Clones need to follow to next level

We’ll only know when they publish the patch notes for live.

2 Likes

Um, I feel this would be way to OP. I’m good with 60 seconds, but really think they need to enter 1 portal, if it is a quick level, they can evaporate. I just think it wasteful they can’t have 1 door follow command. I also think their skillset should activate at level one instead of whatever level their skills activate for the player(someone said 17, sounds about right for when mine started helping). But also agree single clone only. I’ve screengrabbed with 3 of mine on screen for monk.

And the next level they followed you into would have dervishes for ya :wink:

1 Like

4th slot is nice for many builds, but no more than a novelty for others. I believe the clones are going to be the real secret sauce for S22 if they don’t change dmg scaling. I was testing vigilance in 4th slot with a shield up on RG in GR95 & before it could hit me, my clone 1 shotted him, lol…

Yeah but the way the clones work right now, you get a pilar in the end of the floor just to watch the clone die when you hit the door, it is kinda lame

1 Like

I already have this listed in my consolidated feedback thread. If you know of other issues with the clones which are not listed in my thread, please let me know!

2 Likes

It does not die. It just does not follow you to the next Level.

There have been reports by other players who have returned to town to empty their Inventories. And while they were in town their Clone got the last few monsters they needed for the kill-count and completed the Bounty for them.

You can test this yourself. Next time you access a Pylon or Shrine near the entrance of the next Level, go down and then re-enter your previous Level. You will find your Clone still waiting there for you… if the 60 seconds hasn’t expired yet.

The only changes I would like to see to the Clones:

1. They last as long as the Pylon or Shrine effect with no influence from The Flavor of Time or the Gloves of Worship.
  2. They follow you to the next Level, including Boss rooms, but immediately expire if you return to town… for any reason.
3 Likes

I think you’re missing the point. The Clones are probably meant to act as partial damage… NOT your base damage in Season 22… because the current big buff is the 4th slot.

Actually, according to the PTR 2.6.10 Patch Notes, the Season Theme is about the Shadow Clones. The Theme is even called Shadows of the Past.

Seasons

The shadows, they are moving, and they seem… animated. It is as though they have a will of their own. Whatever this trickery is, perhaps you can use it to your advantage. Let’s see what the demons say when you fight side by side with your own shadow!

Shadows of the Past: Activating a Shrine/Pylon will spawn in a shadow clone of your class. This clone will randomly have 1 out of 3 predetermined builds. This clone’s power will scale with your character and will last for 1 minute or if your character dies. See below for the shadow clone variations that can spawn when activating.

It’s not until the last paragraph, above the Items section, under Kanai’s Cube that it mentions the 4th Cube Slot.

Not only that, but the title of this thread is Clones need to follow to the next level. So technically, your comments could be considered off-topic.

(Just sayin’)

2 Likes

Must be DH…WB a mechanic that doesn’t let clones attack unless you are attacking?
Also, thanks Iria, but with commentary on a singular item feedback thread; do you think it gets the same amount of review & response? Some of the issues raised in a 12 item compendium may not be as singular focused as those raised/replied on a post related to singular issues. Just my 2.3 cents. Thanks again

Although the point is valid, I do not agree that the clones should be allowed to go to the next level if only basing it on just how powerful they are. Them not going to the next level puts the Pylon management into a new level of actual skill and mastery, so to speak.

Being able to, or not able to properly manage your pylons during a run can be the determining factor in you getting the #1 spot on the leaderboards or not.

1 Like

If there was a way to directly control pylon spawns, then I’d agree. Sure there is some skill in knowing when to click it, but if it spawns at the end of a floor there is nothing you can do about it.

1 Like

No, it just means a lot of pylon spawn locations, which are near the exit of the current map, will result in you not getting the benefit from the clone.

There is a way. In a previous update to the pylon spawn, your rift progression (elite/rare packs killed plus overall progression) will spawn a pylon in designated spots. If you are progressing well, and have started the level with no pylons, it is advisable to run ahead through the spawn spots to prevent the spawns from happening at the end of the level.

Pylons will not spawn if you expose the area ahead of rift progression.

A lot of teams will take advantage of the pylon spawning by having one person run ahead to prevent spawning at the end of the level.

1 Like

There are multiple pylon spots throughout a level. When a pylon spawns depends on your Rift progression (based on elite/rares killed and progression indicated by your progression meter). You just have to remember where the spawn locations are.

Pylons will not spawn in already explored areas. Therefore, you can actually run ahead to the end, if you are progressing well, to achieve a pylon spawn at the beginning, or near the beginning of the next level.

1 Like

This requires a tremendous amount of map knowledge and memory, more than the average player will have. It also isn’t always feasible on large maps while playing solo (especially with a slower-moving build).

Let’s not confuse “pylon management skill” with “exploiting game mechanics”. I disagree with your opinion that clones should not follow to new areas only for the sake of pylon management.

I think the clones should be alive as long as their respective pylons are active, simple as that.

2 Likes

This may make the Flavor of Time too strong. It already is the best amulet for most builds in the game.

1 Like

Fair enough. I first thought they should move with you to the next level. Then I realized, it is just fine if they stay as it would give more challenge to top level players.

The average player doesn’t reach the high level GRs. At best, they barely make it onto the top 1000. If clones were to be allowed to follow to the next level, where would the challenge be for top level players?

At a certain point, it becomes less about the gear, and more about the player’s knowledge of the game mechanics and proper management of them.

The pylon spawn, based on progression, is not an exploit but an intended design. It gives the extra challenge to the cream of the crop of players. And managing pylons is a skill, one that the average player doesn’t even think about, but can progress much further if they do.

It is like riding in a bike race where everyone is of equal health and stamina. The skill isn’t in the peddling of the bike faster than the rest, it is about managing time, “rest” periods, deciding when to push, or deciding when to drag. Heck, you can use any sports analogy to support this claim.

Here is what’s known about the Pylons.

• There are only five pylons per Greater Rift run - Power, Channeling, Shield, Speed and Conduit.
  • They spawn in certain areas - there are a lot of these areas per map level.
  • They never spawn in an already explored area - which would make it seem that they have limited spawn areas if you cruise through a map quickly.
  • They never spawn after a Rift Guardian appears.
  • They spawn based on progression - There is a formula, which I do not have exactly, but an idea of it is something like … if progression = 30% or two elite rare packs killed, then spawn one of five pylons at coordinates.

It is a little more complex than that to be sure.

So, the player has to decide things like …

• Is it taking longer to kill this pack?
  • Should I group them up more?
  • Should I move onto the next pack?
  • Am I near the end?
  • I’ve reached my “30%” progression, and cruising, but no pylons. Should I take the time to go down a side alley where one might be? Do I have the time to take the risk?
  • Should I kill off these mobs on this level hoping to spawn the pylon at the beginning of the next?
  • Do I need to make a run to end, because progression is going well, to prevent a spawn before the next level?
  • Will it be more beneficial to me to speed to the end? If I do this, I can control the progression, and increasing the chance of a pylon spawn at the beginning of next level.

Sure, the average person doesn’t think about these things, but like everything else, the more you do, the more it becomes second hand nature.

1 Like

While this is true, you are also forgetting that you can cause yourself to lose a pylon if you overextend the map. In other words, if you are just short of 25 percent and you push forward so as not to spawn a pylon you can inadvertently despawn a pylon that would have otherwise shown up. This is why you can end up with fewer pylons than expected.

1 Like