Crit Chance Broke my Build

I just spent two days building a Frenzy barbarian and I have always wanted to try the broken promises ring.

While building, I had an extra ring slot and there were no rings to put in slot that could enhance the build. So I rerolled every single item on the character to get rid of Crit Chance and put on a Broken Promises.

Characters have a base stat of 5% Crit Chance. at 5% I should be critting maybe once each 20 hits. Yet I just went through THE MOST PAINFUL Grift I’ve ever attempted. Just a 105. My broken promises ring procced maybe 5 times through the entire rift because of my innate 5% Crit Chance.

This has been my frustrating Frenzy Barb. I’m about to salvage all its primals and delete the character.

Thank you for reading.

Why post this on the bug forums? this is not a bug.

2 Likes

You should have paid attention to your Bastion’s Revered which says…

Frenzy now stacks up to 10 times and hits an additional time per stack. Each additional hit will chain to any enemies within 15 yards, and the damage is split between all of the affected enemies.

So, at 10 Frenzy stacks, each time you swing your weapons you’re hitting things 10 times, and that’s spread to all mobs within 15 yards. If you’re in density, e.g. surrounded by 50 mobs, you’re hitting 50 mobs 10 times every weapon swing. So, with a 5% chance of critting, and 500 events per swing, the chance of not critting is effectively none which is why you’d not see the ring’s effect.

Not a bug.

1 Like

Thank you for that reminder. I do have 130% area damage as well. I took that into account, and still, 5% crit chance should see the proc regardless of the number of enemies. As there should be 20 hits in that area chain effect before one crits.

This also does not take into account the Rift Guardian who had no summons. I hit the guardian over 1000 times and it never procced.

For the rest of you, I do feel this is a bug. As 5% Crit chance should be a guarantee to proc Borken Promises. Why is that ring in the game if it’s not intended to be used?

1 Like

In density, Bastion’s Revered is causing you to hit huge numbers of targets per weapon swing. In the scenario I described, at 10 stacks, with 50 mobs within 15 yards, you’re effectively making 500 hits per weapon swing. So…

https://www.omnicalculator.com/statistics/binomial-distribution

Number of events = 500
Probability of success per event = 5%
Chance of getting 5 or less successes = 0.00009182%

That’s under 1 in 10,000 chance of getting 5 crits or less, with each weapon swing.

I understand this. But please run those same numbers against a single target such as the rift guardian who did not cast summons.

Why? at a 5% chance you have roughly a 1/4th chance to land a critical hit in 5 hits on a single target that’s way way far from your assumed guranteed plus you are using frenzy 2 of your runes cast extra attacks on hit that afaik do not count to those 5 hits but will nullify the count if they crit making it even more unlikely that you will land the 5 non crits on a row.

There is a reason this item is not used despite is potential to free stats on rings, amulets and weapons it scales horribly with multi hits and crowds, it’s complete garbage like many other rings in the game.

Math isn’t as hard as you’re pretending it is.

5 hits each at 5% chance is not 25% chance. The stat isn’t changing by hitting more times. If you hit 100 times, each hit is still a 5% chance.

Do you realize how rare 5% actually is? There is a 5% chance per hit. Not 25% chance over 5 hits.

Yeah forgot there is a entire field of math dedicated to it, even if you ignore 5% is not as rare it’s a 1 in 20 to land which you must avoid for 5 consecutive hits on a single target, regardless your inability to understand % is not a bug, this ring works as intended even if the intended way makes it worthless, if you can record yourself hitting 5 times not showing crits and then not getting a crit on the next you found a bug, but you won’t because this ring works.

Nowhere does it say that it must be accrued on a single target.

“5 consecutive no critical hits.”

I actually did watch more than 5 non-critical hits land with no proc. Perhaps there’s a hidden cooldown on the ring?

Anyway, I accept that this ring is not an option to use in the game, forcing more players to use the same exact builds as others when a slight tweak could enhance build variety by a lot. I accept that this is yet another shiddy worthless waste of time.

I reverted my entire character back to rolling for Crit chance on all of the items that I rolled it off of because this stupidly makes the build unplayable.

Thanks for the discussions and the “fall in line” mindset you’ve tossed my way.

Reading your other replies more carefully now I see you do not understand the main issue with this ring, a hit for this ring is an attack similar to how life on hit only procs once regardless of how many enemies you hit, so if you hit 100 enemies with a single attack this only counts as 1 attack for the ring so in order for it to count none of those 100 enemies you hit need to have crited, this is why this ring is complete garbage.

As I said before since frenzy has all runes you have a chance to produce 2 extra hits per attack, these 2 extras must not crit or they will reset your counter but at the same time they won’t count as 2 hits for the non crit counter.

This is why I focus so much on a single target is the only way you can truly ensure you are working vs a 5% crit chance, otherwise you are decreasing your odds by getting a 5% crit chance per number of enemies you hit, do I agree with this? of course not but this is how this ring has worked for years, they know how it work and haven’t fixed so they likely agree on it’s mechanics.

1 Like

This thread has become a help/discussion thread.

@SteazyBe

If you wish to continue this discussion you should move this thread to the Barbarian Forum.

How to Write a Good Bug Report

Thank you.

Moving Threads

1. Click the pencil icon next to the title of your thread. (See image below).

1. Click the "Category" field to bring up a list of D3 Forums. (See image below).

1. Find the proper Forum and select it.
  2. Save your edit.
This will move your thread to the selected Forum, including all replies.

It’s true this ring is trash BUT there is one trick (not sure if it’s a bug) that is guaranteed to proc the effect every time on-demand. And you don’t even need to roll off CHC from gear.

You need to find a skill that cannot crit. I’m not sure how many of these there are in the game but I know for certain that the Wizard’s skill Frost Nova: Frozen Mist cannot crit. It may be the fact that it’s an AoE skill that deals damage over time (skills that tick damage multiple times per second). These particular types of skills do not actually crit, they will only produce white damage numbers (never yellow numbers), and will not interact with other crit mechanics (such as Arcane Power on Crit). Instead they factor CHC into flat damage. Some skills that I expected to function similar to Frozen Mist do not work, such as Blizzard (it only ticks white damage but it does provide APOC) and LotD: Plaguelands. I have not tested every skill for this interaction, so there may or may not be others.

Broken Promises has no buff icon so the only way to confirm this is to have your sheet details open and watch your CHC number, which is really annoying because it covers half your screen.

Steps:

1. Equip (or cube) Broken Promises on Wizard
  2. Stand in density
  3. Cast Frost Nova: Frozen Mist once
  4. Wait for 100ms* without casting anything else. During this short time Frozen Mist will tick white damage and even with just a few mobs affected, these ticks will quickly add up consecutive non-critical hits.
  5. After 100ms* your CHC will max out to 100% for 3 seconds. This is when you use your big DPS skill or whatever nuke you got, and all damage numbers will be yellow crit numbers during this window. Ideally you will have timed this around your CoE and set up any other buffs beforehand.

*In my testing it was always 100ms, which may suggest some minimum ICD, but the concept is to wait however long it takes for ticks to accumulate to 5. In common density this happens very fast. For single-target situations this waiting time might increase. I only ever tested in decent-sized packs.

This method never fails and you can repeat it every 5-6 seconds. Try it if you like.

I may move this to the Wizard forum if it’s deemed a legitimate class-specific mechanic and not a bug, but I don’t think anyone cares.