Comment in Favor of Instancing loot and Removing Stamina Bar

I seen where he recently posted that they COULD add instanced loot, but it’s interesting to see he actually supported it.

3 Likes

The stamina bar is funny and classic. Also it does not even matter past level 20+.

Why would anyone hate on that?

17 Likes

Even David Brevik can be worng you know every one can be :slight_smile:

6 Likes

David Brevik of 2021 is not the same person which he was in 2000. Has he made at least one game since then that was at least as great as Diablo 2?

5 Likes

I’d say it is natural as you get older to not be the same person you were in your younger days. Mr. Lucas with Star Wars kept changing canon story, and adding fancier SFX just for the purpose of making it look more flashy. The response Brevik made in relation to the instanced loot was from a question asking if he had played Diablo 2 again in recent times and he said it was hard to go back, and a couple of aspects he would change would be those two things. Original creators sometimes re-evaluate their work later in life. He still is a limited space codger though, so he still sticks to his original guns on that.

3 Likes

he made nothing else rly… xD yo can you bump my guide :love_letter:

As you correctly noted, anyone can be wrong. However, there are a vocal few who claim that only D3 fanboys and those who have no knowledge of D2 want personal loot. No one would suggest that Brevik is a “D2 noob”.

I am trying to make the point that even the D2 creator would “love” (his word, not mine) to have instanced personal loot in D2. Personally, I think keeping both options in D2R would be ideal.

Some player want to play softcore. Some players want to play hardcore. Some players want personal loot. Some players want global loot. I am just suggesting that your loot style could be picked either per character or per the creator of a game session.

It is not only the original game creator that wants this change. It is clear a significant portion of those who pre-purchased D2R (presumably reasonably hardcore D2 players for the most part) also want it.

8 Likes

You enjoy diablo 3? so you want to make d2 more like d3? NO thank you. Tired of these threads asking for radical changes.

20 Likes

No thank you. No personal loot. Keep the stamina bar mechanic. And for the love of god, stop spamming the forums every day because YOU want additionnal features that were never in the original game. Yet, said original game did fine and became the masterpiece we all know today.

13 Likes

I am just letting other forum posters know that even the creator of D2 favors personal loot. I am fully aware others do not.

How would it harm someone’s experience if they prefer global loot drops to also have players the choice to select personal loot drops either upon character creation or per game creation. If you want global drops, you can play with like-minded individuals, nothing has changed in your game.

Others such as Brevik and myself and many others prefer personal loot. We can have the option, too.

Again, I am proposing taking nothing away from players who prefer global loot. It is their right to have a preference. I am suggesting that many others have a different perspective and preference where both can coexist. I do not want to impose my will on other games nor should other gamers impose their will on others when there is a compromise where it is a win-win for all concerned.

7 Likes

THERE ALREADY IS PERSONAL LOOT!

It’s called playing solo and/or private games.

21 Likes

If you make this argument, then I would make the argument that if you want global loot drops just play the original D2.

To me, both arguments are invalid as we are discussing D2R that is both a single and multiplayer game that has a public option.

5 Likes

You can said to everyone who made legendary movies like Terminator or Rocky, 20 years later.

Again. Choosing your loot style during game creation does not work.

Who the hell would join a game without personal loot???

Hence, that would be a forced option for all players. Very very bad

5 Likes

If you make this argument, then I would make the argument that if you want global loot drops just play the original D2.

To me, both arguments are invalid as we are discussing D2R that is both a single and multiplayer game that has a public option.

There is no argument. What I said is a fact. It sounds like a lot of you wanting these crazy changes are going to be disappointed. Thankfully, the people who Blizzard put in charge of D2R want to preserve the fundamentals of what D2 is. At the core, Diablo 2 is about loot and making it easier to get than LOD already did is a step in the wrong direction.

You don’t want to farm the same bosses over and over, indefinitely, hoping for that item you really want to drop? If not, D2 is, fundamentally not your type of game.

2 Likes

Seem’s like a reason to remove it.

4 Likes

You literally go up to battle against the Lord of Terror…
But wait first you shall be winded by walking 200 meters.

Stamina is dumb and pointless.
Slows the start of the game down for no reason.
All potions could be eliminated outside of hp/mana

1 Like

Yeah, you reminded me about Terminator: Dark Fate. :nauseated_face:

They have a reason for those who play the game in single mode. And listening all quests, watching movies between acts and so on. Those mechanics are working on the atmosphere. In such mode full walkthrough may take a lot of time for the first time. And stamina and mobs who can drain it fulfill their function on normal difficulty.

1 Like

The stamina bar is completely irrelevant in mid and late game.
I don’t see what good it would do to remove it.
Just embrace the slower pace in normal difficulty - you will speed through the game soon enough.

Regarding the instanced loot:
No matter how you would try to get it to work, in my opinion it would always affect the D2 gameplay in undesirable ways.

When it comes to picking up loot player behavior in D2 is very diverse.
The only loot that everyone will pick up is the very expensive stuff.

After that it depends heavily on how wealthy the player already is, how good their character is equipped, if they bother to trade with lower value items, what character they are playing and a lot of other stuff.

If you now simply randomly split the loot, many items that at least 1 of the 8 party members might have wanted will remain on the ground and get deleted when the game closes instead of getting picked up and used by the finder or sold to other players.

That would heavily impact the prices and probably put less wealthy players at a disadvantage because they can’t snag the loot anymore, that rich players will ignore.

I wouldn’t be against instanced loot in D4 if they implement it right, but I believe that it doesn’t have a place in a proper D2 remaster.

7 Likes

I tried to look at this more rigorously, personal loot actually promotes a more robust trade economy while simultaneously discouraging cheaters and leechers.

See:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/d2r-personal-loot-is-a-must-for-this-game/27592/205

That post is better formatted and easier to read.

2 Likes