Click Play, Opens Black Screen and nada

tried whitelisting the game for the AV no change…
tried completely disabling the Antivirus… No change…

having the same issue…pressing Esc at the split second when there’s a black screen didn’t work, as claimed by one of the replies on this page

updated Nvidia drivers (.41 to .67 ?) no joy…
windows is up to date

.68 is the latest version, right? I’m updating mine to see if that does the trick.

uninstalled and reinstalled worked… its loading now…
none of the scans and repairs did anything

D5B0E802-9C5C-409C-95AE-B3067161E0B8

is my AMD Radeon R7 240 too old for this game?

1 Like

same here. click play got movie watch then… black screen

Keep getting this error.

The application encountered an unexpected error.

when i click play i get instant crash. ive been trying for more then 5 hours to repair the unexpected error… unistalled Bnet and installed it back…I put a -ns on comment section… i tryed everything… nothing work i give up. pathetic blizzard beta as alwase…!

5 Likes

Same problem for me. I have this system:
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
GPU: GTX 660 ti
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 3909MB used, 6249MB available

I can’t even join a game on the lowest resolution with the lowest settings. The blz-log.txt just contains this:

8/14 08:09:23.575  [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/player/barbarian.json
8/14 08:09:24.564  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.565  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.568  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.568  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.572  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.574  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.575  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:24.576  [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: 'data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model'.
8/14 08:09:30.339  [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/player/barbarian.frontend
8/14 08:09:33.553  [BGSEnvironmentMap/4] [<>:0]: Environment Status: PROD - eu.actual.battle.net - Release
8/14 08:09:38.989  [Granny/4] [<>:0]: NewMeshBinding: Unable to find bone: 'weapon_club' in the ToSkeleton
8/14 08:09:38.989  [Granny/4] [<>:0]: NewMeshBinding: Unable to find bone: 'armor_buckler' in the ToSkeleton
8/14 08:10:18.324  [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/enemy/fallen1.json

Nothing else.

Managed to get into the gamelast night. I upgraded my graphics drivers and then it worked. But when i was trying to start the game this morning the problem was back with unexpected error message.

1 Like

Same problem with me.
Thinkpad x230 i7, 16RAM, hd4000.

Same issue here. Got home from work at 9:30pm, all excited and NADA. Played Civilization instead.

HP pavilion laptop.

Same here. I get black screen. I still hear the sound from start cinematics but can’t see anything and also have no control of anything. After cinematic the game crashes.

Getting the same issue on my end.
I have tried re-installing, repairing, even tried running the game in window mode or with no sound (-w or -ns) neither worked for me.
The game just flashes to a black screen then the error message “the application encountered an unexpected error”
I really appreciate people trying to announce possible fixes I would try anything to be able to enjoy this game with other people who can actually get in.
Its really disappointing pre-ordering a game but not even being able to play it; even through your pc meets the minimum requirements
Hopefully we can get an update on this and hopefully we can be told whether or not this is being addressed

4 Likes

Hey guys! I just wanna share my experience.

**Problem: Black Screen with sound when launched. Game crashed a few seconds later. **
I had the same problem: When I launched the game, all I get was a black screen and sound. The graphics didn’t load. Sometimes, I could see the blue BLIZZARD opener, sometimes I couldn’t. The game would crash shortly after.

Error Messsages
I also had the same error message “Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.” and [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/player/barbarian.json

Solution
It turns out that I need to update my graphics card drivers. I own a 2015 Macbook Pro and I boot into Windows via Bootcamp to play the game. In my Device Manager, it shows that my graphics card drivers are the most updated. However, that is not true.

So I went to AMD’s site to download and install the latest drivers and it fixed the issue - the blue BLIZZARD opener loads properly, I could see the Diablo II Resurrected title screen and it loads nicely into the character creation screen and I could play the game.

You guys may wanna check your graphics card drivers on AMD or Nvidia’s site. Hope this will work for you.

already updated my AMD it worked for 1 hr. Then after I logged off the game session crashing at launch issue was back. They will need to really fine tune this issue if they really want to launch it by September. I hope they actually push it back because this issue of constant crashing is really bad.

1 Like

Has anyone seen a Blizzard Team member response anywhere for this issue?
My husband’s computer has been able to run it but mine has had the problem everyone has been talking bout here.

I 'm tired of not being able to run it on my comp!

I can get into game myself, but it will crash my entire computer… sometimes in 2 mins other times its taken 45 mins. The sound will start glitching and i’ll know i’m about to crash. I notice my gpu memory is always maxxed while in game. amd 5800x, evga geforce 3080, 32 gigs of ram… My friend plays fine on his older video card. I’ve traded scanning, reinstalling, changing settings… nothing.

I have similar problem, described it and my system configuration here: