or immediately headed out. Heat would ramp up in roughly the same amount of time. It would vary some depending on where I was, but still seem higher than it needs to be anywhere I was. Using the above settings I was able to drop the temps pretty significantly for my system. 80C+ down to 60-66C. I was using CPUID HW Monitor to record while playing and noting high points, and popping out occasionally to see where it was in a given moment.

1 Like

Hey Guys . i am on a 2080 with a 8700k and on D2R i get like 86C+ and i noticed with my fans going crazy . i opened witcher 3 just to see if its the same and i was like 75 C ! have they done something to the game ? i play like 100+ fps on a 144hz monitor and on 1440p

Might need to lower the FPS, or at least set it. The game is probably driving your FPS as hard as it can, higher than what you think it is. I would also try lowering the resolution to 1080 or lower the scaling.

Yes, this game has been extremely demanding on systems.

Basically its forcing the card to work as hard as it can, and supposedly vsync is controlling the FPS, but not everyone has the same results. I suggest capping the FPS to a lower setting in effort to mitigate the effects on card usage, along with quality setting changes.

I have provided a thread with the full steps on making changes to the nvidia drivers directly. And they are reversible if need be. But they help.

Thanks i’ll be cautious. My PC automaticly set everything to medium, but lowered it to low settings, v-sync on, and even changed to windowed mode. FPS caped to 58 by the Nvidia controll panel by deafult.

The game should not run this bad on high end hardware it’s not like it’s pushing 1000s of fps no even the best cards available atm are over 100 fps at best so that’s just nonsense

Nah the real problem here is they probably didn’t spend a second on performance optimizations so far.
Most likely because they have at least 5 more platforms to work on (i really don’t want to see the switch version…) and Blizzard is definitely demanding the game should be released next month to push their quarterly results.

I’m actually running mine with everything maxed out, scaling at 100%. And this is on a system with an i3 7100, 32GB of memory and a nVidia 1660 standard. Runs warm, but not nearly as much before I set the 60 FPS cap. (gsync 144hz monitor)

No it shouldn’t, but it does run most cards pretty warm if not hot.

You know that depending on the card, the config and the game, you can get several hundred FPS or higher in some cases. So, no its not nonsense.

What IS happening, is that it appears the card is running unrestricted. Meaning, it is working as hard as it can to provide as much as it has to the game. Which it shouldn’t be doing. That usually only happens if the FPS is running un-capped. Meaning the card is trying to crank out as much FPS as it can, even though you don’t need it.

The exact issue is not clear, but there is a severe optimization problem. My suggestions (which are not solely my own) mitigate the problem, but don’t solve the problem.

But its better than not doing anything and letting your computer bake unnecessarily.

1 Like

I have a Saphire RX 480 8GB i have run this game 4 times so far all ended in crashing. The last crash resulted garbage graphical artifacts. The game seems to be having huge over heating issues aswell. Normally i do not have a game going from 60 degrees to 80 in a time frame of 3-5 minutes. Pretty sure my GPU is not the issue here. I wonder if it’s an engine issue that needs optimizing. I also instanly turned off ambient occlusion, due to this taking up a ton of performance and probably an additional cause of generating extra unnessacary heat. I just hope the devs see this thread and try to pin point down the issue. The way things are i do not want to continue to play the game, if it could cause irreparable damage to my hardware. The game sure does looks the way that i had it in mind 20 years ago. Big thanks to the dev team! Hope you can manage getting things fixed.

Go into your Saphire control panel, try setting an FPS cap. That may help a lot.

No, it appears to have some optimization problems. These problems are not the cards. But the card setting changes at least help for now.

Same here
3700x + msi 3090 rtx in 3440x1440 température is very high… (78°) I’ll try to put in 60 hz

The problem likely lies within the upscaling algos.

Blizz should have remastered this game from the ground up and forgone the old graphics. Tossing out the old graphics and using a modern engine would have been the way to go.

I have Minecraft Dungeons installed that uses the Unreal Engine 4 - MC Dungeons was partly inspired by the Diablo franchise. Under full load, max settings, my CPU cores run at around 32-36c (AIO water cooler) and the GPU stays around 39-41c (air cooled). The graphics are amazing in this game, stunning actually.

What’s unfolding with D2R is a train wreck. I’m not optimistic this will truly be fixed anytime “soon”.

my radeon r9 380 get gpu spikes after minutes of playtime.
every 5 seconds for 1/2 second spikelags.
its unplayable.

edit: idk its just weird. atm its smooth. i cant even figure out whats the problem.
trying several things since 19:15 mesz ;D

Everyone, PLEASE do some research in this forum for improvements to lower ur GPU temp. I HIGHLY suggest you cap your FPS to 60 within your Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > “add” > Game.exe (that’s D2R name for some reason) > Max Frame Rate (60) > Apply.

Even if you have a high end godly PC, this will even help you out as well if ur rocking a RTX 30 series GPU if you are experiencing high temp issues.
Also, if you need or want to, enable V-Sync (I don’t b/c I use G-Sync w/ a 240Hz monitor). Also, check your MSI Afterburner fan curves (if you have that) which does assist in fan cooling.

After playing 1 hour of D2R with this (my) set up, max temp was 47C including max fan speed at 46. Notably, I also keep the AC in my house at 66F.