[Classic] What is D2 Classic?

Wait a sec, and sorry to continue this personal question here - but is the shield slot the only item that would be missing from Classic? Or is every Trang-Oul item absent in Classic?

I could do with 4 of them to get the meteor…

D2 classic doesn’t have any set or unique piece that is above normal base, as rares were mostly what was best in slot for classic. Classic also capped at exceptional base on items. Class specifics, elites, and uniques/sets above normal quality were not added until LoD. So all the sets listed under LoD in arreat summit are not available in classic should be the much clearer and direct answer.

2 Likes

Thanks again!

howls

No problem. It’s why this thread was originally started as a way to get shared stash into classic, since it is a vastly different experience from LoD.

1 Like

Defense: 599-684 (varies)(Base Defense: 198-213)
Required Level: 38
Required Strength: 92
Durability: 45
+180-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
Damage Reduced By 30%
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+60 To Life
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

Was not added until LoD. Not in classic.

it’s possible but i know it was in the game as early as 1.07 but it had different stats, just wish they showed the pre 1.09 item anywhere but i can’t find them

Prior Stats

• v1.08: Had +100 Defense vs. Missiles, +200% Enhanced Defense, rest is same.

And 1.07 was what LoD launched to.

yeah shaftstop must have been one of the first things i got in the expansion i honestly thought it was introduced in a pre expansion patch or something but my 20 year old memories fail me at times. i do remember though that playing 1.07 wasn’t really a thing because while you did install it with the expansion you needed to download 1.08 to play online.

It still launched to 1.07 as the base game, but yeah, had to patch update for servers I believe. Unless it was launched to 1.06 and updated to 1.07 for LoD. I’d have to look through my LoD disks, which someone else in the house has atm.

But I remember in classic D2 my first major drop. Arctic Furs from a barrel in either the Crypt or Mausoleum. I don’t remember as much from classic, as I have not touched it since LoD launched, but I remember the time up until 1.10 pretty well, and I remember Shaftstop was one of the huge items people sought and traded for.

Unless i some how got a really weird CD that was like a 2nd printing because it says version 1.07 on it and day 1 patch was 1.08.

Yeah, it was 1.07 launch, 1.08 day one update.

Patch 1.08, released June 29, 2001, same day as the expansion.

1.07 was: Paladin

• In expansion games, Blessed Hammer/Concentration combination imbalance has been corrected.
  • In non-expansion games, the Blessed Hammer/Concentration combination remains the same.
  • Zeal is now limited to 5 swings and gives an increased percentage to Attack Rating.

1.06 must have been where the beta test was, and they changed patch to 1.07 to change things in response to beta.

i know they had 1.07 and 1.08 but it might have started with 1.06 i don’t know i wasn’t sent a beta cd back then. But i remember an arreat summit news post about how the CD’s were printed prior to the end of beta so the 1.08 patch it ended on would need to be patched day 1 for bnet

I don’t remember myself, and didn’t play the beta. I just remember, as you said, having to download a patch day one. I’m trying to remember how Zeal even worked back on classic originally, lol. I never played past about level 35 on classic. I remember beating Diablo on normal around level 30 on SP, played around on open bnet with him, played a couple of other characters to mid 20s on closed bnet, then didn’t touch again until LoD which re-ignited my interest in the game.

I sort of wish I played Classic a bit more back in the day, before all the LoD patches came in and changed classic, but I just had a lot of other games to play back then as the close of the PS1 era start of PS2 era was pretty tight, and then I did a lot of online rping and hosting back then.

i don’t remember really touching the paladin much pre expansion mostly just barb and some sorc

Very nice post! Makes me want to give classic a real shot one of these days (only thing I did with it in the past was create classic characters to get C-rushed lol).

1 Like

Here the most obvius and logic answer as someone said in this topic, if you cant create an unlimited accounts to make mules, classic players must have multi and shared stashes, that isnt about if this is a change that will affect the game or purist like the changes or not, its already affecting the game with no longer space to stack things, they atleast need it to be fair with them.

1 Like

LOD or die muahahahaha

It’s never too late! Definitely a different feel to the game. If you don’t like it, you can always switch back :slight_smile: