Cow Level in D2R vs Classic

So with the beta closed I decided to hop on classic and run the cow level. Opened a portal and got dumped right next to the cow king and in the mid of the chaos I spawned into he got dropped. Now in classic that means that on that difficulty you can no longer access the cow level.

What if in D2R the cow king’s death didn’t lock out the cow level. It wouldn’t break anything balancewise and I don’t really know any reason why it locked out to begin with when everything else was infinitely accessible without needing to dodge around a single monster who could be dropped in .2 seconds by a leveled character.

Anyone else want cow king to not lock out the cow level anymore in D2R. Would be a qol change for the good imo. Cow level is a classic.

EDIT: Want to add I loved the beta and can’t wait for open beta/release. Didn’t experience any issues (though I do recognize others were having some technical problems. Hope those issues get fixed for those who were experiencing frame dips, crashes, etc.) Love the look of things (I agree the barbarian model could use a little more muscle to be closer to classic D2’s monster of a man barbarian). I’m not getting the hate on the amazon, even loading up classic Diablo 2 I’m still not looking at the new amazon and being like “man this is terrible” but I respect those who don’t like her new look. Very happy with D2 resurrected so far. Can’t wait to start up a necromancer again.

5 Likes

A ton of us want this change. Feel free to show your support in this thread that’s gotten a lot of attention:

2 Likes

It be nice, but I use a rushed character to open Cow level then log into the character I plan to use. But keep in mind I tend to play with 1 friend and not go into public games so we get all the drops.

Everybody is pretty much in favor of that. It used to not be like that, blizzard decided to make it like that because people farmed it too much in classic so they made it where you cant open it after you kill the cow king. So people just opened it on alts, so then they nerfed the xp in cows.

Everybody would be in favor of just reverted the change where killing the cow king makes it where you can’t open it up anymore but keep the xp how it is now.

3 Likes

This would be a really easy QoL change to implement as well too, just removing the line of code that kills the access when the cow king dies. I love D2 to death and am glad they aren’t messing with anything too heavily and I personally like the added QoL changes like shared stash. No reason really to keep the cow king death as a barrier to the cow level when we all have a workaround for it anyway like with stashes.

1 Like