Complexity for Lilith

Ok, I’m here to beg. PLEASE, do not make Lilith a simple villain, Blizzard. Just because she is a demon, she shouldn’t be the villain of this game. From the lore, I would think if ANY demon were to be on the side of humanity, like Tyrael has become for the angels, it would be Lilith. She loves her children, so much so she killed all of the rebel angels and demons to protect them. I would love to see a complicated Lilith, who may make bad choices or push for power/control, but who is more of a guiding figure, aiding the player through their shared goals. Thoughts?

3 Likes

From the lore, Lilith being legitimately good and for the best interests of individual humans is probably the last thing that would occur if the character is remotely kept true to. Refer to the Sin War trilogy, where the best precedence in lore for her character is established, and where you would learn she is merely exceptionally good at putting an appetizing coat of paint on an insidious nature. She’d certainly not be simple, but those who trust her, if precedence is any indication (in Diablo, who knows), are fools.

1 Like

I think she’s an excellent opportunity for a complex villain. I’d be terribly disappointed if she was just a straight up boss fight, or a “Muahahaha, I’m so evil” villain throughout the story. She has the most complex motives of any demon in Diablo lore, and often the most complex execution of her schemes.

I don’t think the Sin War well represented the villain archetype she’s supposed to be. And this is mostly because, imo, the Sin War was not terribly well-written. Her gloating dialog to Uldyssian is incredibly cringy to me, for instance. I don’t want to see the return of that cheese.

I’d love to see them take a second stab at the character’s depth. She does not need anything as hammy as a redemption. But I don’t want something as boring as a “It was all according to keikaku, mortal” master manipulator character. She has a very close connection to humanity. And loving a thing is not mutually exclusive to using a thing as a tool. I think I’d like to see her as both a mother and manipulator to humanity. A character who has their best interest at heart (Or at least their best interest according to what she considers “best”), but who is also aiming their power to fulfill her final goal.

Here’s to hoping they deliver a satisfying character whose goal is to end the Eternal Conflict once and for all. Blizzard has an excellent opportunity here. Let’s hope they don’t squander it. I wouldn’t mind if her ending was more open-ended too for the possibility of future stories.

2 Likes

agreed, she’d make for a great storyline. hopefully blizzard does not mess up her story. not only has her return brought up many burning questions, but it seems like its going to be complicated further if inarius is freed. those 2 have quite the history and now inarius cannot be happy with the high heavens leaving him to be tortured and obviously the burning hells doing the torturing. i think the lore says inarius eyelids was torn out so he can see the horror he has to endure. blizzard can do a lot with these 2 lovebirds if they dont mess it up. but lilith does seem more interesting.

1 Like

I was hoping for Lilith to be on our side honestly, in a war against heaven, or at least a faction from heaven determined to wipe us out, call it the malthael fan club or something.

Given recent revelations that the one summoning Lilith is indeed rathma (apparently someone from blizzard said so) it could be I get my wish.

Or they could’ve made Rathma evil for no apparent reason, but i’d like to hope it’s Rathma pulling a pro gamer move to protect us from some plot in heaven.

Edit: the “rathma confirmed” is up in the air and may just be a misunderstanding

No Rathma, no the good demon… because she is not…

She lived among humans longer than any being, except Inarius.
If the story is loyal to the character, we face the worst enemy that Sanctuary has stepped on since the Sin War, if she learned the lesson, I am very afraid that we will not be able to defeat her in “vanilla.”

2 Likes