[Classic] The Shared Stash

Except when I hear the term “Diablo II Classic”, I think of the original game, both with or without the Lord of Destruction expansion, up to and including the 1.14d Patch.

I get mad when I hear people say they want play D2 Classic but with the QoL enhancements of D2R (mostly arguing for the shared stash). If they do so, then it wont really be “Classic” D2, will it?

I know I’m repeating myself, but facts are facts. The D2R QoL changes do not belong in D2 Classic. Although the updated, more cheat-proof Battle.Net is a welcome change…

Personally, I’ll probably only be using the toggle switch between Classic/Modern views to properly evaluate the differences between the old game graphics and the new. Beyond that, I’ll always be playing D2R with the new graphics engine, QoL changes and all.

If I really wanted to play classic, then why did I pre-order D2R? I have my digital download of D2LOD Classic already installed, and I’m currently playing some offline characters in anticipation of being able to import them into the D2R Beta in August.

Err… even the newly released Classic WoW servers were given a few QoL improvements. It is still considered Classic WoW and is labeled as such.

Also, you’re splitting hairs with semantics here. Everyone in this thread is obviously referring to D2 Classic within the context of a Diablo II: Resurrected release.

The odds of individuals wanting to only play D2 Classic as you’d define it, on a D2 Remastered pre-order forum is very slim. Think about what you’re saying for a minute, ok?

4 Likes

Prometheus, I’m still not sure we’re talking about the same thing.
We are definitely NOT talking about the current servers.

We are talking about ClassicD2R, which is a game mode about to be released on Sept.23.2021

It’s got 4 acts, and different itemization.
There’s no reason it shouldn’t have a shared stash, being an Arpg released in 2021.

5 Likes

By this logic (and assuming I have understood what people have posted in this thread) D2R will never have the option to be “Classic” since the bnet servers are not the same as they were when D2 came out.

If games disappear the moment you exit them, it makes muling impossible to do by yourself, thus the need for a shared stash. Doesn’t really seem like too big of an ask. It’s not like people are asking for runes to be added to classic.

3 Likes

Prometheus is clearly trolling and his posts should be flagged as such.

Guys, a shared stash is nice and all, but think about the gameplay elements which you’d be removing! With D2R’s new feature of games not perming, we all have the opportunity to relive the nostalgic situations where as a child you became impatient and allowed an “online friend” to help you mule, gambling whether “online friend” will suddenly vanish! Even better, remember the mini-game of the mule hunt - we can return to a time where you hide items at an uncommon waypoint or some far corner of town in a public game! You can also relive being a mule-hunter and when you see mule characters joining/leaving with this timeframe you can now HUNT the obscure corners of town! THRILLING!

/sarcasm

6 Likes

The miscommunication here is with vocabulary, and it is the source of all of this strife.

“Classic” is a game mode that refers NOT to the original D2+D2 LoD. “Classic” refers to the way the game runs without the Expansion pack. It is a very different game – people play Classic because the enjoy the game mode more, not because they’re looking for some pure, authentic experience.

I wrote a whole thread about this misconception. Please read it before posting another opinion on the matter, since you are opining on a different topic right now. Part of the problem we currently face is that Blizzard (and many LoD players) are misunderstanding this fact.

4 Likes

Precisely. And Classic didn’t have shared stashes or anything, did it? People do not seem to understand that adding a shared stash to the “Classic” form of the game (whether it be the non-LOD version or not) will mean that it is no longer that “Classic” form of the game.

Please explain to me how my not wanting a modern D2R feature (shared stash) to be added to D2 Classic is considered trolling?

Oh, and to be clear, I consider “Classic” to be any form of D2 that existed before D2R, whether or not it include the LOD expansion. In other words, the ORIGINAL sprite-based game. I’m playing it again now for the first time in 7 years just to build me some characters to use in the August Beta of D2R.

I’ll be shelving D2 “Classic” completely in September in favor of D2R.

EDIT:
This entire thread is redundant anyway. D2 Classic never will and never should have a shared stash or ANY of the other QoL features being brought in through Diablo 2 Resurrected.

D2 will be in D2R. So why shouldn’t it get the QoL features? We’re not talking about the old sprite based version of the game. We are talking about D2R non expansion characters. People are referring to D2 without LoD as “classic” nobody is advocating for changes to the old D2 and LoD.

3 Likes

So Prometheus, you do not want D2R to have a shared stash at all? Is that what you’re trying to convey here?

I’m trying to find out if this is a communication issue, or if you’re really arguing for what it sounds like you’re arguing for.

You do not want D2R to have a shared stash? Yes or no?

1 Like

This language seems to indicate you still are not understanding what Classic Diablo 2 is.

Classic is just a game mode, separate from LoD. It’s similar to hardcore in that it’s just a simple toggle at character creation.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Diablo2 as it is played currently.

On a side note, I do not think you’ll be able to bring save files into the open beta.

3 Likes

If it helps the terminology we have been using on the modding scene since the announcement is as follows;

Legacy D2 Classic (Non-D2R, Non-LoD)
Legacy D2 LoD (Non-D2R, LoD)
Legacy D2 (Non-D2R, Both Modes)

D2R Classic (D2R, Non-LoD)
D2R LoD (D2R, LoD)
D2R (D2R, Both Modes)

Prior to D2R, Non-LoD was always referred too as Classic.

5 Likes

It’s because he’s trolling.

Please don’t speak for me troll, what I said was this:

Since you’ve asked me to explain how you’re clearly trolling, I will:

• Intentional misuse of vocabulary
  • Arguments and statements in direct conflict with your previous statements
  • Arbitrary, unshakeable stance against popular consensus while offering no reasoning
  • Misusing others quotes
  • Etc

Example: quote and respond to Dems clarifying the term “Classic” with “Precisely.” … Immediately misuse the term “Classic”. You are clearly trolling.

1 Like

I try to assume most people are attempting to make an argument in good faith.
I don’t like to assume people are trolling.

I also understand this player has said they have not played the game in 7 years…this tells me they are not as experienced as many of us here, and as such likely do not know the common terminology in Diablo2.

I would definitely like to keep a dialogue open, as many players do not seem to understand what ClassicD2 is, or why it is important to have a shared stash.

My time on battle.net has taught me that most are trolls. He can’t keep the benefit of doubt when trying to pretend I’ve said something which I haven’t. As to not understanding what Classic is, it was literally just explained to him. You know that he saw the explanation because he quoted it. Too many red flags in this case, but don’t let me stop you from keeping an open dialogue with someone who is quite obviously here to troll.

My memory is dropping things on the ground logging out of my game then going back into that game. I can’t do that on bnet 2.0, so your argument is invalid. Not everyone has the same memory as you. I have no friends! Lol

2 Likes

I think you’ve missed the /sarcasm part. I’m in favor of adding shared stash to D2RClassic.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m on heavy medication today due to injury. I completely didn’t process your post at all haha sorry man

Thats NOT what I said. You perhaps misunderstood what I meant by Classic Mode and D2R Shared Stash.

If I purchase D2R (which I have), and choose to play the game in CLASSIC MODE, then I expect to play it in CLASSIC MODE, which does not include the shared stash or any of the other QoL features introduced in the RESURRECTED Mode (Modern Graphics, Wide Screen support, Additional UX Components, etc).

TLDR, I want ALL of the new introduced features, just not when I play it in CLASSIC mode.

Wait so you dont want classic to have improved graphics in D2R? Why?

I personally would rather have resurrected features in Classic and LoD.

2 Likes

Classic will have the improved graphics, and likely a gamble refresh, and auto gold because of consoles.

This hypothetical “Classic” mode that is exactly like current ClassicD2, does not exist.
It’s also not going to be the same with the ability to mule in an empty game, joining with another character.

This is a new game, released in 2021, and it is insane to not have a safe way to mule items.

(It will also very likely have widescreen support) I think your expectations for Classic in D2R are not going to be anything close to what we see.

3 Likes